Writers Are Us : Forum : Promoting Our Work

[reply] [quote]

Promoting Our Work

15 Years Ago

Welcome to Writers Are US!

As this is my first posting I will focus on what I am doing with my work this moment because I've heard from a lot of people that they've already completed their work, too, and are promoting it.

As a former Merchandising Manager for Expo Design Center one thing I've learned is Close Quote Follow-Up, which is cold-calling. The advice that seems to be working for me is to strive to be successful in my local market. Then as time permits I can branch out to other areas. I've found that local bookstores are anxious to help local authors. Big Box Bookstores such as Borders and Barnes&Noble are difficult to get into because you have to deal with corporate.

If you have a book, poem, anything ready for release, start at a small independently owned store and ask to speak with the person who can help display your book in their store. As a new writer they will agree to this on consignment, which is you providing the books for them to sell, and then agreeing to cut the proceeds. It'll usually be a 60-40 or 50-50 split, so don't be surprised. The main idea is to get your work out there. Then you want to post on your website where your book can be bought to friends, family, coworkers, and everyone who enjoys reading.

I got my interview on KUSI TV News (KUSI.Com) by approaching the commentator Dan Plant who happened to be in our store 3 weeks ago. I told him I was losing my job and decided to pursue a career as a writer. It turns out that a lot of people are looking at how people in my circumstances are interested in how people re-invent themselves. He gave me the name and number of his Program Manager and I kept calling until we came to an agreement for when I could be on their show. Being at the right place at the right time helped out, too, but so did persistence.

This is just a starter Post forum. Let me know of suggestions you'd like to read, and please share your experiences with us all.