Kids

Kids

A Story by Maria Linden
"

Controversial but I have to rant. Kk enjoy/hate.

"
Look, I'm going to use my superb writing skills to rant about something that's been gnawing like a World War One trench rat. Enjoy, my feminist pals.
Ok, kids. I'm personally in a s**t-ton of honors courses, and lately I've been getting these kinds of statements from a multitude of people who should really know better:
"Well, you know, it's different when it's your own kid."
"But you get to CREATE LIFE. Isn't that splendid?"
"God made women to be able to have babies for a reason!"
"Well, in my culture, women start families really early, like 19."
"I really want a guy in my life who will want a family."
I'm so f*****g tired of this, guys. A 16- year-old can say she wants three kids and describe her dream husband perfectly but I say 'I don't want to have children' and every male, religiously involved person, and adult looks at me either incredulously or condescendingly.
I have taken it upon myself to write a list of reasons why it's ok to not have kids, for us women who are persecuted for not taking the medieval route and not wanting an heir and ten spares.
1. Your body. Wrinkles, fat, your THIGHS, cellulite, stretch marks, a completely loosened vagina, saggy breasts and weird n*****s. Yeah, that alone does it for me. I'm hot, I'd like to keep it that way. Not to say that everyone who has kids is hideous or anything, it's just not worth it to me.
2. Your life. Kids equals no travel, no job- because society still has some weird stigma against working moms and is apparently convinced that once a woman has had a baby, her new career involves cleaning, cooking, finding ways to accentuate her waist, and looking pretty for her husband. It also means no social life, at the risk of being called a terrible person for wanting to actually get AWAY from the kids for awhile.
3. Your significant other. I refuse to write husband, as THIS IS THE TWENTY FIRST F*****G CENTURY and f*****g does no longer equal marriage. Anyway, they are now forced into an eighteen year minimum contract where their entire life revolves around this KID that in all likelihood that they might not have wanted (just a hint, most 26 year old guys are not desperate to have babies. They still like hookers. Don't be too disappointed.), saps their social life, is dependent on them and most of all makes you as a sexual being utterly useless. Note that I said sexual being and not woman as I would be a huge hypocrite; after a woman has kids, many men lose their attraction and that's not enjoyable for either party.
4. Your career. As previously stated, most jobs are horrendous at conveniencing mom of any age. Most women are forced to choose. This is NOT FAIR- I certainly never ever want to be relegated to 'well, you have kids and I don't wanna give you time off. F**k it, you're done'.
And then you have to slap men around to get them cool with being a mr mom, because, excuse me, you have a vagina now get back in the kitchen, w***e. F**k you for opening Pandora's box and eating the apple.

Ok, that was my rant. I have to say that I am incredibly grateful to my mom for sacrificing all that for me, and not resenting me later. I'm not hating on people with kids; but this is an accurate if somewhat worst-case depiction, no? Yeah I asked my grandma haha I got a serious earful.

PS- I am an atheistic feministic liberal and will obviously not share the same opinions with everyone. I would LOVE reviews on whether you agree or not- but if you put 'BUT IT'S SO JOYFUL' out there, imma disagree heartily.. So is having sex without worrying about your body, and not having to clean up snot/excrement/urine/vomit. Just saying.

© 2013 Maria Linden


Author's Note

Maria Linden
Yeah, I wanna hear this:') oh controversy. I realize that I was totally harsh about everyone haha, but seriously ladies stop pressuring men to get married at 22 and START HAVING KIDS AT THIRTY SO OUR POPULATION DOESN'T GO DUGGAR THANK YOU. 25 is too young, speaking from the point of view of a kid whose parents werent even teenagers- they were 23- and we were so poor I lived on pirogues and frozen fish sticks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I dont know who these people are that say and look at you this way, but kids arent for everyone.
I fear the day that I have kids because I am still too selfish to take care of others.
At the end of reading this rant it feels like you care a lot about what others think of you.
I am a conservative Christian and I wont get all religious at you but I am glad you found what you want (or rather dont want) in life and hope you wont be bothered by what other people think of you.
Also love the shout out to your mom and its cool that you are appreciative of her!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Maria Linden

10 Years Ago

So this took me three weeks haha, but- thanks:) it's not so much I care about what people think of m.. read more
I'm a liberal democrat, but extremely Christian. Not 'but'- AND. I agree with you, that people are disgustingly critical. This is very passionate, and I think many people will relate. Well ranted (:

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2013
Last Updated on May 1, 2013

Author

Maria Linden
Maria Linden

Los Angeles, CA



About
Hmmmm. Night-owled high school student. What else is new? I write a ton so the genre box is a tad restrictive BUT horror and poetry are my two lunch buddies. I write, drink too much coffee, and a.. more..

Writing