Just Like Them

Just Like Them

A Story by Loretta Edwards

Just Like Them

            Everyone hates Judas. With reason. He betrayed Jesus’ trust for thirty pieces of silver. We would never consider selling Jesus for money. Not for money, but we use other means that hurt Him even more. Think about it from Judas’ point of view.

            Judas held the money for this small group of men. They depended on donations for lodging, food, clothes, and the everyday living expenses. The people who understood the message were poor and had nothing to give. The group were invited, as honored guests, to feasts and offered shelter in the homes of prominent men quite often-but not every night-and you get hungry seven days in every week. Therefore, Judas more than the others, was overly conscious of their lack of funds. He was conscientious about his job and very scrupulous about how the little they had was spent. That is the reason that he was outspoken when the expensive perfume was, in his mind wasted, when the woman washed Jesus’ dirty feet. The perfume could have been sold and the money used more wisely.  

            The man who approached Judas said the priests wanted quality time to learn from Jesus. If they liked what they heard they were ready to back the ministry with both money and praise. At first he wasn’t convinced. The priests were not friendly to their cause. But, when he heard “thirty pieces of silver,” he couldn’t resist. What was the harm? If it didn’t go well Jesus could just leave, like He has done many times. Judas’ love of money blinded him to the danger. How much will you overlook and how far will you go to make a few extra dollars?

            We all understand the prodigal’s return home. Why starve when you can feast? Do you see the sin of the brother? He was a good Christian, working diligently in the fields, converting souls for the Father. He should have been thrilled when his brother, a sinner, was converted. Could it be that he was a Christian in name only? That he was self-righteous? That he looked down his nose at the people that he served? That he felt superior to them and although he liked to think he helped save them, he also felt they needed to be punished for what they had done? Perhaps he felt resentful that the prodigal, after doing all these nasty, degrading, despicable things, was welcomed back and given a place of honor in our Father’s house? Maybe he thought, “While I, who has led an honorable, respectful Christian life is ignored”?  Had he been a true Christian he would have been close to the Father and every day would have been a celebration of Life. The prodigal came home knowing the world has nothing to offer and he will never leave. The brother did what was expected of him as a good Christian (?) and basked in the praise of his peers, but he wasn’t happy, he didn’t Know his Father. He was content to live a simple life of false values. Which brother are you?

            There is the 23rd psalm. “Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.” I don’t think our enemies are Tom, Dick and Harry or Mary, Jane and Sue, not people at all. Our enemies are sickness, sin, death, and all the evils in between. Can you trust God to keep us safe and secure in the face of all dangers? It is easier when you realize that any and all evil, in whatever form, is illusion and has no power to harm you. Why? Simple! God created only good! 

            Jesus told Peter to follow him. Peter started to follow, when he saw John. “Lord, what shall this man do?” Jesus answered, “What do you care? This is between me and John. You have all you can do to take care of yourself.” (My own words. Read John 21:19-23) Do you stick your nose into other people’s business? Of course you are worried about their soul. So is his Father. Let God handle it. Everyone has to pay for their own sins.

            Don’t worry. The time will come for each one of us when we will realize how limited and foolish our thinking has been. We will wake up in the loving arms of our Father. Then we can say, and understand with Jesus, that I and the Father are one.

            741 words             Loretta Ellen Edwards

© 2017 Loretta Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on September 24, 2017
Last Updated on September 24, 2017

Author

Loretta Edwards
Loretta Edwards

OH



About
These stories are my opinion only, please feel free to leave a comment regarding what you think about them. If you would like, feel free to also print these stories out and share them with family and .. more..

Writing