Twilight's Disciples : Forum : "What Is Reality?"

"What Is Reality?"

14 Years Ago

This philosphical question has been discussed and considered, by many different philosophers. The great American sci-fi writer, Philip K. Dick considered this theme in many of his stories. One of our fellow Group members, has even written a thought-provoking piece about this topic! She is called Cappi, by the way! Why not take a look?

Now, what other thoughts does this question provoke? Well, it makes me ponder whether or not some people have a strong sense of "their" reality. In other words, do they genuinely have their own existence, which is quite unique to them? And if so, do they actually feel comfortable with it? Or indeed, happy with their lives? 

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality to me is quite inconsistent. It is this fake sensation of logical and "correct" awareness about almost everything which sorrounds you, at least until you come across something which does not fit the description of what is logical and correct. Then, your mind shapes real reality in a way to explain to yourself the object/situation according to your own reality so it would fit and would not disturb mental coherence.
Having said my description of reality, what is my own reality? it depends from times, what my reality sees more is the colors and shades, my own reality seems to be invaded constantly by shadows, some of them move and some of them stay still, each one representing either the lack of light or of something else. Then again, speaking about colors there's what I like to call the "lines", each person holds his/her own color of a line. Mostly green or yellow, lines are something very thin, if I'm distracted, even if the color is too bright or different I wouldn't notice. Heaven is seemingly falling nowadays, the night is somewhat just moving from side to side as dancing. People remains frozen within stupid consternation, insignificant problems which they think are real and serious. I remain hollow, no matter if I do not have any concern, any real obligation rather than breathing and eating, something is still missing. I understood one thing about me which set me free, but sharing that thought would be really personal. Within my reality I really think that which is left to do is to travel, reach Malasya and die a peaceful death there. Why Malasya? I don't really know, I just feel something is waiting for me there. I think I might have detourned from the main topic, but I hope at least I made sense.

Sichèrnam,
Demeter Suhcej

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is the thought that seeps in the brain that makes the question of what is reality? I will tell you one simple answer and that is reality is life.

Reality is the simpleness of living ones life to the extent of what the mind can hold, heart can beat, and what the soul can do. Reality is the key to immortality that keeps you alive and never stops breathing for being in reality motivates the feet to just keep moving.

Reality is not the fantasies of dreams or what you believe you can achieve....it is what you are achieving right now and the action of the present day is the reality in itself. So to speak, Reality is the mystery of what a person is doing and no one actually knows what they are doing until you start on your mission to success and for that...reality is a open book that anyone in the right mind can try to read, but cant understand.

I love metaphors

~Pixie~

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is subjective. For some, a medium-income job with a one-story house in a nice neighborhood is reality. However, for a Somalian kid who has never even heard of television or clean water for that matter, the so-called 'reality' of suburbia doesn't even register with him. It's like us thinking of heaven, we can guess but we will never truly know what it will look like until, and if, we go there. How can the Somalian kid even begin to imagine our lifestyle of office drudgrey followed by fast food and a movie? Although this is reality to us, it is not to him because he knows nothing of our lifestyle and therefore cannot make any semblance of our reality. To him, murder, war, and hunger is reality. To us, most of us anyway, this is not. So, as I said before, reality is subjective.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is that little voice you hear say "no" when you think there's something more than the eye meets. Pessimistic words for someone who lives daydreaming, but the fact is that I accept I'm daydreaming almost all the time. Reality is something which you would like to change, reality is that something you would like to make better, something which you don't like, you have to accept. Reality is just that thing you wish wasn't there.

My ways of thinking only  ^^

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Originally posted by Michael N.

Reality is subjective. For some, a medium-income job with a one-story house in a nice neighborhood is reality. However, for a Somalian kid who has never even heard of television or clean water for that matter, the so-called 'reality' of suburbia doesn't even register with him. It's like us thinking of heaven, we can guess but we will never truly know what it will look like until, and if, we go there. How can the Somalian kid even begin to imagine our lifestyle of office drudgrey followed by fast food and a movie? Although this is reality to us, it is not to him because he knows nothing of our lifestyle and therefore cannot make any semblance of our reality. To him, murder, war, and hunger is reality. To us, most of us anyway, this is not. So, as I said before, reality is subjective.

Somalian kids are the poor infortunate but God works through them to help them for he has no control of where you are born into, only he gives you life to breathe and feel Prosperity. These kids have help from world vision for that is God's messagers to help. Reality is the way you live in the now and you live for the future but dont think the reality is just living a life of a lie because that is what you call a fantasy.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Good question. As seen from the responses it is different for everyone.  Consensus reality is when the majority of the people believe in something.  It becomes reality even if it is an irrational thought for others.

Reality, in my opinion, is like time, and is forever changing. It's all in the mind and how we see things. Reality can be dull and boring if you are in a bad mood or the most beautiful place on the planet if you're happy.

Reality can never be put in a box and date stamped. I like to look at it from infinite angles but I prefer surrealism.

Dianah

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is a point of view.
I agree with the response that it's subjective. After all, my reality is not the same as, say, the guy who lives next door. To some, reality is based on religion, to another it's based on their job. There is no singular 'reality' because its all down to interpretation.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is just the lens through which each individual views the world.
My reality is different from my friends, which is different from their friends, and so on and so forth. We all inhabit the same space, breathe the same air, but our own thoughts, biases, and environmental upbringing tint the way we see that space, that air.
For example: in my reality, the world is small but wonderful. I've lived in eleven cities in two countries, and traveled widely. I don't feel like any part of the earth is inaccessible to me, and I thoroughly look forward to a new adventure. A friend of mine's reality, on the other hand, is that the world is massive, inaccessible, and frightening. She has never moved once in her life, and never traveled further than...well, further than where I live now. She's never seen the other side of the ocean, and while she dreams of visiting it, she's also terrified. Her reality is of a vast, hard-to-reach, and frightening world. As a result, our day-to-day realities are altered: I am generally happy with the world, she is generally frustrated. Do we live on two different Earths? No, but our eyes and our minds perceive Earth in two different ways. Those 'ways' are realities, and they are different for everyone.
~Katherine

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Reality is what it is... what it is... what it is... simplicity in all aspects... confusion in all colors... love in all forms... hate in all sizes... it is, what it is... and we cannot change it unless we take a real deep look inside ourselves and decide what it is that we desire to change within the reality.

Reality is the dream of something else. Or maybe the nightmare. Not quite sure.