Writer's Cafe Mentorship (WCM) : Forum : Volunteers

Volunteers

16 Years Ago

This thread for all who wish to be a mentor or would like to have a mentor. Please state your name and how long you have been at the Cafe. Also list what you think are your strenghts in writing and what is your weakness. This request goes for ALL volunteers in order to see who may be best to aid or who suit you.

I'll go first. My strenghts are flow and imagery. My weaknesses are grammer and spelling.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

(blows into microphone)

Is this thing on?? ::drool::

Aradia Redswan, serial number 1407, reporting for duty Ma'am!! ::tongue::

Strengths... many different forms of poetry, short stories, long stories, I'm good with editing. I tend to give honest reviews, which has been a downfall more often than not.

Weaknesses... I tend to be entirely too wordy in my writing... (See? I could've just said "I'm too wordy" and I would've covered that nicely, but no... then I had to go on and start to explain myself and exactly what I meant...)

See what I mean?

I also have a weakness for ellipses (right? I think that's what they're called. It's the three periods that you end an incomplete thought with)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Oh, my other weakness is talking to much...and using those three period thingys Aradia spoke of. LOL See Sexy Mama, we got alot in common. LOL I guess we couldn't help each other. LOL

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

We're beyond help, Girlfriend ::drool::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hahaha can I be both?lol

Well anyways, my name is Taja-a.k.a.- T.j. I have been on here for exactly five months now, and I'm a poet in general, occasionally writing short stories and essays. I am a very nice person, so you never have to worry about me insulting my mentors and/or the people that are being mentored.

My strengths is writing decent poetry,writing pretty good imagery in my poems and interweaving my emotions effectively in a lot of my poems.

My weaknesses is bad grammar, not being able to capture a reader by the first paragraph in a story sometimes, And not being that good of a story writer in general. Plus, when it comes to writing stories, I don't have much patience-especially when someone else didn't like it, so normally I have a lot of unfinished projects in general.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Most people know me whether they admit it or not. I am Erotic Goddess aka Stephanie. I think I have earned my name as well. LOL! I have no idea what to say here or if I am good enough to "mentor" someone. Amazingly, I have only been here five months, but I am among the top 20 rank on the cafe, which should tell you how busy I keep myself around here! LOL! I love this site and I have over 200 works posted on here in that short time.

My strengths: learning fast, writing fast, prolific, erotica in general, imagery, catching attention fast... I don't know, I write poetry, short stories, and have completed the first draft of my first novel. There is nothing that I won't try, whether it works or not is another story.

My weaknesses: I am a harsh critic sometimes. I know how to be a good critic, giving the good with the bad, but I don't sugar coat things either (Sagittarian in me). I will tell you what I like as well as what I don't and why, not rude, just honest...

I like to use (...) too and (!) a lot. I think it is fun! LOL! And people just gotta get used to it.

XXOXX
Erotic Goddess

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

hello.. my name is Morgan.. iv been here on the site for i belive 4-5 months..

my Strengths .... i write mostly poems.. i have good imagry and flow..

weekness and i know i have horable gramer and i cant spppeell.. hehe..

i recently have been playing around with stort storys.. i can keep a readers intrest but the gramer not good. hehe..

oh and i also do the ....... Guilty and charged

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

uhhh...Troy Baham...that's my name...yeah

well i've been here for about 7 months (ha, that's longer than some of you losers! just kidding don't hurt me...) and i write mostly rap lyrics. i dabble in poetry and spoken word sometimes. i take pride in my rhyming ability. not much else. thanks for listening...i mean reading

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hello! My name is Tiffany, but you can just call me Tifa. It's easier to type ::biggrin:: I've been on the site for four months now.

The weak points in my writing are POV and grammar...sometimes. I have a big problem keeping my tenses straight.

I'm not great at writing poetry either, but I do want to improve my poetic skills.

Strengths: plot (my opinion), spelling, grammar (sometimes), structure (sentences and paragraphs)...that's all I can think of right now.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hello.
The name is Janneke, you can call me Jann or give me just any name you like ::biggrin::
I'm 17 years old and I joined this site a month ago...

My weaknesses are.. love poems [why i never write any], vocabulary [I find myself with that english - dutch dictionary a lot], writes that need to be in a format, and maybe that there are times in which i don't write at all..

My strengths are.. well i can help you translate your poem in Dutch LOL, and i know a few other languages, grammar and spelling [ask Catrina, i'm a typo-nazi], free verse and trying out new things, playing with formats to emphasize, being very honest when i leave comments.

And now i got to run to work.. lol! that's another of my weaknesses.. i'm always late. though that is not really a problem when it comes to writing things.

ciao!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

The name... JadaRae...
The Real Name... Hahaha... nah I won't tell... today.
Strengths... patience, novels, short stories, and once and a while I can get a poem out of my head and posted.
Weaknesses... well as you see, I have a thing for those three periods... LMAO. I also cannot do one of those haikus to save my life. ::tongue::

I've been here at the Cafe for a little over a year.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

uhmm..
hi I'm Jonathan...
strengths? I think I'm creative sometimes... I see beauty in not so normal things..
weakness? I can't squeeze my creative fluids out of me... I am vulnerable to writing very sad and dark pieces which I find so negative... I can't write about happy things..
I've been in this group for only a short time so ... please be my mentor!!!
I need help and motivation coz I'm one of those lazy and pessimistic people. I often belittle my skills. I love writing but, I don't think I' good at it... i want a mentor who really tells me my errors and not just keeps on praising. I want a mentor who is a little like me... I want a real artist mentor... and also a friend..

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi, I'm Leticia. I'm new to Writercafe.org. and new to creative writing. I mainly write short stories and essays, but hope to a write novel some day. Erotica and Romance fiction are my passion.
I have a B.A. degree in English, so my strengths are spelling and punctuation, usually. I guess somebody's gotta do the dirty work, and it's not the fun kind. I can also analyze literature and be a good critic. In other words, I'll provide straightforward comments about someone's work based on the quality of the writing, not personal bias. Instead of general statements like "crappy writing" or "I don't get it," I would explain why something was not working. In terms of writing, my strength is dialog. I would love to write pages of straight dialog, but I'm here to learn how to write more descriptive imagery. I need help with this!
My main weakness is that I'm a novice and have a lot to learn about writing. I still write like an English major--dry, lengthy sentences and a heavy use of transitional phrases. I tend to over-explain everything because I'm not sure how to keep the rhythm flowing. And I'm just an over-explainer. I'd like to learn how to simplify my writing style and improve my technique. OK. I'll stop rambling now...

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Rachel Blackbirdsong...

My strengths is that I'm serious about what I do. I believe that craft is as important as content. I love form poems and learn new ones. Since there are literally hundreds of them out there, I intend to be doing that alot.

I don't care if poetry rhymes or doesn't, is formal or isn't, but I do expect it to capture my attention with the skill and voice of the poet. A great writer can make you care about anything. Even if its something you're certain you don't care about, a true literary craftsman will just by their ability make you care.

I also write fiction. I love flash fiction, but basically I love a masterfully told tale.

I have no problem being reviewed if the person knows what they're talking about and if it constructive. Telling me "good job," is nice, but it doesn't tell me anything about my work. It you like something tell me why. The same goes if you don't.

I'm also a good person and a loyal friend.

My weaknesses, is that I don't suffer fools well at all. I'm also not particuarly great with whiners, elitests, and those who take themselves so seriously that to crack a smile take effort.

I'm not a big fan of lazy writers, meaning those who refuse to correct grammatical, spelling, typing errors in their work. If you want me to take your work seriously then you have to do the same yourself. The same goes for me as well.

I do have a feisty temper at times. If you've read any of my comments in the forum you might already know that. But for the most part I am pretty level-headed and calm.

So that's about it about me I think.

Oh yeah, I have nice teeth. :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Leticia Bailey
Hi, I'm Leticia. I'm new to Writercafe.org. and new to creative writing. I mainly write short stories and essays, but hope to a write novel some day. Erotica and Romance fiction are my passion.
I have a B.A. degree in English, so my strengths are spelling and punctuation, usually. I guess somebody's gotta do the dirty work, and it's not the fun kind. I can also analyze literature and be a good critic. In other words, I'll provide straightforward comments about someone's work based on the quality of the writing, not personal bias. Instead of general statements like "crappy writing" or "I don't get it," I would explain why something was not working. In terms of writing, my strength is dialog. I would love to write pages of straight dialog, but I'm here to learn how to write more descriptive imagery. I need help with this!
My main weakness is that I'm a novice and have a lot to learn about writing. I still write like an English major--dry, lengthy sentences and a heavy use of transitional phrases. I tend to over-explain everything because I'm not sure how to keep the rhythm flowing. And I'm just an over-explainer. I'd like to learn how to simplify my writing style and improve my technique. OK. I'll stop rambling now...

BA in English huh? I knew it! :) Lucky me, I might learn a thing or two as well! :) I can help you with the imagery and the "English major" voice, I had that problem for a while too! :) LOL! Have you read any writing books? The bookstores normally have whole sections and I often go and sit and just browse through their books with a notebook taking note of things that might work for me and ignoring things that won't!!!

Anyway, I am glad to be your mentor, hopefully it will be fruitful! :)

xxoxx
Stephanie
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kim

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My name is Kim I am 43 years old. I wrote some things when I was a lot younger but life, children etc. pulled me away from it. My children are nearly grown and I have more time on my hands so have returned to my love of writing. I never knew if my poetry was any good or if it just made sense to me. I joined the Cafe in June, in that short time I have entered contests and won a few... I guess others like what I write! Giving me a little more confidance. Weaknesses are format, I will admit I never liked English class, did not pay much attention to the proper way to write (besides school being eon's ago!). I write what I feel, which most times is depressing. Since joining the Cafe I have tried other things, such as writing my first piece of erotica. I am looking for a mentor to help pull it all together.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Erotic Goddess

BA in English huh? I knew it! :) Lucky me, I might learn a thing or two as well! :) I can help you with the imagery and the "English major" voice, I had that problem for a while too! :) LOL! Have you read any writing books? The bookstores normally have whole sections and I often go and sit and just browse through their books with a notebook taking note of things that might work for me and ignoring things that won't!!!

Anyway, I am glad to be your mentor, hopefully it will be fruitful! :)

xxoxx
Stephanie

::cool::
Yeah, I need a lot of help with imagery rather than literal descriptions--and dimming the academic voice... I don't have any books on writing, so I'll check it out. I'll be happy to help with you with editing/proofing, if ever needed. Thanks!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Jeremy....inmate #108220....I was heading for the Narcotics Annonymous meeting and took a wrong turn somewhere....as for the ellipses....are those the periods at the end of a sentence like this......? Because if so I am an addict as well....

I have only been at the Cafe for a week or so....I'm still rather new and this is the first time I've publicly posted any works of writings I have....I'm interested in constructive criticism or undeserved flattery....who doesn't love a little unexpected a*s kissing?

Weaknesses....short attention span....extremely self critical.....tend to stay in my comfort zone which is rhyming format usually with a hip-hop rhythm....other weaknesses....alcoholic....manic depressive.....talks to much usually off topic....

Strengths....none.....the self criticism comes into play here.....I can keep a rhythm....and drink like an Irishman....

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm Erin, I've been on the site for about two months and am looking for a way to make my writing stronger.

I'm not sure of my strengths. As for weaknesses, I certainly know my writing often lacks overall unity and clarity.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My name is Kate. I am 25 years old. I originally joined WC April 2006 but did not become active until Oct 2006 so I have been on here for 10 months (not counting August).

I am interested in becoming both a mentor and mentoree. I feel I could benefit from being both.

My strengths are poetry, imagery, helping things flow well.

My weaknesses are breaking writer's block, grammar, and keeping a story going.

First Page first
Previous Page prev