The begining of the end

The begining of the end

A Chapter by Nicola
"

The first chapter of 'elements'

"

Chapter one

The beginning of the end

 

Excited. Happy. Nervous. These are all emotions people tell me I should be feeling. I walked past a group of girls, giggling and chatting excitedly in hushed voices. There was a boy with sweat dribbling down his face, and another trying to play it cool even though you could tell he was scared. I understand how they are all feeling, my first time I was scared. You feel honoured to enter the great hall, to sit in the seat reserved for you, you feel part of a group. But after I hit 10 it lost its excitement, after 20 I didn’t feel nervous and once I hit 50 it felt like a chore. Now I sit in my cold, uncomfortable seat with screaming kids all around me waiting to see my name, who knows maybe this is the year.

OK, let me backtrack a bit, you’ve probably wondering who I am, what im doing, why everyone else is so excited but nervous. First of my name is Sophia, or Agent S (most people think the S stands for Sky), I am about to enter the Great Hall of our city to be sorted into my team (Not a house like in harry potter but my team). You see most people join their team, make friends with their teammates and never return to this hall, but if you or your parent aren’t happy with your team then you can request to return the next year to be sorted into a new team. That’s me, and no I’m not the picky one my dad is. He is a big believer in set destinies and, unfortunately for me, there is a big prophecy that four girls with the four elements (You know water, air, fire and earth) will defeat evil once and for all. I control air, so my dad believes I am part of the prophecy and keeps making me choose a new team until I get put with the other three elements.

If you are confused as to what I’m talking about then let me try to explain, this is the upper world, located above your human earth, everyone here controls a certain thing on earth, kind of like gods but we prefer to be called the controllers. Some people are lucky and have big, powerful powers, like me, but some people get stuck with small, disgusting or unpleasant powers, such as the power of toilets or the power of ants, and some people decide to create their own power and try to make it a big thing, we call these phases of earth. They explain a lot of things, such as mullets and fidget spinners, these people tend to end up going crazy and their power gets stripped of them so the phase dies on earth. Everything that happens on earth was decided by the controller of that thing, I decide if there will be a tornado or just a cold breeze, however we don’t just control things on earth we also can take our powers and fight with them, like superheroes. For example I can blast air out of my hand and control the breeze, if you controlled ants you could force green ants to bite your opponent.

Anyway back to my story, the great hall was lined with chatting children eagerly waiting to meet there team. I lied low at the back waiting for it all to be over. Suddenly bright shining lights darted on which silenced everyone, smoke machines squinted out smoke with all their might until it looked like a sea of mist. From the gloom I made out a small man, dressed in a lion fur coat with a ginormous top hat on his head. I had to give it to him, this was his biggest entrance yet. Torrance, head of council, hopped onto the stage and with an excited glance around the room, he shouted “Hello pupils!” I didn’t look at him but I could feel his friendly gaze turn into a cold hearted one as he spotted me. He hated me, well mainly my father, as he didn’t believe in the prophecy one bit and wanted no one else to either. If he chose the teams I would never be put with the other 3 elements but luckily it was random.

I took the plunge and looked up but he had already pushed the shiny red button to start randomising the first team, I sneakily pulled out my tablet as the first names were pulled. Mandy Lunch, Katy Farrow, Luke Edge and Jake Jokily. As fast as lightning I typed in each of their names before they disappeared from the screen, but none of them were fire, water or earth. This may seem good but it was only the first four names so I still had a long way to go. I sat there for hours typing in name after name and still none were any of the 3 elements, finally my name got called. Sophia Squiggle, Hazel Flower, Aqua Galton and Amanda Helton. Aqua? That sounded watery. I searched up her name and it was water, next was hazel and she was Earth. My heart started beating fast. I searched for Amanda but before I could I heard a teacher gasp near me, then another and then another.  When I pressed enter I found out why. This was the year, I had found the 3 elements!

I stood up to go find my team but just as I was about to Torrance screamed “Stop!”

 “There appears to be an error in our system as there is an odd number of pupils this year, so this team will have an extra member.” He started searching hastily though his student book for someone who hadn’t already been assigned a team, he really hated that prophecy. “Here we are” He said bitterly “Is there a Lucy Griggs?” Nervously a girl with bright blonde hair raised her hand before standing up. “You will be added to this team immediately” declared Torrance. I typed in Lucy Griggs and discovered that she controlled humans, now that is a pretty big power. I was so close this year, but might as well start packing my bags.

 

 



© 2017 Nicola


Author's Note

Nicola
Can I have some feedback. Only a draft so It will be edited

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on June 7, 2017
Last Updated on June 7, 2017
Tags: magic, elements, air, fire, earth, water, people, teen, teens, adventure


Author

Nicola
Nicola

Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom



About
I'm a student at secondary school who loves reading and literacy. I love mystery and adventure books but not a fan of romance. I like when authors hide Easter eggs and clues as to what will come in th.. more..

Writing
Elements Elements

A Book by Nicola