Who needs help with Grammar? : Forum : Poetic Devices

Poetic Devices

13 Years Ago

Poetic DeviceDefinitionEffect or ExampleTonefeelings or meanings conveyed in the poemNot so much what is being said but how it is saidStanzaa grouping of two or more lines of a poem in terms of length, metrical form, or rhyme scheme.Provides order and an expectation of closureSimileA comparison between two unlike things using like or as.“My love is like a red rose.”MetaphorA comparison between two unlike things without using like or as. Something is something elseThe doctor inspected the rash with a vulture's eye.PersonificationGiving human qualities or characteristics to animals or inanimate objectsMy shoes are killing me.AlliterationRepetition of initial consonant sounds in a group or words close togetherPeter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.AssonanceRepetition of a vowel soundThe eagle lived free and easy.HyperboleOverstatement or exaggerationI will just die if I do not go to the party.SymbolOn object or idea that stands for something else. Common symbols for love are roses and hearts. A dove is a symbol for peace.OnomatopoeiaThe use of words which imitate soundBuzz, tweet, pingImageryWords that appeal to the senses.Creates vivid mental pictures (sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound).SpeakerThe voice in the poem (not always the poet).Provides focus.Oxymorona seeming contradiction in two words put togetherJumbo shrimp