Twilight's Disciples : Forum : What Makes A Good Writer?

What Makes A Good Writer?

14 Years Ago

Personally, I think that the most difficult job of any writer, is to be a full-time novelist. Even so, all forms of writing require certain strengths from the writer! I would include imagination, determination and good time-management. But, what else would you add? Also, what qualities do you have, which help to make YOU a good writer?

Feel free, to share your opinions and experiences here...!

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I think having the ability to really create a mood/feel, as well as to paint a picture, is extremely important, especially with poetry.  Being able to clearly, as well cleverly, relay your message is also a very important quality possessed by any good writer.  I think writing novels and short stories would be a daunting task, as there's so much to keep track of, cooridnate, and to even proof read.  (That's why I stick to poetry.  With so many young children still to take care of, I don't really have the time that I'd like to work on my poetry, let alone a even a short story.)  As far as what I feel really makes a good novel or short story, that would be any story that takes me from where I am and putting me right in the middle of the story I'm reading.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I'd have to agree and say painting a picture. I love when I start reading a book and the way the author describes the setting makes me feel as if I'm in the book. I like to form pictures in my head about the characters as well and if you don't paint that picture it's hard for me to continue. I'd also have to say making it easy for people to relate no matter what the story is about. If it is say vampires (based on the current craze) the forbidden love aspect of it all makes it relatable to the reader. This might be being a bit picky but a thesaurus is always a helpful tool. I read the Twilight Series and I loved it, but Stephanie Meyers used the word incredulous on every other page and it came to a point where I started counting the usage. Most of all I think a good writer is someone who has a story to tell and is commited in telling that story the best possible way that they can.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

What makes a good writer? Let me see, well, I think that being a good writer would be someone who can write something, and evoke a certain response to his/her audience. Like for example, when the story is about a vamp being tortured to death or basically anything, any story, and then when your reader is able to imagine it, feel it, see it, and actually experience it through your words, well, I think that would make someone into a very good writer.:)

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

A good writer lives to write, and when they write, they write something new, or when they write something old, they write it in a new way, enslaving their readers. 

Whatever they write, they do it elegantly, personally, and honestly.

Re: What Makes A Good Writer?

13 Years Ago

A good writer is a person who can strap words across a page that capture the eyes of the readers desired. I don't believe that the writer is defined by the times that the readers put the book down, but by the times the reader picks it up. It's easy to get distracted, but when a reader is able to grasp the reader's attention, the writer is good, even if the attention's short.

13 Years Ago

Well I'm not sure what makes a good writer but I do know what makes a bad writer. Number one would be no determination/bad time management. I can't tell you how many novels I've started and haven't finished. Even if the story isn't that creative or well written, saying that you have written an entire novel is an accomplishment. You can always edit and revise and improve a poorly-written novel but you can't do anything with a story that has yet to be written.

13 Years Ago

I think a good writer is someone who can make you feel what the characters feel, make you want to continue reading until the story is over. They make you feel period.
I dislike reading a story where everything is rushed and there aren't enough details. I like layers in a a story. Tell me what they feel, what they see, what they taste. Are they scared, angry, hot, passionate? all of these details make a story believable to me.

13 Years Ago

Thank you for your positive and constructive contribution to the discussion, Angela! And the same, to the others who have added their views (so far)! Who will be next, to reply to one of my threads? Or, to even start a NEW discussion thread of their own? Don't forget - to invite as many of your friends on this website as possible - to join my writing group "Twilight's Disciples"! Who will be next, to join our group..?     Julian