The WC Book Club : Forum : How to Teach

How to Teach

10 Years Ago

A professor of mine recently explained to the class that he has Teacher's Asisstants grade tests, even though he also grades the same tests. He then promptly throws out the grades that the TAs give, because the TAs always (literally every single time) grade too harshly. 

Q: Why does he do this?
A: Because the lesson is for the TAs, not the students.

From a psychological perspective it's important to consider why people stay active on WC. It is a social networking site, and users are motivated share their works, and their perspectives, so that they can receive positive feedback.

Even though I hate some writers writing, and their perspectives on this site, I always recognize them as valuable insomuch as they represent some segment of the general public, and therefore likely responses to my work in the real world. 

In other words, WC teaches how to be a better writer, in the sense of social politicking than it does in the sense of articulating your thoughts and ideas. This is why some of the most popular writers on this sight aren't that great, but they have the power to navigate connections that get them hundreds of views and dozens of positive reviews. Very few writers (though I have seen exceptions) join this site and instantly burgeon based on their literary merits alone.

In short, it is valuable to respect other writers and their opinions, because that is the only way to succeed as a writer.  

Re: How to Teach

10 Years Ago

Amen to that.