Writers For Change : Forum : Iraq - The Hot Topic

[reply] [quote]

Iraq - The Hot Topic

16 Years Ago

Give us a rant in less than 100 words on why you think the Iraq war is right or wrong.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Oh, the 100 words part was tough! I whittled the original 154 down to this:

An American with a comfortable life, I haven�t really feared for my safety until now. I fear the crazed third world militants who are a disgrace not only to the faith that they claim, but to others within their ancestry.

I fear them because those in charge of my country seized the panic mentally of post 911 to make terribly wrong decisions and to increase their own power beyond reason. This has culminated in usurping one of our most precious resources, our honorable all-volunteer military. Zealots now use Iraq as a portal to weaken us and we are left virtually defenseless.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Haliburton was contracted to rebuild Iraq, before we ever caught Saddam.
They blatantly called it an invasion.
People had to buy their kids bullet-proof vests, because the military wouldn't provide them.
You can't impose your will on other cultures, and regions. No matter how you disagree with them.
Gas prices keep climbing.
Groups of people are being killed everyday, therefore things are not better than when we "arrived".
Religious overtones, capitalistic dominance, weakening of America's collective spine, terror still abound, blah, blah, blah, etc...
That's why the war is wrong.
I think that's 100, or close to it.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

The War in Iraq is a horrible mess but not all the people there are our enemy. Many decent and good people were murdered and tortured under the regimes rule. Maybe weapons of Mass destruction were never found but mass graves, torture chambers, rape rooms, etc were. Schools are being built, the sick are being treated, yes progress is slow but things dont just change over night. It is not the Iraqy people who are causing alot of the current problems but terrorists who use the situation to contaminate the world with their views. Our military force is doing what it can and they are seeing the horror of what a dictorship can do to a country and its inhabitants first hand. This is something that will have to live with for the rest of their lives.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have a few rants to relate to this topic. Any of you go to Iraq or have someone over there. I did, my only son. He was just in his early twenties when he got sent over in the first wave of taking the airport, Suddam's home town of Tirkrit. He was in hand to hand fighting, kicking down doors, blowing up building, etc. He found a torture chamber where human blood and skin could still be seen on the walls, floor and on the torture devises. The door was booby trapped and thank God he didn't trip the thing or he and his team would be dead. While trying to dig out areas to build barracks for our troops they found three mass graves and had citizens coming up begging them to find missing loved ones and all they could do was send them to a tent for DNA test against the thousands of bones they had found not to mention the kurd soldiers who got upset at hearing the American soldiers maybe leaving, they said they would be slaughtered when we pulled out. He saw a little girl and her family get gunned down in the street for accepting food from GI's, they were called traitors. War is ugly!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I agree with the WAR on TERRORISM in Iraq 100%, but we are not allowed to fight a war. We are sending troops over to fight a war, yet we arrest them when they shoot innocent people. That is part of war. We are never going to get anywhere until we go back to the ways of the militia men in the Revolutionary War and stop caring what other people think and do our damn job.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I agree with the war in Iraq 100%. Many people that I discuss this with do not see that if we hadn�t intervened, that Iraq would�ve sponsored terrorists until America was brought down. Also, they do not understand what the current batch of �Democrats� are doing. They think that by imposing the �pull out by this date� to every single budget for the military, we will just simply pull out. We cannot do such a thing. The infrastructure will collapse and someone just like, if not worse than, Saddam Hussein will take power. Then we will all be in trouble. Congress just needs to hand the military a signed, blank check.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

::biggrin::My father was in WWII and I was in Viet Nam My son bless him has a birth defect and can't join. I don't believe that the US should be the police force of the world but I do support the troops 100%. Like Viet Nam it's time to let the military do the job or pull them out. There is only one rule in War and that's win. ::suprised::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Here is my question and please know that I'm asking it in all sincerity - I really WANT to understand the answer--

The atrocities committed under Sadaam Hussein are horrible beyond my middle class ability to imagine. But from what I gather, even more horrible is the fact that it's not only part of the world where a despot is responsible for equally evil actrocities.

So my question is - why did we focus on Iraq and not the other places?

Again, I ask this with respect.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Personally, I don't like the war in Iraq and I have doubts about our future. We've killed so many innocent civilians and taken a son or daughter away from a mother. This was Bush's fight. He lied to us too many times, I dont see why we haven't tried to get him out of office for the damage he has done. What happened to finding "weapons of mass destruction"? What happened to "Mission Accomplished"? What happened to finding Osama Bin laden and leaders of Al Queda? He's done nothing he has promised and left America angry.

Might be 100 words, but thats my rant. i could go on...

and Marti.... I'd love to know the awnser to that too.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Children risked their limbs to pick up food aid dropped in fields scattered with cluster bombs.  It was naive to assume that any war could be clean.  If my country was invaded I would fear for my neighbours and family, hearing men shouting orders in foreign tongues as they patrol my streets armed with rifles and propaganda.  Would I, in their eyes, be the enemy when I gather my daily bread?  We have sold them our paranoia in exchange for some oil.