Free?

Free?

A Poem by 1blaquote
"

My Shoes...

"

Often have heard the saying,

"The Black Woman Has Always Been Free!"

This is a statement in which I simply can not agree...

 

 

In slavery,

force to bore "Masa's baby",

after being raped savagely

and ripped from her own children completely.

 

 

Spit on trying to get a quality education.

Taunted and beaten trying to obtain voter's registration.

State aided compensation,

in exchange for sterlization.

Brown paper bag discrimination.

European hairstyle limitation.

Good ole' boys exploitation,

Promotion for sexual stimulation.

 

 

Tell me what constitutes,

black women being valued less than prostitutes?

 

 

Throughout history,

this has been the mentality of a conditioned society.

A defamation conspiracy.

A falsified reality.

A character fatality.

An unjust penalty;

Now you tell me,

is this free?

© 2008 1blaquote


Author's Note

1blaquote
Thank You...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

State aided compensation,
in exchange for sterlization.

I whole heartedly agree with this. Fact being a few years ago & even know I think when you go apply for welfare they offer you birthcontrol. Now help me understand, you came for financial help not sterilization. even in this day & age the poem is still very real.

Love this poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"A defamation conspiracy.
A falsified reality.
A character fatality.
An unjust penalty;
Now you tell me,
is this free?"

no it aint free................. loved this read... :) nice work out there... thanks for sharing this....

Regards,
Poetic Soul

Posted 15 Years Ago


Women have for so long had a negative role in society. They went from goddesses and priestesses to house hold slaves. Not deserving of the human status of man. This country to be founded on such great ideas started out a*s backwards with its idea of freedom limited to a select few. Now it seems we have walked forward as a nation, but we have just been walking up the down escalator. Constantly moving forward but always in the same position. I believe every human is created equal. But it seems to me that this idea of equality is not enough for most of societys ill treated. I believe many are so used to being in the rutt that they want now to be on top of the mountain above the rest instead of the same plane. The fight for equality has two enimies. Those who believe that they are not worthy and those who believe they are worthy of more. Anyways this was a great write. Though i wouldn't expect much less from you. You are seemingly full of great works. Keep it up.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are right... and it is a powerful poem...
but, in some strange way, we have to get our own freedom... in a way freedom is linked with education - not a school education, that didn't help much trough times... by education i mean "self-respect"... see, most women, even if they are leaders, they enslave themselves to men or to fashion or... and then they kind of blame it on others, society, what ever... As a free human being, most of the time, dealing with other women, i feel they love to play the "paper of the victim", victim of men, victim of society, victim of the family... I suppose there is much to be looked at when talking about this topic, and many bad and wrong values are hiding behind the so called "political correct"... Women, whatever color, should, before anything else see themselves as human beings...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Talk to me 1blaquote


"Brown paper bag discrimination.
European hairstyle limitation.
Good ole' boys exploitation,
Promotion for sexual stimulation. "


You describe this clearly ....its sad but its so true.. Even the systems that are supposed to be there to help are hostile ..... Great piece!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

women are not treated fairly period. this is a great poem. we work as hard as if not harder to be equal and we are constantly pushed down. this is not an equal society and until we stop flapping our jaws to our children about the what was and teach them instead about what can be... it's never going to change. generations begat generations. i like your colloquilism use in the second stanza. makes for a stronger statement. you nailed it all... i like this poem.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I totally agree. There's nothing real about this so called freedom.

Posted 16 Years Ago


"A falsified reality...an unjust penalty."
Damn..you just drew the shade on black female life..
Very poignant yet something I will think about the rest of the day...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

State aided compensation,
in exchange for sterlization.

I whole heartedly agree with this. Fact being a few years ago & even know I think when you go apply for welfare they offer you birthcontrol. Now help me understand, you came for financial help not sterilization. even in this day & age the poem is still very real.

Love this poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Damn, I winced as I read this. I also laughed when you wrote,

"In slavery,
force to bore Masa's baby,"

...this was funny the way you wrote it. I understand the seriousness of the subject, but that line is just...anyway, the work is very conscious of black femininity. The woes you speak of are not exclusive to the black women. I think the work speaks to the entire spectrum of the female gender.
Let go of them chains woman and exhale! Don't wait! Breath in, breathe out. =)

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very strong poem with a nice flow, it speaks to me although I'm not black, and I'm adding it to my library. ^^

-Rosana G.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2008

Author

1blaquote
1blaquote

Detroit, MI



About
I am a self-published author of "Speak It Loud," a collection of 22 poems filled with food for thought. I am a self proclaimed activist in my community. I am a parent of 3 beautiful children. I beca.. more..

Writing
Intimacy Intimacy

A Poem by 1blaquote



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..