UnReviewed : Forum : Memo's

[send message][befriend] Subscribe

Memo's

8 Years Ago

I thought, since messages for the group only go to current members and not potential members, I would post the general ideas from the memo's I send out to the forum as well.

11/23/2015

Rather than letting you know that a piece needs reviewing long after it's been posted, I'm going to send out notifications as new writing is posted to the homepage.

Hopefully this just gives everyone that little nudge of, 'Oh yeah, I'm still in this group, I should check out the new writing.'

11/29/2015

Alright guys! Review rate tripled this past week! If we keep this up we might actually get to showcase all of the current requested writing for the group by Christmas!! Good work guys & gals!

12/04/2015

Okay guys and gals, this is going great! I'm glad to see so many people participating in the group! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

12/13/2015

I hope everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit! Or Hanukkah, or Ramadan or Kwanza; whatever it is you may celebrate. =) Don’t forget to keep up the good reviewing!

12/20/2015

Okay guys& girls, I've been getting a lot of negative response to this group.

So first off, I would like to apologize if you are unhappy because you are not getting what you want out of this group.

Which leads to, secondly, if you have issues or concerns, please bring them to my attention before getting angry and leaving the group.

I understand it's a long wait time to see your writing show up for only a week or so, but I am trying to ensure that everyone gets equal amount of attention for their work. That also being said, I understand the annoyance of 'spam' emailing as well. However, before I was sending notifications of new writing, no one was reviewing at all.

So anyway, point & parcel; if you have issues, present them. And bring an idea or two for solutions to the table as well.

01/01/2016

So there's a few things that I am excited to talk about today, and I apologize for the lengthiness in advance.

First, Happy New Year! 2015 went out with a bang and let’s hope 2016 rings in the same way!

Second, in spirit of the New Year and new beginnings, I would like to re-up this group. If you like this group, find it helpful, or just enjoy being part of it then spread the word. I would like to challenge each of you to get 5 new members for UnReviewed. Invite, share, and spread the love; that's what this group is supposed to be about.

We've been doing really well lately with reviewing and getting through the mountains of requested writing, which brings me to #3.

WE DID IT! All of the writing that I had as requests at the beginning of December has officially made it to the group page showcase!! Be proud of yourselves!! I am proud of you! There's still a lot to go through, and I hope there is more to come, but you guys & gals are doing great!!

Fourth, in light of all this excitement I am going to be doing a group contest. The review prize will be a little more in depth, but the details of that will come with the contest. I'll be setting that up this weekend.

Finally, and most importantly, the newest writing in our showcase! It's been waiting over a month to be seen, so give it the love it deserves!!

01/09/2016

Look at us grow! I am very excited to see our numbers climbing and I would like to give a warm welcome to all of our new members! Thank you for joining; I hope you get what you are expecting out of this group. Please feel free to introduce yourself in the “Don’t Be Shy” thread!
If you have questions, and don’t find the answer you seek in the forum, please post a new thread there or message me personally.

I have created our first group contest! CHARACTER is geared towards analysing development and portrayal of the characters in your writing. It is open for submissions until the 24th of this month.

Now, as to be expected with a skyrocket in membership, we also have a sky rocket in writing requests. I increased the writing to display on the group page and may increase it again depending on how things go.
If you have recently added your writing to this group, PLEASE BE PATIENT. At the current rate there is almost 3 months’ worth of writing to cycle through, so do not think that you are being ignored.

01/16/2016

You girls, boys, men, and women are amazing! I’m so excited to see our review rate skyrocketing! I’m also very excited to see the writing pool piling up, and can’t wait to let you guys have it!

In light of both these things, I have upped the displayed writing to NINE pieces, and would like to impose a trial of FOUR reviews per piece. Though I don’t think that will be an issue because you’re all doing awesome so far!

To any new members – because we’re growing like crazy! – Welcome to the group! Please make yourselves feel at home here.   

Also, I would quickly like to remind you of the group contest we have going, CHARACTER. If you have not checked it out, I encourage you to do so.  

01/24/2016

We have officially reached 200 members! I am so glad to see so many participants! Thank you for your diligent reviewing, and if you are new to the group, do not be afraid to get in there! Your voice matters.

Our CHARACTER contest officially ends today! If you have last minute submissions, get them in pronto!! I will be going through the works as soon as I can and voting will be open at some point next week.

I would like to ask all members for any suggestions on the next Group contest. I would like to run a new contest either every month, or every other month. (We will see how it goes.)

And on that note of suggestions, if anyone has ideas, input, or concerns, DO NOT HESITATE to either message me privately or post in the forum.

For clarification on the forum, this is how the threads are set up;
Introductions of yourself, what you want from or have to offer the group, and other similar topics should be posted to “Don’t Be Shy!”
Questions should be posted to “New Here”, and (currently)
Suggestions for contests, to improve the group, or other general ideas of improvement should be posted to the thread with the longest title.
“Memo’s” & “Reviews” are mostly just to skim over for new members if you are interested to see some of the groups’ history/development.

01/31/2016

There are horrendous amounts of writing that are added to this group, you all know that. What many of you don’t realize however, is how it affects the group.

I would like to introduce some “Rules” for books.
If you have a completed book, add the BOOK and MESSAGE ME to give me heads up
If you have many chapters, add the BOOK ONLY, NOT THE CHAPTERS
You may add EITHER the first two CHAPTERS, OR the BOOK as a whole
State any specific problems and where you are having them in the author’s note of your book
Depending on # of chapters, # of reviews will vary – you may get 10 book reviews but only one or two per chapter

I would also like to introduce some general “Rules” for submitting writing.
Please do not submit more than 2 pieces per day
Please do not submit more than 6 pieces per week
If you have a trilogy of stories, you may add them at once, IN REVERSE ORDER, but do abide by the 6pc/wk rule
If your write already has many reviews, please do not submit that piece to the group. As the title suggests, this group is designed for work with no, or very few reviews

All of this being said, don’t panic if you’ve already added writing that doesn’t abide by the aforementioned criteria. Don’t delete what you’ve already put in out of panic and restart your wait time. However, please do your best to follow these guidelines from this point onward.

Also, contests will be held BI-MONTHLY (every other month). The next one will be March, and I will select an idea suggested in the forum to create it. So get your ideas in there!  

02/07/2016

Where are all the reviews??? I only see a handful of people that are consistently reviewing. Just for some perspective, 10 people out of 200 is only 5%! So where are the other 95% of you?? While content is often more important than quantity, I still want to see each of you giving your input to fellow group mates.

It’s the month of love, Valentine’s is right around the corner! So why not spread it around? :)

02/21/2016

There was no weekly message last week, and here is why.
The group has changed.

I was disappointed last week to compare two displayed pieces, both being approved with zero reviews, and finding the first to have 10 reviews and the other to have ONE.
Explanation? Does not matter to me.
I was ecstatic to see so many reviews on the first piece. I was proud of you as members in our small group. But to see so few on another… it’s disrespectful.

Does that mean I expected you to comb through every single piece of posted writing? No, I did not. I do not. But the number of views climbed substantially; the review rate did not.
Now, why would this be?
I am not naïve, I know. You open it and decide you do not like it; too long, too short, too wordy, too choppy, lacking grammar or proper spelling, has bad formatting, doesn’t hold your interest or attention.

101 reasons.

Haven’t we all realized by now that THOSE are so many of the things one SHOULD point out in a review?

If you take the time to read it, even half of it, tell the writer. Tell them what they are doing well, and what they aren’t. Take the time to let them know. If you do not, there’s nothing to say that someone else will.
Think of how you’d feel to watch someone read your work, expressionless, then set it back down on the table and walk away without a sound or second glance.

It would hurt. And that is every read without review.

"While building up others, you will build up yourself." 

I am sorry if this upsets you. I am not calling out names or pointing fingers here, and if I was it would only be towards myself. I tried to do something that failed, and I am honestly not that surprised. Perhaps someone else will be able to handle it and do it better.

Good luck & good day to all of you my fellow writing companions, take care.