Writers Are Us : Forum : Its not really writers block....

[reply] [quote]

Its not really writers block...

15 Years Ago

Sometimes when I am writing, I get stuck. I know that it isn't really writers block but it is aggravating just the same. I try to get into a certain "flow" with my characters but, sometimes what I really want to say, isn't coming out. It can be frustrating.

One thing I have found that helps me through these struggles is a little inspiration. Sometimes just reading someone else's work, helps me bring my ideas forward and I can say what I want to say. Other times, it's music. Music, I feel, is the one of the windows to the soul. It can be very inspiring and can also be just the motivation you need to help the flow.

Remember, a break isn't a bad thing so don't get discouraged. There are a lot of people in my house so distractions are a fact of life. Needless to say, I take a lot of breaks! The most important thing is to not give up! There's silver in that lining, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so when life gives you lemons...make lemonade!

I hope that this has helped someone and I want to thank David Lucero for starting this group! His success has proven to me that dreams can come true!

~Em

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I felt exactly the same during my times of frustration. You worded it perfect!

In fact, at my book-signing Jeff Edwards asked if I ever found myself writing and going off the theme I was searching for because I got carried away. The answer was yes! Then I'd get stuck, take a break, watch TV, read, go to the library, bookstore, anything to clear my head and re-focus. My notes help me the most, but then I'd sometimes get confused by going back to them, especially if I had a long break from writing (days).

What works for me now is that I stick to one chapter until it's done. I start another chapter, but first figure out how I can relate it to the previous one so that it makes sense. This way the story doesn't lose track of itself. It seems to work for me now, but I'm always interested in new techniques. I'm going to try some of yours.

Thanks, and thanks for being in the group! This is going to be fun!

David

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

When I write I start with the frame of the story from beginning to end in my head. It may start out ony 300 words or so. I build around that untill I reach what I feel is the natural ending or I feel a stop in the flow. Then I will change the format of my writing and have a character in the story write a poem. Which I may or may not use, but it changes up my thought process and gets me going again. For me this is a helpful exercise.