Letting Go

Letting Go

A Story by Kristin Brecoe
"

Thinking about submitting it for a scholarship contest.

"

     It doesn't matter what my friend said that made me laugh so effortlessly because only a few minutes later I felt every fragment of my carefree thoughts evanesce. 

     World history had only began two minutes ago, and that bulky, classroom phone rang. When my teacher picked up the phone, I knew that it was my turn to be dismissed from class. She spoke a few, vague words into the phone, and hung up.

     With that, she turned to me, and told me to go to the main foyer, her eyes conveyed nothing. Heartbreak seeped through my body. I have only been sent for early dismissal via phone call once, but that was when I knew in advance about the situation.

     Dread captured my body, and I felt so vulnerable. My eyes immediately searched for the comfort of my friend several rows away. Sympathy washed over his face. 

     My teacher handed me a packet as I swung my backpack over my shoulder, and embarked on my unsettling march. As I slumped past my friend, he whispered, “Everything will be alright,” and for a moment I believed him.

     I hurried through the desolate halls, and found my dad's somber face. We rushed out of the building and into the car. My sisters sat in the back sobbing, and I could take it no more. In my own seat, I crumbled. Written all over my dad was the soon to be reality that his father didn't have much longer.
     About two hours after I was picked up, we boarded a plane with saddened smiles, trying to fight the pain. By then tears were suppressed, and saved for later. We sat red eyed, looking out the airplane window. We sipped soda, ate cheap airplane food, and listened to my MP3 player. For a while it acted as a distraction, but things quickly stopped working. I pulled out the camera I made sure we'd tug along in case of a moment like this. I snapped random photos, treating that 7.2 mega pixel camera as my therapist.

     For the remainder of the flight to Columbus, Ohio, I snapped photos of my sisters regaining their humor, and the endless sea of clouds settled outside our tiny plane windows. I slipped into shutterbug mode, capturing scenes within the clouds. The little shoot caused me to forget the reason we were on the plane. I watched as blankets of clouds turned from white to gray, the sun beamed through clouds, and even a rainbow who found it's place among the star and clouds.
     Before I knew it, my dad, my sisters, and I had arrived at the Columbus airport. All that bliss I absorbed in the sky faded from me. Crisp winter air filled my lungs. An endless dark sky lingered above us. We were getting closer to him, to my grandpa. The four of us tracked down a taxi, and rode to the hospital. The cab driver parked across the street of the building forcing my dad and I to haul several suitcases, backpacks, and safely scoot my sisters across the street, and into the hospital

     We met my grandma upstairs. Quietly, she led us to Grandpa's room. Gingerly we placed our luggage against the wall, and walked up to join my uncles around the bed that cradled my grandpa. His aging body embraced us with his eyes. My sisters and I held his hands as he attempted to speak, probably the second greatest love in his life. Painfully, he could barely get above a whisper. His tries broke me, triggering a waterfall, one I wished not to shed.

 

 

 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

© 2008 Kristin Brecoe


Author's Note

Kristin Brecoe
Let me know everything you think, errors you find, and how the title is...Any suggestions?

Which picture seems more appropriate. Which do you like more? [sorry that bottom picture is so big!]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A endless dark sky lingered...----> AN endless dark sky...
Quietly, she led us to Grandpa's room. Gingerly we place our luggage against the wall...----> The whole thing is in past tense except for the
part starting with "gingerly", and it eventually goes back. The end doesn't particuarly provide closure for the reader, but it's really a
therapeutic story. It's funny the things we find solace in when it can't be offered by anything else. The pictures are lovely, as well as is
this piece. It makes me think of times when my grandpa was no 100%, and I was pretty sure he wouldn't live. Somehow, though, he pulled
through, and I'm very thankful. This piece is the type that could really reach anyone. Most people know what it feels like to lose or think
they're losing a grandparent. It took you a little time, but congrats on finally writing this. Maybe you could expand it. The name isn't
fantastic, but it's good for now. :) I promise, you'll think of something. GREAT piece.
KH

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"Written all over my dad was the soon to be reality that his father didn't have much longer."

This sentence struck me hard. I know how you feel. 2 months ago, I received a call from my father, and I found out my grandpa had died. I cried, it was hard, but I made it. I am sorry for your lost. I hope your family does better, I hope your family stays strong, and I hope you stay strong.

Posted 15 Years Ago


you need a period after hospital in the second to last paragraph. i really enjoyed it. it helped me a little bit. my grandpa just passed away the other day. thanks a lot. im sorry for your loss....

Posted 15 Years Ago


I freaking love it....its so awesome. Beautiful piece of writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A endless dark sky lingered...----> AN endless dark sky...
Quietly, she led us to Grandpa's room. Gingerly we place our luggage against the wall...----> The whole thing is in past tense except for the
part starting with "gingerly", and it eventually goes back. The end doesn't particuarly provide closure for the reader, but it's really a
therapeutic story. It's funny the things we find solace in when it can't be offered by anything else. The pictures are lovely, as well as is
this piece. It makes me think of times when my grandpa was no 100%, and I was pretty sure he wouldn't live. Somehow, though, he pulled
through, and I'm very thankful. This piece is the type that could really reach anyone. Most people know what it feels like to lose or think
they're losing a grandparent. It took you a little time, but congrats on finally writing this. Maybe you could expand it. The name isn't
fantastic, but it's good for now. :) I promise, you'll think of something. GREAT piece.
KH

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think the entire piece, as well as the picture (even if it is so big hehe) is definitely appropriate. It must've been a very hard and very sad time for you guys, and im so very sorry :( When my Gram past away, we were in shock cause she was so young (73), and just so strong...we just couldn't believe it. But what she had just consumed everything. There was a huge hole in the family when she passed away, and it still is. I really liked this piece. Unfortunately, we all have to face this day ourselves someday. I know it's gonna suck, but it's a call to be with God i guess. But im sure when we go, the flight and the desination where we're going will be so amazing hehe. Wonderful write. *Hugs* :)

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2008
Last Updated on August 2, 2008

Author

Kristin Brecoe
Kristin Brecoe

teach me how to love, but not the way most dream of.



About
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPz9lL0y8sE&feature=related AMAZING. You need to check him out. A Favorite Poem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1qxrM1XY0&feature=related -------------------------.. more..

Writing
d. d.

A Poem by Kristin Brecoe