Writers Against Bad Reviews! : Forum : Just feel like I have somethin..

[reply] [quote]

Just feel like I have something to say...Good Reviews VS. Bad

12 Years Ago

I saw this group on my news feed, one of my friends joined it, so I wanted to check it out. I rarely join groups, I'm only in about five, and I was going through the threads to see if this was something I wanted to be a part of. I found that I really appreciate this group and think it is needed. It opened my eyes to the quality of my own reviews, and though I never meant to seem uncaring or thoughtless, I realize some of my reviews are exactly what the people of this group are against. I decided I would think about this the next time I reviewed something, and I would then move on with my life. But I saw some things that I kind of want to address, not that I think anyone will really care >.< but maybe just at least look at my rant and think about what I have to say?

I know that reviews are what this site is about. I'm always happy to get a review, and very few reviews actually disappoint me. I'm happy that anyone would take time out of their day to review my work. I give all reviews I get either a thumbs up or a thumbs down (rarely thumbs down, but I have) so I know that I read it and hopefully the person who reviewed will see that I appreciated their time. I then  thank everyone who reviews me, but what I say in my thanks depends on how they reviewed me. I am very, very rarely insulted by reviews. Flame reviews insult me at first, but then make me laugh. I'm more neutral when I get an uncaring one lined review. I find myself happy for the rest of the day when I get a long, constructive criticism. 

I saw a lot of people on here hate when they get one lined reviews. Well I find that it depends on what that one line says. If it says something along the lines of 'great job another nice write', I'm just thankful that the person took time out of their day to review my work and move on with my life. But when I get a one liner that says something like 'I really liked [character name] because of [something the character did or quality of the character]' and thats it, I appreciate it so much more. Why? Sure, it was one line, but obviously they DID take the time to read it, you don't have to question that (and if they didnt they deserve to be praised for their faking skills), and they even gave you feedback on what was obviously their favorite part of the story. That's something I keep in mind when I write my next chapter or story with that character. 

Ah, well that wasn't really all I wanted to say, but that was most of it. This group actually helped me a lot to make me realize what I need to add to my reviews to make them better, and things that I shouldn't put. I hope there's more people out there that this group, and hopefully this thread, is helping too. I hope it's alright if I pick out a handful of reviews that I would never even think about giving, even before joining this group, and namelessly share them and explain what I didn't appreciate about them. (Please, admin/mod, if you find a problem with this please let me know so I can change it before you just delete the thread). 

very nice. one small problem in the second paragraph. Vampires can be born. It is a very difficult process, but it involves a male vampire and a female human. Eventually it grows enough to desire human blood and eats its way out of the mother, killing her. (yes the vampire lover had to correct that small detail.) If you have more questions on vampires, just ask lol. (I love them sooooo much)
Well. I appreciate that this person read my story. But. I'm sure you all see right away what was very unhelpful about this. I saw someone else in another thread (Sorry, I'm not using any names at all whatsoever, but you know who you are. I really appreciated reading your opinions!) talking about this same problem, or something very similar. This person was discussing sci-fi and how someone would point things out about something that was wrong in their story because they saw something else in a movie that disproved it. Well the same goes for fantasy. Vampires don't exist. So you can't leave a review like this. It's just rude. If I had been writing about Owls, or Cats or some other animal that does exist or did exist at some point, this review would have been helpful and appreciated. But a review like this is pretty much saying 'I liked your story, but unfortunately it didn't fit to my standards.' And for some reason this review is my featured review for this story? How does that even work? Please, if you didn't like someone views about a non-existent creature/object, just don't review. If you liked the story but didn't like how they portrayed the thing such as vampires in this example, give your regular review and DONT mention your own opinion on the subject (not saying to lie. But something like this is just stupid to even mention). I like when people disagree with something in my writing. But not something stupid like this. It was more...degrading, for a lack of a better word. 

Nice stufff
Really? Thanks for taking the time to read my story, but what did you like about it? Or maybe this is just false flattery and you actually didn't like it, but you didn't want to say anything because it seemed rude? Or maybe you didn't even read it and wanted to review to my writing because I reviewed to yours, and maybe if you returned the favor I'd review you again? And I don't mind a bit of misspelling in a review I get, but when you have two words in your review, at least try to spell everything right. 

... I got all excited to read it... but I can't read the font... its too small and in cursive... stupid eyes and inability to read cursive... I am sorry I couldn't read it...
Well that's cool. Obviously you weren't too excited to read it, because if you were you would have either A) copied the text, pasted it into a word processor and changed the font, then in your review request a font change. Or B) Message me and ask for a font change because you couldn't read it. Wait until I change the font, then read it. I normally hate things in weird fonts too, but I get over it, read it, and mention that I had a hard time reading the font in the review. Also, in my authors note (regular font, by the way) I mentioned that I wanted this story to have a journal, handwritten look to it and the future chapters would mostly be in a regular font. 

Well when reading through the other threads, these were the three reviews I was thinking about the whole time. Please never write a review like these. They made me very sad, and probably made you sad just thinking about them. Have a nice day~
[reply] [quote]

Re: Just feel like I have something to say...Good Reviews VS. Bad

12 Years Ago

Now I'm worried I'm one of them. I try to do a review longer than two words, but at times,  that's kinda hard. Pyrokitty24, if I'm one of those I'm really sorry, and this group is showing me how much reviews really mean. 
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Dearantlers
Now I'm worried I'm one of them. I try to do a review longer than two words, but at times,  that's kinda hard. Pyrokitty24, if I'm one of those I'm really sorry, and this group is showing me how much reviews really mean. 

I know right? This group had shown me that too. I never really thought about it until this. I really enjoy your reviews though, and I've never been upset at one I got from you
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

I love reviews no matter what. They could be one liners, but the thing is, I (very) rarely get long constructive reviews, which makes me sad, but I've come to love all my one liners. Because at least they wasted time to read whatever crap I wrote. And I always make sure to review back. 
<3
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Special Agent Fafa
I love reviews no matter what. They could be one liners, but the thing is, I (very) rarely get long constructive reviews, which makes me sad, but I've come to love all my one liners. Because at least they wasted time to read whatever crap I wrote. And I always make sure to review back. 
<3

True, I appreciate when people take time to review to my work as well. Sometimes there are just ridiculous reviews though, which is what I pointed out originally