Write = Get Reviews : Forum : ANXIETY

ANXIETY

11 Years Ago

Paramedics had radioed in the particulars to the transport operator and right away we were informed that they were bringing in a patient from another hospital in critical condition to the Emergency area.  We began to move in a synchronized order as we were known to do when there was a drastic emergency situation that had to be performed.  Fast and quiet steps kept pacing to retrieve what would be necessary.   ER number 8 had to be ready STAT. Immediately some of us scurried to open the room up as fast as we could. Instrumentation had to be obtained and another back table had to be set up.  The tech rolled in the heart lung pump placing it in position and began setting it up.  The anesthesiologist walked in, rolling his equipment and positioning it at the head of the operating table.  We were told it could be an open heart.   This room had been placed down in ER for emergencies like this one when drastic measures would not allow transporting the patient upstairs to the main operating area.                        My own heart kept palpitating so fast that I could feel the veins pulsing and throbbing in my neck.  I kept hyperventilating through my mask thinking that this shouldn’t be the time for me to get my asthma attack.    I kept whisking around the room overseeing that the right instruments had been placed in their proper position.  Everything had to be just right for this surgery.  I knew it was time for me to go to the sinks and get scrubbed.                I could feel the vibrations of the instruments being set up through the scrub room window while I kept scrubbing my arms vigorously up and down feeling more nervous as time passed.  The other nurses kept scurrying around the table, already gowned.   Some placing the sterile sheets folding them under, pushing then taught underneath the pad of the operating table, while the others in silence just with a glance were communicating the last details. This was a special team. They were the experts and moved in clockwork fashion.   The frantic look in their eyes could be seen as they snapped their eyelids continuously, opening and shutting them, just to relieve the extra accumulated fluids that had formed from all the anxiety they were in. The perspiration kept wetting their caps on their foreheads.                 Then we began to hear the sirens of the ambulance wailing their urgent cry and we knew they were drawing near.  The surgeon was already by the sinks giving orders right and left.  The desperation could be seen in his eyes as his face kept getting more irritated shouting stinging orders through his mask at the two nervous residents that stood beside him while he continued scrubbing his hands frantically.  This was just not any other case of a ruptured aorta I thought to myself.  He is too agitated, not the calm man I usually would see. We later found out it was his brother who was on the table.   The paramedics had quickly brought him to the door and then two nurses quickly placed him on the table and suddenly stopped and stared.                Our eyes met as I saw the fear in them.  His eyes closed.  His pale body motionless and stiff as a marble statue.   We all stood just staring silently down at him as he lay in front of us.  We had been ready and done our job for the surgery to begin.     Now we were just standing there frozen, feeling so helpless, knowing inside of us the ugly truth.   There was nothing more that could be done.

Re: ANXIETY

11 Years Ago

I loved it! I really liked how it grabbed my attention and kept me reading. The only thing I would revise is some grammar spots, just read it over and fix anything that sounds weird. Otherwise, really good job :)

11 Years Ago

Really good! Are you going to add more? I would love to read on and find out more. Excellent word choice, too. Grammar could improve but like the previous comment said. Other than that, LOVED IT! ~PDS~

11 Years Ago

Great write!  I felt the anxiety welling up in me as I read on!