The Girl at the Bottom of the Lake

The Girl at the Bottom of the Lake

A Story by 5hade5layer
"

Do you know her, too?

"

I know a girl, the likes of an abandoned sea shell.

Beautiful, glowing, perfect. On the outside.

Empty, abandoned, dead. On the inside.

She sits in the middle of the sea of the people around her, poised and glowing. But I can’t see her anymore. I can’t see the spark, the blinding glare of her spirit. What I can see, though, is her piercing stare. Her cheeks are pink, teeth spotless, lips red like strawberries.

But her eyes?

Nothing. They are cold, the aftermath of a snuffed flame. They call to me, reeling me in, begging to give her fire before she explodes into her end, her supernova. I stare back at her, wanting to cry for her, because her tears are spent. Wanting to ache and scream because her screams are spent and her pains have rendered her numb.

I cannot move, so I close my eyes, shutting those frightening eyes out. I close my eyes, to save myself from the black hole she’s created.

And when I open them, she’s gone.

Then I feel my throat clench up.

Like a fish drowning.

Like suffocating under an oxygen mask.

It’s odd, because I know that if I tried, if I got medical help, I could.

My hands claw at my strained neck, as I breathe out to suck in air, only to find that my throat is completely closed up. Now my entire body heaves, begging for air.

But still yet, oxygen is a luxury I can’t afford.

Then the floor gives, sending me plummeting down a dark chute into nothingness. I grasp at my head, trying to escape the walls that send me slipping and sliding deeper and deeper into my darkest thoughts.

I shut my eyes, too, but it only makes it worse.

I start to see things I kept buried in the farthest corners of my mind.

Madness in the eyes of the girl in the mirror.

The shivering pen in my fist that refuses to write.

The silent screams in the bathroom stalls.

“Then just die. It’s your life.” The worst pain, I think.

The girl from earlier, who’d stared at me from the bottom of the lake. The one with my cheeks, my smile, my lips.

The one with my eyes.

The one only I can see.

Come on! We’ll be late!Then just die, it’s your life.  She says.

i’ll be there” I call back.

The girl in the lake. Broken. Torn. Empty. Five, four, three, two, one.

And just like that, I am perfect.




Maybe I will just vanish, since it is my choice to make.

© 2017 5hade5layer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This piece feels like someone spieling the confusion & contrasts surrounding a friend who seems to be losing her grip on life. I love your vivid imagery & uninhibited observations thru-out, but also I feel a bit torn over the "mixed metaphors" (lake, seashore, space . . . where are we?) Even tho I am drawn to poems where a long-drawn-out metaphor is crafted, all in the same vein, I can also appreciated your mixed metaphors becuz of the chaos this imparts, which is suitable for the situation you're explaining. All in all, my favorite metaphor is the seashell, as described in the first 3 lines. I'd love to see such a message that stays with the "sea" motif . . .

Posted 6 Years Ago


It starts off great, but I found the ending confusing, the last ten lines or so. Maybe I will what since what is mine?
A couple of typos - 'the walls that send me' and ''the girl in the mirror'.

Posted 7 Years Ago


The Iron Horseman

7 Years Ago

Glad to. Just did. In your final line I think I would make it 'since it is my decision to make.'
read more
5hade5layer

7 Years Ago

Awesome, thanks!
The Iron Horseman

7 Years Ago

You're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2017
Last Updated on April 11, 2017

Author

5hade5layer
5hade5layer

CA



About
I am a 14 year old sophomore currently homeschooled, but I had attended OCSA for Creative Writing in my freshman year. I enjoy writing and reading as they are a way to relieve stress :). I am also a h.. more..

Writing
My Worth My Worth

A Poem by 5hade5layer


Flashback Flashback

A Story by 5hade5layer



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Road The Road

A Poem by Paul Bell