The Writer's Inferno : Forum : A Note To All Members

A Note To All Members

8 Years Ago

Hello Everyone,

Please understand that I have nothing but the absolute respect for all of you who have joined this group. I have already received some emails asking me about how serious I am about "paying our dues"..

Firstly, I must frankly say, I truly wish to be a better writer. I wish to have a larger portfolio. I wish to have a published book out. I wish to have a better work ethic. I could go on... I wish to have a stronger "voice" in my work. I wish to have a more eloquent vocabulary. Etcetera, Etcetera. It is through this group that I hope to accomplish and fulfill many of these wishes.

But it will not be easy, and growth will not come with empty praises for my work, and neither will it for you.

I am asking all of you whom will read my work and the work of your peers to Demand better writing from all of us. Do not just accept what you have read. Ask yourself, "Is this something I respect. Is this something I could happily read again? Is this something I would purchase? Do I like what I have just read?" If not, let it be known. We are not a group of weaklings. The Writer's Inferno will be known for being filled with only the most bad-a*s of writers on this website. Are you with me?

I must also advise you all that I will be giving serious criticism to all postings within this group. It is my job to tell you what could be improved upon, what I liked, disliked, and what I thought could be better. 

If this criticism you are not comfortable with, please understand this statement I have made in regards to self improvement: "All growth comes with a grain of embarrassment."

Not that it is in my interest to embarrass any of you. But it isn't easy to be criticized. Simply remember, this is the Writer's Inferno. We are the renegades. We don't write for the empty praise and affection of other writers. We write so that we can join the exclusive club of artists, human beings who are able to elevate themselves through personal expression. 

Also, it is of extreme importance that we write what it is asked of us to write. For example, if there is an essay prompt, we must all write this essay. This is an essay group, keep in mind. That way, we can compare our writings with others, our structures, processes, wording, openings, closings, etc. 

Please evaluate whether this group is right for you. There will be blood. There will be tears. But if we persevere, there will be growth. 

I wish you all the best, and again, I tip my hat to each of you who are willing to take on this challenge with me. 

Aramis360