Superstitious Orthodoxy

Superstitious Orthodoxy

A Story by Loretta Edwards

Superstitious Orthodoxy

          You probably don’t think that you are the least bit superstitious. Yet, I’ll bet that you knock on wood, throw salt over your shoulder, carry a good luck charm, or some other bit of nonsense. Of course you do it in fun, you don’t believe in it. But, if you didn’t wonder about it, would you even bother to go through the motions? Superstition isn’t buried that deeply. Just a short 100 years ago Americans put a hanky over their mouth when they sneezed or coughed, and not to be polite. They didn’t want evil spirits to jump in and take over their mind and body.

          I had a superstitious grandma. She observed all the taboos. The blinds were drawn and no one left the house on Friday the 13th. To walk under a ladder was to guarantee an injury. “Laugh today and you’ll cry tomorrow” was quoted often. My other grandma was very religious. Her only superstition was the devil. She was afraid he would force her to do something wrong and anger God. She said, “God rules the heavens, the devil rules the earth,” and she believed it.

          I didn’t understand how easily superstition takes over. I finally realized that I couldn’t enjoy my good, which was considerable, because I was waiting for the other shoe to drop or for Satan to snatch it away from me.

          We are what we believe. What is a belief? A thought that we have accepted as true, either because many others have accepted this belief, so it must be right. Or we have investigated, studied, searched and examined the facts before we accepted as True anything the Orthodox Church asks for us to believe. Religion has a lot of rituals based on superstition and misconception. Remember, Jesus didn’t start a church, men did. Jesus only taught for 3 short years. He didn’t go on TV so everyone could hear. He didn’t leave a written message to refer to. Men went from “An eye for an eye” to “Love your neighbor as yourself.” They naturally made some glaring mistakes. No doubt we are still misinformed today.

          Parents used to think that “Spare the rod and spoil the child,” meant to take the child to the woodshed often. Eventually sound reasoning suggested, the rod and staff are the shepherd’s tools. One thing we know for sure is no shepherd ever beat his sheep. Maybe it means to use compassion and reason in place of force?     

          Jesus was baptized by complete emergence in the water. Therefore many feel the need to keep that ritual. Others read, “He shall baptize with the Holy Spirit,” and feel no need for the outward show and are satisfied with a sprinkle of water, and some merely with a rose. Each one is sincere in their belief and should not look down their nose at the other two for what they believe. God knows what is in the heart.

          I am not suggesting that you give up church because of unnecessary rituals. You need the company of good people who believe. I am asking you to reconsider your favorite beliefs. The Jewish people were faced with a complete reversal of everything they were taught and deeply believed.

          The Jewish people were courageous. They had been taught a very strict religion and the promised messiah which would lead them to riches, fame and great glory. This man, Jesus, who claimed to be the “Son of God” offered them nothing but His message. Yet, they dared to alienate their family and face death to keep this new and different message alive. They met in secret and fear to teach a message they barely understood. Do you wonder that there were misconceptions? Some that have carried over into our modern religion. But, could you have sacrificed as much?

          One superstition or misunderstanding is Jesus’ death. The Jews were used to sacrifice of doves and lambs, to a fierce and punishing God. A form of worship adopted from the idol worshipers around them. It was a short step to come to the conclusion that Jesus was the “Lamb of God,” sent by God for the blood sacrifice to a demanding God. That without this blood God could not forgive the sins of Adam and Eve and all the sins that followed. A theme repeated in many churches today.

          It is my opinion and belief, and don’t agree if this doesn’t strike a chord of Truth in your heart. I believe Adam, Eve and Satan in Eden never happened.

          First-God had already created His Spiritual children in His Spiritual image and likeness. Why would He recreate with dirt and ribs?

          Second-God created good; Satan was a liar and not good, therefore Satan does not exist. Satan is nothing more than a hallucination, imagination, illusion and superstition. A fear perpetrated by a race consciousness.

          Third- No judge would punish a child for grandpa’s criminal acts. Yet, we accuse God of holding the whole human race accountable for Adam and Eve’s sins. Is that fair or reasonable?

          I believe God sent Jesus for one purpose: to introduce the world to a Loving Father and teach us how to live happy, healthy, wise and profitable lives; the plan God has for our life. It was men who put Jesus to death, thinking they were doing God’s will.

          I think that there is a lot of superstition in the Orthodox Church. We can uncover it by trusting ourselves. Jesus said, “The Kingdom of God is within you.” Don’t accept what anyone else says is true just because it comes from the pulpit. The Truth will stand up to scrutiny. Study and think and let your conscience be your guide.

          Truth is simple. Truth to be Truth must be absolute. We must realize that we don’t need to look outside ourselves for answers to our questions. God is our Life and God wants to give us what we need for health and happiness: not after we die, but today. Let God be God and be happy.

          1009 words                                 Loretta Ellen Edwards

© 2017 Loretta Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on August 17, 2017
Last Updated on August 17, 2017

Author

Loretta Edwards
Loretta Edwards

OH



About
These stories are my opinion only, please feel free to leave a comment regarding what you think about them. If you would like, feel free to also print these stories out and share them with family and .. more..

Writing