The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Do you believe in LOVE?

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

Do you believe in LOVE?

15 Years Ago

On this Valentine's day I thought it would be a good time to examine how we write about love. Are you characters constantly searching for it? Do they find it and live happily ever after? Or is your novel devoid of such romantic notions?

Love is an important theme in all my writing.

My first novel 'Servant of the Phrenet' is basically a boy finds girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl and finally has sex, only to lose her again. 

In this and Warrior Magician, the characters talk of the Circle of Love. When you find your true love the circle is formed and nothing can break it. When you die you are reunited with your loved one to be together forever.

The novel I am currently working on is about different kinds of love. The characters are searching for romantic love but they also must learn to love themselves regardless of their form. It also considers the love you have for your family and the sacrifices you are prepared to make for them.

So is there love in your words?

Gayna

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Great topic, Gayna, from my point of view.

Love is essential in all my work, either in its presence or its absence. Plenty of romantic love in my first two efforts, but in the current thing, Brothers, it's mostly familial love -- parents for children, children for parents, lack of love between siblings -- and one-sided friendship-love. Also, eventually, false romantic love (love that's mostly lust and manipulation.)

In my first book, True Minds, sexual love is a source of energy for special mind-powers, and that notion recurs in further stories that are still growing out of TM.

I guess I pretty much feel that love does indeed make the world go 'round.  Everyone wants and needs it, and the good in the world is accomplished by love, much of the world's ills due to lack of love.