Veneficus Philologus : Forum : The Rules

[reply] [quote]

The Rules

11 Years Ago

We are all going to have to go over guidelines.
[reply] [quote]

Re: The Rules

11 Years Ago

The purpose of this group is to create a steady flow of response to the writing of the members of the group.
This will achieved by: 
-Members commenting on one another's stories at least once each week.
-A rotation of who edits who's work will also be required each week. This assures that all who participate receive a wide range of editing and critique. 
-The obvious notions of respect and kindness are to be abided by. 
-Those who display higher amount of participation being granted higher amount attention towards their stories
- And If needed other means of communication will be set up in the form of chat sessions.
Other forum topics will be opened on request.

[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Hi,
I was reading over the rules, and kind of requirements of the group. Now I am all for more interactive reading and critique. Though I don't really feel comfortable with someone else editing my work, at this point in time. Now, that is not to say that I wouldn't love a detailed critique. Obviously the edits done by other members are open for discussion, and can be helpful as a creative writing exercise and there is nothing that says I would have to use someone's edit of my work. But if I may make a suggestion, that if we are all helping another author on their work, I think that it should be a detailed critique, not whole edits. I think I would feel like someone was putting words in my mouth, I know its kind of silly but... yea. 

Anna
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I agree with Anna. I really don't want other people editing my work. I'd rather them to make suggestions as to how to improve it. AS for everything else, it seems fair enough to me.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

That sounds fair enough.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Should i assign who will comment on who's work each week or should everyone choose their own editor/ author? I believe that a system that randomly assigns people to one another would probably work best, as it would assure a wide range of editing.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I would also like to find a way for us all to communicate with more ease. What would you guys think of using a website I would make as an organizational tool? It may be the only way we can set up live group chat sessions which might be necessary in the development of the group. Though I would truly understand If people are opposed to this notion.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

well I get emails when people comment and send messages, so I don't really think that it is necessary to have any additional websites. I think the maintenance of an additional website, and such would take away time from the creative and group process. 
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I think that the whole group, or maybe a smaller group like three people all comment and critique on one author's work, or assign everyone a chapter of one work. By creating a disconnect from the story line, it focuses attention on the individual issues that need to be improved. It just depends on how big this group is going to get. 
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I see your point. There is a true benefit from focusing on one work at a time, though working on one piece per week may be a bit slow. It would take a while to get to each story. 
I also thought that being able to have real time discussions would be a lot more useful than two dimensional posts. I find that when reviewing people have a tendency to be vague and quite less then comprehensive. I don't know how we could achieve a consistent depth in review that authors would be able to readily interact with. It takes a while for anyone to respond on this site and the ability to have a conversation would be beneficial. Though i do see the possible problem of safety that may arise from this method (though i see that as unlikely). 
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Another problem with the website is that people who have no connection with the group will be able to access our work unless you had a plan to overcome this issue...
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Also a good point. It seems as if the website idea has been over ruled.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

As far as communication goes, Yahoo, has a chat kind thing, and I think Google plus does too. I mean, everyone has to have an email address to create an account that could be used as an advantage to groups like this. Just take into account timezones and I think that would be the next hurdle, is getting those in a group to be able to come together.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

That sounds good. We should set up a chat to fully organize how we are going to do this just so everybody s on the same page.