Writers Are Us : Forum : The Power of Networking!

[reply] [quote]

The Power of Networking!

15 Years Ago

It may be obvious, but the power of network is an excellent tool for writers to get noticed.

It was suggested to me by a fellow author to make friends with other authors. One of the pieces of advice I received was to join Facebook.com. I was amazed how many people are on there. It's even more popular than MySpace.com.

I made friends with authors Anne Rice, Brett Ellen Block, Joe Buff, and more. I introduced myself as an author looking to network and make friends, and at the same time share advice.

Anne Rice said the best way for us is to use the internet. It's been a powerful tool for new writers.

Brett Ellen Block said the web, local bookstores, and libraries is also a good start.

What has been encouraging is that these Name Authors want to help!

So this forum is dedicated to the power of networking. It leaves you encouraged and inspired.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I took your advice David and e-mailed a local paper and TV studio.  I got an e-mail from Whendy Lou this morning saying that she is the program director, local newspaper writer and has her own local TV show.  It figures the first person I contact on TV is a cartoon character although her last name is Nellems not Who.

She said she would love to interview me on her show and that she was looking for writer's to help her develop other shows.  It's all volinteer type of bad TV but this is local fame, isn't it.  One door leads to two more doors.

I got more info on Zabaretkabooks.com.  I going to sign up today.  Thanks for mentioning Eargon quick fame. You never know.  Did you know it took tens years, after it was finished, for the "Wizard of Oz" to become a children's book.

Thanks for the advice.

MTS

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Wow! Anne Rice...really??!?!? Nice! Anyway, I don't feel I can promote too much because I don't have a finished product but at least I have some ideas on where to start! You have no idea how helpful you and Matt have been.

I did some research on publishing and found this on Janet Evanovich website. It gives you some step by step directions on getting published.

What do you think? Does this sum it up?

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I've been learning that local libraries stage author events (especially for local authors) throughout the year. Mainly May through October, and the positions fill up fast. Last Wednesday I went to my favorite Used Book Store (Wahrenbrocks) in downtown San Diego and introduced myself to the owner. It felt good to tell him I achieved my goal of becoming an author because for years I admired the list of authors in his store. He suggested a name of someone at our City College.

When I called her the next day she said funds were tight and positions were filled up for authors to speak and attend. I sensed disappointment in her tone when she told me this, so my salesmanship experience kicked in and I volunteered to provide my own table, tent, cooler to provide water for guests, and even offered to help setup the event. All I asked in return was for a guaranteed spot to setup my book table. Her next response to me was, "Consider yourself in the event!"

So the lesson for me learned here is; just because it appears you're too late doesn't mean you have to stop there. It costs libraries money to rent tables, tents, and to provide food and drink for guests. If we have the ability to take some of the load ourselves offer that as a means of getting your foot in the door.

My wife and I are avid outdoor lovers! We have all the up-to-date camping equipment (courtesy of REI), so it was no problem for me to offer the help. I even clinched another book-signing event with a local library branch by doing the same thing this morning. But don't wait too long! Libraries post events months in advance, so ask for a listing of events you may attend now.

Good luck to us and more to follow!

David