Young Adult Genre : Forum : Premise?

Premise?

10 Years Ago

What is a premise? If someone comes up to you and asks "What is your book about?" You have to answer in a few short sentences. And, those few short sentences have to sum up your book. No pressure. Your premise should reel in the reader so if you say "It's about witches." The reader will probably move on because it doesn't tell much. Your premise should include the protagonist and antagonists character, setting, conflict, genre and tone.  An example: In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. *Divergent* So what's your premise? It could be for a work in progress or an idea you have. If you don't have a work in progress or an idea take a favorite book of yours and write your own premise and post it here. Once you have posted your premise, go back and read others and write your comments because that's the only way we will become good writers, constructive criticism. Good luck!  

Re: Premise?

10 Years Ago

My work in progress is yet to be titled but here is my premise. Please let me know if you would read this book. Thank you!  
Scarlett is a seventeen year old perfectionist who always thought her future was to be a doctor or lawyer. After moving to a small town in the middle of no where she tries to make new friends and keep her father's wish to keep training only to realize that nothing and no one in her world has ever been what it seems. After a revealing truth about her past comes to light she is thrust into a world of secrets and lies and her training is put to the test mentally, physically and emotionally.