Think Well of It

Think Well of It

A Poem by 5hade5layer
"

What would your winter be without the holiday cheer?

"

When the snow falls, and the chorus of those holiday carols sound, does it bring a smile about your face? Does it bring joy to your heart and do you think how good a time it is to be alive?

You might walk through an illuminated mall, and marvel at the bright, sparkling lights, grin at the ornate decorations--especially that enormous tree that reaches two floors up with ornaments as large as your head. You may meet with your friends and sip some warm drink all the while bundled in blankets and scarfs and sweaters, and think nothing of it.

Perhaps you will exchange gifts and cards and well wishes, and think nothing of it.

Just another holiday.

But stop one moment to consider what your Christmas, your New Year, your Chanukah would be without it.

Without the hot sips, the sweaters, the malls and glory of it all. Without the songs and merry cheer of other surrounding you in positivity.

Then what will that make winter for you?

No carols, no joy, no merriment.

Just the cold, bleak silence of the biting cold to greet you on the way back from scavenging for something to keep your bones warm. Just the howling, cackling wind to welcome you to your lifeless home deprived of cheers years ago, and only the musky scent of dust.

No cinnamon, no cider, no spice.

And you would think much of it.

You will mull over how bleak your holidays are.

You will sulk over how empty your Christmas, your New Year, your Chanukah is.

But lucky for you, this is not reality.

So think well of it; this is reality for many. More than I doubt you can imagine. So every time you see a sparkle of the winter spirit, a flash of a joyous grin, never take it without a thought. Because you are lucky, very lucky that that musky house is not your place of greeting. That you have family and friends and love to embrace you.

© 2016 5hade5layer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well said my frnd... We often lose our way by taking things for granted, but that is the best way to not enjoy the real beauty of life... Most people do not even think of the precious things they have in their life, and when those things walk away from them only then they realize what they had... Excellent write my frnd...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


5hade5layer

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughts, Dhiman! I was rather worried it would come off as a bit preachy, so I'm.. read more
Wow, this is very thought provoking! Many of us celebrate the holidays and take it for granted, sometimes even wishing we had something else or even more than what we already have! This work just made me realize that I should appreciate what I have and not take it for granted! Really good job on this one, 5hade5layer! I truly enjoyed it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


5hade5layer

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Also, I'm so glad you reviewed. It definitely helps a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2016
Last Updated on November 27, 2016

Author

5hade5layer
5hade5layer

CA



About
I am a 14 year old sophomore currently homeschooled, but I had attended OCSA for Creative Writing in my freshman year. I enjoy writing and reading as they are a way to relieve stress :). I am also a h.. more..

Writing
My Worth My Worth

A Poem by 5hade5layer


Flashback Flashback

A Story by 5hade5layer