Your Thoughts, My Thoughts : Forum : The Poverty Tour

[reply] [quote]

The Poverty Tour - Busted America's Poverty Myth

7 Years Ago

Listen to Brooke Gladstone interviewing Carla Rae Scott (not sure about the spelling) for Who Deserves To Be Poor? segment of On the Media's The Poverty Tour.

Her mother died from a massive heart attack when Carla was twelve. She bounced around from relative to relative till she was emancipated at fifteen and lived on her own. She's got skills. She received training and experience as a licensed practical nurse, medical secretary and bartender. Her downward spiral began when at thirty, she gave birth to a premature baby. A premature baby who requires medical attention. Carla is frustrated that a single mother can not get help. If one is a drug addict or an alcoholic, there is help.

I agree with Carla. She is not looking for the government to fund her life. She wants to work but needs a bit of help. There are welfare recipients who go on to create another generation of welfare recipients. If you are on welfare and you can't get a job then why the heck are you procreating? Why is society obligated to take care of you? People like Carla should get help. People who worked and through unforeseen circumstances get knocked to their knees are looking for a hand up, not a handout.

Back in college, I chatted with a Canadian guy who mentioned how his city handled the homeless or beggars. The city picked them up and took care of them by providing accommodations and work. The roof over one's head may not be luxurious but it was better than sleeping out in the elements. Work was picking up litter from the roads or parks.