Writers Are Us : Forum : Using the Web to promote your ..

[reply] [quote]

Using the Web to promote your work

14 Years Ago

As I continue to dive into the world of self-promoting I am amazed at the avenues of promoting books. It's nonstop. Last Saturday I attended a Writers Seminar and was reminded why I like going to such seminars as well as keeping away from them.

I will admit this time felt different when a few authors asked me for advice on publishing, but I did feel the need to be careful and not overdo it since I was in the company of more accomplished authors. Only they weren't so willing to share their path to success unless you paid the fee to attend their upcoming seminar (that was the part I hated about the seminar).

I've been to so many I lost count and am glad I saw how repetitious the information could be. Some of it was helpful and inspiring. Like how to draw attention to yourself, websites to look into, etc.

Twitter.com, LinkedIn.com, and Facebook.com are some sites that have proven to get attention. I find people are following me, as the term is referred to on Twitter, that work for radio, media, publishing groups, etc. Although nothing has panned out yet (patience is a virtue) it feels nice that people are looking me up. I would suggest you sign up for such sites to promote yourself. They're free and can be helpful in your network.

There's also a local San Diego link called eventful.com and upcoming.org, which are free sites you may post your events on the web. They're very simple to use and add a touch of flair to your promotions.

Also, sign up for a free account on Amazon.com and set up a listmania.com on the site. You have to purchase something on Amazon.com to do this and wait 24 hours before you can set up your list. Then you can add books, DVDs, CDs, anything you want to help promote and sell your work and send invites to people you know. Amazon.com is a good way to reach to people because they offer free shipping and lower prices for your book. Check out my account and see what I mean.

I hope this helps and as Matt Schott says, Keep on Writing (KOW).

David