The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Hello?

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

Hello?

15 Years Ago

It was silent in the wood. The leaves rocked gently with the breeze.

I sat alone, a small pool of light in the darkness. My ears strained to understand a distant murmur, but it was only the wind.

"Hello?" I said apprehensively. It had been a long time since the wood was abuzz with conversation, but surely there was someone who would answer. They couldn't have all disappeared.

I called again, "Hello. Is there anyone there?"

A rustle in the leaves caught my attention. I was not alone. Something or someone was here in the wood.  I turned slowly. Behind me stood....

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Me!  I'm so glad I found you.  I thought I was all alone, and the Wood is dark and scary.  Maybe this is one of those post apocolyptic stories, and we're the last ones left.  We may have to learn to survive on moss and tree bark, unless someone else shows up with sustenance.  Fried chicken would be nice.  I am such a southerner.

Is there anybody out there?

Say, that would make a great lyric for a song. . .

Jeanie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Night had fallen; I could not see. As I hid behind an oak tree the darkness amplified every noise, every twitch, every breath of any creature. Obviously, I was not alone, though during the day when the sun scared away the noises it seemed as if I were. I waited impatiently for the sun to rise again, and continued on my way. Soon I came to a clearing; the edges of it were bathed in shadow but a pool of light illuminated its heart. Sitting there was a creature I could not quite make out. What was it?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Tis I, the Watcher of the Woods, the keeper of the flame, the tickler of womens fancy.  I have come to collect the toll you must pay.  Yes, you must pay a toll to proceed through these wood, or the trails will twist and turn you from your choosen path until you become hopelessly lost.

Why should you pay a toll to penetrate these woods, you wonder, thinking they are not so dark or deep.

Do not let the woods fool you my weary friends.   Several traveler have passed through these woods in the past year wondered the same thing and went upon their own.   They became hopelessly lost, never to be heard from again.  Perhaps they bargained falsely to gain entry, perhaps they turned back before entering too deep, too fearful of the beasties that lurk in the woods.  No one knows for sure what became of them, but their names still reside in the Book of Souls bound to these woods.   Many creatures lurk behind the trees and in the thick-thorny brush.   Agents and publishers for example who care nothing of the travelers journey, only the coins they seek from those who never enter the woods.

But I am a bard at heart, and will accept a song, a sonnet or tales of extradinary adventures by extra-ordinary hero's in lieu of coins, or gifts of girlish youth.  What need have I of girlish youth or coins, they will only satisify a momentary need.

Well, come, come, I have not all day.  The time grows near when the spirits will be loosed again on all hallowed eve.   You must be well on your way before then, or I will not be responsible for the terrible northern howlers who  approach in the guise of another famous bard of the woods...  His name must never be mentioned, even in a whisper.

Well, what shall it be? 

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

What story have I to tell? This cryptic male puzzles me so; for what am I to give him so that I am allowed safe passage through these woods?

"I have nothing, good sir, for which to delight you with."

He merely stands, silent and daunting.

I pondered his sincere silence for a moment, then I have decided. "I shall not pay yet. No token can I give to you, so go in search of one I shall. When I have been lost, I will achieve a wonderous and possibly dangerous and extensive tale, with which I will bring back and give unto for your enjoyment."

He nodded solemnly and stepped aside. "For not paying you are sure to be lost to the woods. It is doubtful you shall return..." He paused as I walked to the north. Finally, "Good luck."

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Watching the fair lass go upon her way, he smiles, then whispers the words he swore he would never utter...

Loeki...Loeki

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

As the old loremaster toiled over the pieces of parchments strewn about his writing desk, he heard a rustling in the slowly dying leaves. For a moment, he thought he heard his name being called. But he heard Loeki. A letter was missing. Or was it just a mispronunciation? Yet the whisper called to him again. Can't that bard get my name right?.

Slowly the loresmaster put down his stylus with sigh. The call reminded him he had neglected the Wood about his solitary tor; his focus on the spidery scrawls was taking him away from the denizen that moved about the twilight of the trees below him. With an effort, he walked down the stone stairs that wind down the center of the tor. Through the anteroom, lit with braziers of light, the loremaster walked, his joints protesting the speed he had taken.

With a strength belying his age, he pulled on the large iron handle bolted to the ancient oak door. The pungent smells of autumn rushed about him, reminding him of power of the Wood around him. In the distance, he could hear faint voices - some solitary, some in unison. And a smile came to his face. He opened himself to the power of the Wood. Without a thought, he plunged forward to be with the voices of the Wood, saying I'm still here!.

Ah, my dear friends, I have be a little remiss but I do have a good excuse. As I posted last month, I am part of a thing called Drink & Draw. This has provided me a chance to write short stories based on a prompt that I need to keep under 4 or 5 pages. This helped me get through the doldrums of the summer where I was stuck with my writing.

As a result, I am now totally focused on The Elegies. I have started to rewrite the first story and have started two new ones. Also, I am in the process of putting together a package to pitch this book to an agent.

So as the autumn leaves are falling to the ground and the air hints of frost, I am getting my s**t together. As I found with the Drink & Draw, I need deadlines to finish things. So step one is the completely revised, rewritten and reworked Stone of Blood. I has to be done by the end of the month. I have set a goal to have things up and running by January to start canvasing agents, magazines, etc. etc.

Ambitious? Foolhardy? Who is to say. But I am still about, lurking. Look to the mushrooms and you may find me.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The old storyteller smiled, knowing his barb had worked in drawing the northern loremaster from his lofty tower.

"Loekie my friend, it is good to see you."  The storyteller says, patting the stone bench next to him.

"Glad all is going well with your drink and draw experiment.  Yes...yes, timelines are very important my friend to set and achieve.   I myself have started my own campaign, ten queries sent to the scribes offices and waiting to hear back."

His friend Loekie looks worn and tired.   Obviously from burning the candle from both ends too often.  He would impart some important advice to his friend.  

"You know you can not hold up in that lofty tower of yours forever, you must come to the woods from time to time to refresh and view the weaves of the forest."  His friend nods and he smiles before continuing.  

"As to our beautiful woods, even now, a young lass is wondering its trails and I fear the beasties will get her before she finds her way back."  He looks down the trail, no sight of the fair lass evident.

"Even our Mistress, the lovely Leah, has not been heard from in some time.  I hope another band of bards have not kidnapped our fair beauty for her knowledge, or dare I say, use her in a most vile way."  He shudders at the thought, but can not help himself from thinking such thoughts.

"What of our buddist brother?" Loekie inquires, looking across the small open space to a statue of a small fat budda. 

"He too has projects and time lines, but I fear he may have gotten stuck in the lotus position again and you may have to go help him out of it."

"Why me," Loekie complains, but only slightly.

"I did it last time he got stuck.   Limber he may be, but those knee's can still lock up from time to time you know."   Loekie sat there nodding, looking down the trail. 

"Speak of the devil, look who approaches," she says, drawing my attention to where his gaze is directed.

It seems many of our brothers and sisters have strayed from the well marked trails.  

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

A chill whispered through the air as the bard spoke of the lost ones in the Wood. Had they lost their way; unfamiliar with the many paths that fill our Wood. And what of the Mistress of the Wood? The Wood is hers, she could not be lost.

But the loremaster was not worried that a band of mischievous bards may have kidnapped our fair beauty and were having their way with her. She is too wily and swift. But could it be she is under an evil spell cast by the Dark One? Trying to silence her dulcet tones? The loremaster shuddered at the thought.

"We must be patient, my dear friend Nick. As the leaves of autumn fall to give new life to the earth, so it will be for those in the Wood. Some may be lost forever, never having a voice in the Wood while some will find it again. Have faith.

"As I descended from my lonely tor, other will come out of their cottages, tents, huts or castles. They will sense the still air and want to breath in the earthy scents of the Wood. I know the fates will look upon the Wood kindly again.

"But as to our buddist brother, it is not for me to help him. Only he can help himself. One can only guide someone so far and then they must journey alone. To be One is not an easy journey."

"But there must be something we can do," the bard scoffed.

"Ah, Nick, if I were to aid him then one day, when he meets me along a laneway, he would have to kill me. Enlightenment is a solitary journey. Worry not, he is fine and hale. His legs will unlock in time."

The loremaster rose from the stone bench. "Look about you, ole bard Nick. Some prose from priestess Gayna echoed through the Wood and the dragonness Jeanie and scribe Amanda responded. All is not quiet in the Wood."

"But there is disquiet in the Wood. Our Mistress has not been heard or seen for some time."

The loremaster laughed. "Ah, silly, silly, bard. Do you think our Mistress has only the Wood to tend to? The Wood is but one of many things she is cultivating. She sows seeds in many areas."

"I still worry about her silence." Nick shook his head.

The loremaster extended his hand to the bard. "Then let us go into the Wood and search for her. Let us make this our quest."

Heartily the bard clasped Loekie's hand. "Let is be so. Together we will find her."

The loremaster looked down one path. "Let us start there. But there is one thing we must not do."

"And what is that?"

"No skipping."

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The old storyteller laughed, skipping, imagine skipping at my age he thought.  "I appreciate the offer my friend, but I must wait here and log the names of those who enter the woods, so we will know when they return.  No - I will wait here, patiently.  Well, as patiently as I can for our friends to return."  Loekie nodded, looking back to his lofty tower rising above the tree tops.

"You go ahead my friend, return to your tower and the chores and deadline waiting you.   I wont keep ye another mark.  Go, now....I am fine." 

As Loekie turned and walked back to his tower, the old storyteller returned to his bench, picking up his ledger to review the names of those still missing.

"I wonder how long that buddist fellow can hold that position," he wondered and tried to draw his legs up as he had seen William do, only to have his knee's protest with loud popping noises.

"Now, who is next.   Perhaps I should summon our lovely Mistress, just to make sure she is  fairing well.   I would never forgive myself if something has happened to our fair lass and I did nothing but stand by in silence."

The old storyteller closed his eyes and though of his Mistress, her lovely smile, and gentle eyes, not to mention her womanly shape.   A large inviting smile slowly spread as well as a heat he had not felt in some time.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The loremaster reluctantly walked away from the stone bench, thinking the old bard was an old fool. Waiting in the clearing with a ledger seemed to be a futile endeavour. Our Mistress was missing and other voices seemed silenced.

He called out to his little dragonet. The loremaster was surprised to find the link fuzzy and tenuous. Oh, it is Tuesday. I forgot. Loekie shook his head. His familiar was at the cozy Pub Etrange, with his young friends drinking and drawing. What help will he be now?.

"Oi!" The word pierced the silence of the Wood. The dragonet swooped onto the path, landing with a thud before the loremaster. A small burp, with a sharp flame erupted from him. Loekie grimaced as the smell of stale ale filled the air. "Ya summoned?"

"I forgot you were occupied. I am sorry pulling you from your festivities."

"Bah! Not a problem. Was a bad night anyway. The theme was really dumb tonite. So what ya want?"

Loekie eyed the dragonet, wondering if he was up to the mission. "The Wood has been too quiet. The denizen have not been heard from. Even the Mistress has been silent."

"Ya mean the shapely one? The one with heaving ..."

"George! I will not hear that from you! You sound like the bard."

"Well, hello!" The dragonet shook his head sarcastically. "You are talking about the Mistress. Are you the only man in the Wood not taken by her?"

"I do not see her in that way."

"Are ya a eunuch?"

"I see it was a mistake calling upon you." The loremaster started back to his tor. George rushed forward, crashing into Loekie's legs. He swayed a moment before regaining his posture.

"Okay, okay. Ya know how it is. A couple of flagons in me and I get a little crude. Look, it's only talk. C'mon! I have only respect for the Mistress." The dragonet paused. "And if ya is worried, then I have reason to be too."

Loekie eyed George, wondering if he was being truthful. He took a deep breath.

"If you are up to, I want you to fly about the Wood. Scout about and see what you can find. Yet look for all the denizen of the Wood. The bard thinks waiting will bring them out but I think we need to take action."

"Ya know, it is a little dark out there."

"The sun will be rising soon. The mists will burn off. You will be able to see clearly soon. And seek out the priestess Gayna, the dragonness Jeanie and the scribe Amanda. They may be able to aid you. And the moment you have a sighting of the Mistress, let me know immediately. It is imperative we know she is safe and hale."

George lifted his leathery wing to his forehead. It smacked his brow, causing him to stumble back a few steps. "I hear ya. I'm on it."

As the dragonet drunkly rose into the air, the loremaster shook his head. Should I trust him in that state?. Loekie lumbered back to his tor, contemplating other actions that might aid the few voices in the Wood find the others, especially the Mistress. He hoped he was not too late.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Between the winding of the Great River and the spine of Turtle Mountain, the Mistress of the Wood lit the fireplace in her hermetic retreat and turned her sight upon the doings of her comrades.  She feared they might imagine themselves abandoned. Great was her relief, and her delight, upon discovering the product of their ingenuity and imagination.

How could the denizens of the Wood know that the one who first summoned them thither had for two weeks been locked in mortal combat with the Tobacco Spirit, all the while entranced by the convolutions of political intrigue so dear to her heart.

Glad you've been having fun, guys.

Two weeks and a  couple of days ago I really and truly quit smoking -- haven't had a puff since.

And I've been watching the presidential campaign in true fascination.

My computer isn't functional for the internet at present, so I have to use my husband's, and don't have time for much of anything, though I've been guiltily thinking of looking in here.

Looks like I picked just the right moment.

Carry on, carry on! 

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The old storyteller smiled, the Mistress of the Woods had responded to his summoning.  He picked up his ledger and checked off her name, relieved he was not having to scratch through it.

"So Loekie thinks me crazy?   I knew something was trying to have their way with her.   Damn those evil tobacco spirits," he mumbled, taking another draw from his pipe.

"Let's see now, who else is missing?" 

He searched his ledger, while adjusting his seat on the stone bench.   His damn royds were bothering him again.   Reading over the names of the missing, he took in a deep breath before letting it out slowly.   "Some were so young - so young."

He put the ledger aside and looked down the trail, hoping the young lass would soon return without harm.   "She will be alright, she is wise and skilled in verse.   Still I can not help but worry.   There hides very nasty beast out there, like the one who dwells by the shore, a Zack they call him.    A very rude creature indeed."

The old storyteller tapped his pipe on the bench and put it back in the secret pocket in his cloak.  The same pocket he always had trouble remembering where it was located.   He again picked up the ledger and started speaking the names of the missing, hoping this summoning would help their spirits find their way to the woods once again.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The loremaster was hunched over his table when his thoughts were interrupted by a burp. He looked up to see his dragonet swaying on the window sill. He was shocked because it had only been mere hours he had sent George into the Wood. Suspicion grew in him.

"Have you found those I sent you out to seek?"

"Oi! Can't ya ask a question simply? What is it with ya loremasters, big words and long sentences. Sheesh!"

"Alright! Did you do your job?" Loekie roared.

"Yes. I found the Mistress."

The loremaster jumped from his table in joy. "Where is she?"

"She is a little secluded. She had been fighting the great Tobacco Spirit and a little too entranced by the court intrigue of the nation that lies just beyond the Wood."

"But she is hale?"

"Yeah. But a little grumpy. She ain't consumed any leaf for some time. Ya know how it is, a little crabby. But still a looker. Didn't like the robe she was wearing, tho. Not too flattering."

"But is this a permanent seclusion? Has she abandoned us?"

George laughed. "Nyah. She had some problems with the right components. Lost connection with the ether for a bit. But she's back."

Loekie smiled. "That is good news. But what of the others?"

The dragonet shrugged, letting out another burp. "Didn't notice anyone."

"Did you look?"

"Oi, wasn't the Mistress important? Like, hello, I give you good news and that ain't good enough."

The loremaster rubbed his brow. "Yes, yes, it was important to find the Mistress. Yet now we must expand our search. Yet there have been those like Kathy, the furbaby herder, Lisa the adventuress and Patrick the Celt who have been silent. And there are more we need to hear from."

George flapped his wings. "So ya want me to go out and find them, huh?"

"And the others."

"And what are ya going to do?"

"Speak with the bard. I don't know if Nick has received the word. But I rue telling him the good news. It will all too quickly degrade to inappropriate comments."

"Well, hello! Haven't ya see those heaving ..."

"George, enough! Go out there and fly."

"Ya, whatever!"

As the dragonet lifted off from the windowsill, the loremaster picked up his travel pack. From the table he picked up A Clash of Kings and slipped in with his components. He was almost finished and was ready for the next volume. He went back down the long stairs, hoping the old fool was still at the stone bench. They had much work ahead of them.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Another five days have passed - five days of silence in the woods.

The old storyteller shook his head sadly.   That damn loremaster would have to live on the top level of his abode.  How many times have I told him the ground level is less taxing on his old frame.   Still, the view from his lofty tower can be breath taking at times.

From his journey bag,  the old storyteller pulled a flask of golden spirits.   He held it up to the dwindling light of day to be sure it had not turned greem with time.  Uncapping the flask, he took a long-slow swig.   The spirits burned warmly, bringing a small fire to his otherwise fragile body.   Sitting the flask on the bench next to him, he again pulled out his ledger and read over the names of the missing...

"I wonder where the temprest Zuri has gone.   I owe that woman a dinner of roasted beast and tubers.   Surely she has not forgotten," he mumbled while looking at her list of credits in the woods.  

But he knew it was the time of season when the fairy's demand her attention for their celebration of the winter soltice.  She always helped them with their dance, music, and costumes choices.  Such a dedicated artisan she is.   She will return when the time is right, he reasoned.

Glancing bat to the ledge, he reads another almost forgotten name.  "Patrick, now  where has that boy gone?   Surely his task masters give him time to refersh his energies in the woods?   All work and no play you know..."

So many names to be found and so much silence in the woods these days, he sighed then looked up from the ledger as a sound caught his attention.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The loremaster let out a burp as he neared the clearing. He muttered a quick "excuse me" even though no one was about. Then he saw the old bard, still sitting on the stone bench. He was hunched over his ledger, with a bottle beside him. Ah, Nick. You will never change..

The bard looked up, a little startled. Loekie hoped it wasn't the burp. He did not like being tres gauche.

"So have you heard the news?"

The bard nodded. "Joyous as it may be, there are still too many silent voices out there."

"I don't think you can put those two words together, Nick."

"Are you putting words in my mouth?"

"What is I am?"

The bard shook his head. "I was going over the ledger."

"I know. There is Zuri, the amazon. The priestess Gayna, the dragonness Jeanie and the scribe Amanda. And we can't forget Kathy, the furbaby herder, Lisa the adventuress and Patrick the Celt."

"You see them a little differently than I do."

Loekie shrugged. "I have sent my dragonet to scour the Wood for our friends. But there must be something else we can do. Possibly send a message, let them know we miss them and are worried."

Nick puffed on his pipe. "How? If they cannot be found, then how do we get the message to them?"

"A spell perhaps?"

The bard cocked an eyebrow. "I can't do that and you sure enough can't do it. So that throws that great idea out the window."

"What about the Mistress? She has her ways with the Wood. She is in tune with it. There have been times we all have received a message from her."

"Some times too many." Nick sighed. "And a few stale ones brought back to life."

"Well, then let's see if our Mistress can help. She must be concerned also."

"Aye," the bard blew smoke rings into the air. He started to think about Loekie's idea.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Five days and five nights I had been alone, practically no access to the outside world. The silence of the wood was foreboding, not a voice had I heard since the bard. I wondered every hour, Will I make it out of here? Or worse yet, Will I have no story to tell?

I thought at one moment on the third day that a pair of eyes I saw. I blinked and if they had been there, they had disappeared. I was all alone. On the fifth day I saw the glimpse of the underside of a large bird flying over the trees. It was solitary and quiet; perhaps it was searching for something. It soon seemed that I would never encounter another intelligent being.

It rained the fifth night. A loud, unruly storm claimed control of the forest. I took shelter in the hollow of a strong, old tree. A family of squirrels accompanied me, and slept in my lap. The next morning, the wood was dripping with heartache and leftover rain. I pulled on my pack and continued, hoping that soon I would come across an adventure.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

"Did you hear that?"

The bard, sighed. He hated being interrupted. "What?"

"That whisper."

"Huh?"

"I heard a faint whisper. I think it was the newest member to the Wood. Amanda."

"The one who says she is irreparably crazy?"

"Yes!" The loremaster said eagerly. "I heard her voice."

Nick looked at Loekie, with disbelief. "And what did you hear?"

"The whisper wondered if they could make it out here. And there was a plaintive cry that sounded like Will I have no story to tell?"

"That is just mad talk," the bard dismissed the loremaster. "Every one in the Wood has a story to tell. They must just believe in themselves."

"Mayhap that is why the Wood has become silent. Is it possible that they doubt they have a voice, a story to tell?"

"Self-doubt it natural to an artist. They always wonder if their vision is original or worthy for an audience. But it should not paralyze the artist. They have to remember it the passion of creating that drives a true artist. If the passion is there, the audience will come."

Loekie nodded. "I agree. But I am worried. For some, the ether seems thin and they cannot connect to the Wood. And others have voiced, before, difficulties with their endeavours. Could that be what plagues the Wood?"

"Why do you have to always use Canadian words, you stogy loremaster. It is endeavor." Nick took a deep puff of his pipe. "But I see some validity what you say. Our connections to the Wood is difficult at times, without the proper equipment and incantations. And I have seen some wonder if they have anything to contribute."

The bard sighed. "Maybe the darkness that had descended on the Wood is more complex than we imagined."

"Then what are we to do?"

The bard picked up the flask of golden spirits. He took a long swig before offering to Loekie. The loremaster took a small sip, the sharp liquor ripped down his throat. The spirits brought some warmth to him.

"I think, together, we are stirring things. I sense a shift starting. Maybe more voices will start to whisper." Nick accepted the flask back from the loremaster. "Now let me think for a little."

Loekie groaned. Enough thinking. Amanda was out there. As the others. He sensed she was alone and could be found. Maybe George might see her. But he had to grudgingly agree that sensing the Mistress and now Amanda, there was hope.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

It was the sixth day when I happened upon the ancient building. It was tall, many meters above my head; it was old, wide, wild vines claimed its expanses and overgrown trees broke through its walls; it looked like the Mayan temples I'd seen in those picture books when I was a child in school.

It appeared to be empty and deserted. Its entrance was wide open and dark; no doors hid its inner secrets. I searched for a route around the building but found that the trail I'd been following continued through it, and there were no others to start following.

I breathed a gasp of relief. "Perhaps my story has begun," I murmured to myself, pulling my pack higher onto my shoulder, then stumbled meekly into the darkness.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Darkness shrouded my sight. I could not see my own hand in front of my face, if I tried.

I wish I could see.

A sudden breath of wind whisped through the expanse and the building was filled with light. "Oooh. That was easy," I murmured. Around me stretched a vast, open space, before me was still black with shadows but to my sides I could see to the walls twenty feet away, where hung no torches or lamps or lights of any kind. Where is this light coming from? My mind wondered briefly. I shrugged and walked on. As I walked, it was as if the light followed me. As I trailed along my trail would disappear into shadows behind me but the light seemed to always stay with me, no matter how far I walked. It seemed this building had no exit.

"Hmmm..."

First Page first
Previous Page prev