Writers Are Us : Forum : Steps to Prep for your first b..

[reply] [quote]

Steps to Prep for your first book signing

15 Years Ago

Well, I had my first signing yesterday at Mysterious Galaxy Books (www.mystgalaxy.com) and I was told by the workers that the turnout was the best first turnout they had for a new author. I really appreciated the compliment.

I think what helped was the advertisement I had on TV last Thursday. You can see it on my website www.DavidLuceroSandman.com > click on the Links tab > click on My Custom Links. There were people I hadn't seen in years so word of mouth also helped.

Jeff Edwards is an author (Torpedo and The Seventh Angel) and he and his wife have been giving me tips on what to do. If it wasn't for them I would've been completely lost.

Step One: Invite everyone you know (family, friends, co-workers) and don't be shy about it. Do not take it for granted that people will come. I actually had some people ASK if they could bring friends and family. I told them yes, as well as you kids, grandparents, and in-laws!

Step Two: ask the book store workers for advice on what to do for your book-signing. One of the employees (Ben) suggested that I create an album with a history of how I created my character and came up with the idea. I actually have the newspaper clippings, notes, research books, rejection letters, queries, you name it. This was a big hit because it gave them an inside look on the making of a book. They were very helpful.

Step Three: Read your favorite pages of the book, but only enough to wet their appetite! Don't give too much away. Then tell them why it was your favorite page. And don't tell them what page to look that up so that way they can be surprised when they come across it while they're reading it at home.

Step Four: Have someone take snap shots of you in action so you can post the pics on your site and such.

Step Five: Ask if anyone has questions. I had a lot of people ask me how I found the time to write, if I had other books, what was my next book (I tried not to talk too much about my next book because I didn't want to take focus off THE SANDMAN), but I did let them know the genre it is on. They seemed interested in the fact that my character is a revolving one that can be made into a series. Someone also asked if I was planning on turning my book into a screenplay. I don't have that type of writing experience yet and I told her until I'm ready for a change I will stick to novels.

Step Six: When you're signing your book for readers, write on the title page, not the blank one ( I didn't know that ). Apparently there is a standard. I also had bookmarkers with my SANDMAN Logo that I placed in the book for each person who bought my book ( I was shown that during the signing - oops).

Step Seven: My wife bought a cake and had the baker laser print the cover design of my book on it. They loved it!

Step Eight: They want to hear you praise your book, so talk about what you love the most about it and why. Do not be shy and don't think you're being vain! They want to know and it generates excitement. Some of the people there I had never met and they were very interested. Be talkative, Smile, and have fun! Practice before you go (I was in my garage reading aloud the pages I was going to read and what I would be saying ). My wife asked me what I was doing -- I was only a little embarrassed!

Step Nine: Book signings usually last one hour, two tops, so make the most of it. I'll give you more info later. I haven't finished all of my notes yet.

It was a great ride and I can't wait for more.

David