The Writers' Coffeehouse : Forum : A block even coffee can't help..

A block even coffee can't help...

7 Years Ago

Hey to my fellow writers!

I am hoping to start a forum where we can discuss Writers Block. You know you've had it. If you haven't, I am genuinely concerned about you. Or maybe envious. Likely both.

How do you deal with your WB? How have you overcome it? What projects have you been working on where it has crept up on you?

Let's all come together and help those struggling with WB pull themselves out of that murky place.

Re: A block even coffee can't help...

7 Years Ago

Hi! writers block is a bust, and still cant really manage it. I am very busy during the day but before bed I go over my thoughts through out the day and think how my experiences may help my writing. I go through many scenarios and pick one I can work off of. I love reading as well and that boosts my imagination. 

youneverknew

Re: A block even coffee can't help...

7 Years Ago

Writer's block can really be broken down into two different types of blocks.

1) Psychological: in which motivation, mental/emotional health, procrastination ect are preventing one from beginning or completing a project.

2) Creative Blocks: in which we are having difficulty with the process of creation itself.

The first can be remedied easily by learning about ourselves and our own psychological needs. One of the best sources I've found for dealing with psychological blocks - especially when it comes to finding the motivation needed to maintain focus long enough to write can be found in the first 60 or so pages of Book in a Month by Victoria Lynn Schmidt. It's an excellent resource and has helped me even when not attempting to write an entire book in a month. Victoria has a strong background in psychology so her insight into the psychological aspects of writer's block is fascinating and helpful.

The second block - a creative block is probably the most difficult to overcome. Some of the best advice I've ever received regarding this is to attempt to see the world as a child does. Try to rediscover playful curiosity! Imagination is something we all have in common and it's good to return to that childlike sense of wonder. Actively seek out new things to learn and experiences to have instead of mulling over old ones for inspiration. Ask dumb questions! That's what kids do and they do it without shame!

Trying to explore a new creative hobby can help too. Take a class in improve acting! Improve actors are trained to literally come up with stories on the spot including all the classical elements of conflict and and conflict resolution. In the same vein, you can even take it a step further into "geekdom" by learning to play a table top role playing game like Dungeons and Dragons. I know it sounds goofy, but it goes hand in hand with the art of improvisation and story telling. Role playing games are literally story crafting sessions with friends.

You may not come up with any actual ideas from doing things like the above but the whole point is to actively engage your  mind in the creation process...so that even when you aren't writing you are still learning how to create and tell effective stories.

Stephen King, whether you love him or hate him, said that some of his best story ideas come from asking the question "what if". Try it out in your daily life. Ask what if questions constantly - but don't just ask them you should attempt to answer them. That's a great way to crush writer's block.

Just a few ideas that seem to work for me. Hope it helps!