W.U.A.M. (writers united against meyers) : Forum : I love stephen King

[reply] [quote]

I love stephen King

13 Years Ago

Stephen King via USA Weekend “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”
[reply] [quote]

Re: I love stephen King

13 Years Ago

I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King, but I'm going to have to agree with him on this one!
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Taylor H.
Stephen King via USA Weekend “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

Ive never read anything by him, but I think I might.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Oh, you should! I'm not really a fan of horror, but he's an amazing writer. Check out the story 'The Langoliers'. Really weird. But don't read it if you're going anywhere on a plane soon-mate of mine read it on a flight to Turkey and it freaked the bejesus out of her.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Nik Dendera

Oh, you should! I'm not really a fan of horror, but he's an amazing writer. Check out the story 'The Langoliers'. Really weird. But don't read it if you're going anywhere on a plane soon-mate of mine read it on a flight to Turkey and it freaked the bejesus out of her.

thanks for the advice :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

King's true work is the Dark Tower series. He never wanted to get stuck with the horror genre...he's just good at it. He loves fantasy, and even in his horror novels it shows. True he is a fan of horror, but his heart is in fantasy.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

P.S.
The Talisman and Blackhouse...also excellent.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Nik Dendera

He's fantastic, one of the few writers who could take a children's book and a couple of hour, and produce a best seller! And true, his Dark tower series is amazing as is his somewhat unknown prowess in the fantasy genre.

Max.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by James Watts
King's true work is the Dark Tower series. He never wanted to get stuck with the horror genre...he's just good at it. He loves fantasy, and even in his horror novels it shows. True he is a fan of horror, but his heart is in fantasy.

wow i so Agree i love his work  i love horro fantasy  funny childish imagination scary  romance  but  not a fan of Twilight  i wanted to see it cause was vampire movie  and i am not a fan of lotta chick flicks and i am female but  i  love more on edge your seat vampire movies ones that are not  chessy  and not enough  action in it  to even  be a good movie my husband said  Twillight was the biggest wast of money  i like romance but not Vampire movies to be like that it sucked But any who i love  Stephen King's  Work books are very inspiring to me takes me to another place i love it.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I found that yesterday and laughed so hard, I have one of his books.... but I am a slow reader and haven't gotten around ot it. I do love his movies though.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Stephen King is awesome.  Read his collective work, over a third are considered horror, others would be sci fi and he even has a few childrens books.  Classic werewolf story, The Silver Bullett, The Dark Tower series is great, most readers here would like a book called The Eyes of the Dragon dedicated to his daughter.  And for the writers, read The Dark Half.
I avoid most of the movies made from his books, too much lacking.  Although IT and Dreamcatcher were probably the closest.
Yeah I read SK a little....
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I think Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are the closest two adaptations. If you liked the Dark Tower, try : The Talisman and Black House (King and Straub) Rose Madder, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, Lisey's Story, The Stand, It, 'Salem's Lot, From a Buick 8, and Eyes of the Dragon...those all have ties to the series. Been trying to figure if Duma Key was linked, but not sure. A very good book, though. And if you like King, read his son's work. Joe Hill. The apple does not fall far from the tree.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by James Watts
I think Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are the closest two adaptations. If you liked the Dark Tower, try : The Talisman and Black House (King and Straub) Rose Madder, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, Lisey's Story, The Stand, It, 'Salem's Lot, From a Buick 8, and Eyes of the Dragon...those all have ties to the series. Been trying to figure if Duma Key was linked, but not sure. A very good book, though. And if you like King, read his son's work. Joe Hill. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Shawshank was amazing. I thought The Shinning was excellent, too. Obviously when you make a film, you have to cut parts out for the sake of making it watchable. The worst adaptation was Dreamcatcher. But then, I didn't think too much of the book. 

Does anyone know the name of a short story by King about a crate with some evil creature in it and it eats a janitor? And some guy's wife? Was it just called The Crate? (seems obvious, but you never know...)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

OOOOHHHHHHH yeah I think it was 'The Crate" one of his short stories I believe it was a Bachman book.  You evil person, now I have to search through the books to find it.

Dreamcatcher the book was pretty good imo. a step away from the horror stuff he was known for.  Shawshank was written as a movie in four small books if I remember correctly (fighting off the urge to check my bookshelf)  He also had a great vampire story called The Night Flyer.  For those that remember the night stalker tv series, same idea...... No i do not yet have the Stephen King encyclopedia and I stress yet.

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Shawshank was a novella in the collection Different Seasons. Titled Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. You find Apt Pupil, The Breathing Method and The Body (Stand By Me) in this collection.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Senseless whatever
OOOOHHHHHHH yeah I think it was 'The Crate" one of his short stories I believe it was a Bachman book.  You evil person, now I have to search through the books to find it.

Dreamcatcher the book was pretty good imo. a step away from the horror stuff he was known for.  Shawshank was written as a movie in four small books if I remember correctly (fighting off the urge to check my bookshelf)  He also had a great vampire story called The Night Flyer.  For those that remember the night stalker tv series, same idea...... No i do not yet have the Stephen King encyclopedia and I stress yet.

Cheers! It was driving me nuts! One of those annoying niggly things that keep you up at 3 am!

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

You will also find an adaptation of The Crate in the movie Creepshow, as well as the graphic novel of the same name. It is a bit different, as all adaptations have a tendency of being, but same story.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Shawshank was a novella in the collection Different Seasons. Titled Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. You find Apt Pupil, The Breathing Method and The Body (Stand By Me) in this collection.

Yes I stand corrected.  Looked it up after.  I was confusing The Green Mile and Shawshank.  My bad.  His short story adaptation to film are usually pretty close.  I was very disappointed in 'IT' and 'Tommyknockers"  Just felt the directing focused too much on the 'horror' and not enough on the characters.  The characters make the story.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Been reading King since like '88. It's a combination of story and character. King believes in story more than character, which to a point he is right. Without story, no matter how drawn out the character is, you would have characters wondering around aimlessly with no purpose or reason. I believe both elements should be balanced out, good characters and good story.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

My uncle's ex-wife, I still call her my aunt, has the King Collection any fan would drool over. All original printings. Hardcover copies, at that.

First Page first
Previous Page prev