Twilight's Disciples : Forum : How much research do you do be..

How much research do you do before you begin a story?

14 Years Ago

How much research do you do before you begin a story?

I'm just curious about what some you guys may do when it comes to research. I have found that I do best when I think of the idea first and then I enhance it with the research, But everyone's style is different. How do you do it? 

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

With me, I often use images in my mind, taken from real locations. Then, I tend to create names of my own for these places. However, if I was trying to incorporate actual folklore about vampires (for example), then I would be careful with the accuracy of my content. Even more so (of course), if I was attempting to write a factual piece. How about the rest of you, my disciples?

And, thanks for another thoughtful discussion thread, Surreal!

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

It depends on what I'm writing, really. I write a lot of pop culture pieces, so I try and 'infiltrate' that particular 'scene', even if it doesn't appeal to me. (It's like that bit in Peep Show where Mark is at the hippy gathering and keeps telling himself he's Louis Theroux...)
With one of my novels, I actually set up interviews with people who were part of the grunge scene and made audio recordings. More than anything, I was looking for the 'spirit' of the generation because the novel is very much character based and the audio provided me with heaps of info. And the story itself started as nothing more than a quick scene-bloke sitting in the bath/who is he? why is he sitting in the bath being all depressed?

My historic pieces are usually about what I already know, but I always double check my facts.

I find it fun, actually. I know that's a really geeky thing to say, but I can sort of dabble and almost experience something without ever really getting involved.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Like the post before mine said, it all depends on the story.

Most of the time, I do little or no research for a story.
However, for some larger projects that I do, I probably spend more time learning about what I'm writing than actually writing it!  One project that I'm working on is placed in Biblical times, and I found myself searching for hours on youtube, watching sword fighting techniques.  Who knew there were real ninjas?  My novel involves battle strategies, weapons, politics, et cetera, so who knows how much research I'll have to do!
~Lauren

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Idea.
First draft on ugly piece of paper.
Left alone for 1-3 weeks
Read idea again. Like it? Do research.
Go to library, read about the time, the space, all the sort of details I want my story to have in order to make it interesting.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Depends on the piece. I believe if you are doing a historical or period piece and using events, then research is very neccessary.

I usually write the premise of the scene and the do my research. I then write the actual scene based on the information.

Writing on current events it is imperative to be accurate, so I would say research is neccessary as well.

True fiction, I do very little research.

Hope that answers your question.

JC

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

no research...i write from personal experience...i fictionalize actual events....a bit...   change names...it makes writing so much easier on myself......all from experience in some way or another.....is reflecting on personal experiences considered research?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I always try to research the most of the elements I want to add to my stories depending on time and location. In one of my stories, which name wouldn't be proper to mention now, I had to do research about powder, when was it invented, when did it arrived to a specific location and became of easy access to people, government divisions and names, artistic works made during that time and medical advances during that specific years.
I'm sure most people don't pay much attention if what I'm writing makes sense or not, historically speaking, but I like to give my stories that kind of realism. Most of those began as short stories and I began my way to write books, but publishing books at the café is something I don't like to do.
Research is very important in a story, if you ask me, and it should be consulted very carefully.