Behind the Mask

Behind the Mask

A Story by Kasey Miriam

That once little girl still hides behind her mask. Her everchanging hazel eyes reveal no true emotion. That wave of ginger hair hides her real face. Her bright white teeth shine and sparkle like her eyes which people love so much, but they hold no value.
 She used to weep at night and make up nightmares she didn't have so that her momma wouldn't worry. Somedays she did not know what was wrong; her life was good and all was well but she still weeped every night. Prehaps it was because her papa worked all night and she feared he wouldn't come home. 
In middle school for the first year she weeped even more. She never said what was wrong and really never knew. There were days however she knew exactly what was wrong. Her friends would come to school with bruises and cuts. She was only twelve and didnt understand why parents would hurt their children or why people would cut themself. Her closest friend came to school sad and showed her a large cut on her stomach that was made the night before with one blade of a pair of scissors.  She did not know what to do, so she bottled up all she could til she broke at school. Her break down made life worse now something was wrong with her. She got better as she began to understand. She became more helpful.
 As she began to shut herself away high school did not make her flinch. To her the people that tried to bother her didnt exist. She put on blinders and paid little attention to those who weren't close. No one could touch her. Until the day her walls came down again. That day March 15th her freshman year her wort nightmare came true. A dear friend's father was shot early inthe morning while on duty and did not live long enough to see the hospital. She was a wreck and the other kids said she had no right. for she "had no reason to cry, she had no ties to him" She was able to come back full swing within the month. She remained unfazed for a long while. 
 As high school was drawing toward an end, she lost a friend and again did not understand. Her friend's hopes and dreams hung from that same rope she used.  Her grandfather fell ill and her wall crumbled more. Then that day she saw the words on her screen "I could have loved you, but this is my last goodbye" she quickly called him and tried to calm him down and at a moment she weeped "but I do love you". He hung up and she paniced and called his other friend. Together they saved him and soon his ex was back. He took his ex back with wide open arms. 
She was broken and alone there was no one to save her. She thought about it, but picked herself up and grew cold as stone. She isn't really stone though, she still laughs and cries. She knows and has all those feelings that everyone else does. She will never show anything but a bright smiling face.
 Behind that mask is the once little girl whom has a bedroom full of tears. You can still hear her weep if you listen closely, but she still can't tell you why.
Kasey Miriam 2015

© 2015 Kasey Miriam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Trauma and grief make us stone; but under the hardest, most polished marble of a mask our hearts still weep in secret.

A few typos i noticed:

'Then that dad she saw the world on her screen'
'at a mooment she weeped "but I do love you". He hung up and she paniced'

just thought i'd point those out :) its easy to miss them when you;re writing a rant

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing those out. I truly think there is not one person who does not wear a mask eve.. read more
My-two-lives

10 Years Ago

Very true; I also think that not one person out there lives without a 'mask' that they show to the e.. read more



Reviews

Messages got messed up. You won first in the 1000 words or less contest. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Your narrative is perfectly haunting where questions lie like empty spider webs. These words will stay with me:

Behind that mask is the once little girl whom has a bedroom full of tears. You can still hear her weep if you listen closely, but she still can't tell you why.



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. Alway kind of you to stop by
You my friend are such a deep and talented writer, made me lost in this tale of little girl. Poignant tale felt every word you wrote simply just amazing. Good work my friend

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

thak you very much Amos
"Her everchanging hazel eyes reveal no true Emoition." Here what does "Emoition" mean? May be it's "Emotion" so, you should replace the word "EMOITION" with "EMOTION" but am still not sure, may you shed some light on it? lol

A character you've portrayed which's describing the value of people and of course time because time never awaits for anybody so doesn't the life... but when the heart got something new with which the people feel happy always makes the life beautiful living. The pain, love, joy, happiness and ache and emotions always come from love and this story's all the mixture of all these components where the pain and love walking hand in hand.

Keep Writing, am glad to know that you write so much stuffs, you write stories, novels, Haiku's and now poems too that's great. Me too write stories, novels, poems, songs, blogs, plays and direct characters from fantasy and reality making stuffs cool. I hope to read your songs some day :)

All the best, Kasey! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing out that typo I will fix it soon. I used that bit because this is a very pers.. read more
This s ironic because Eli, who is on this website as well, but yours so far is better but his is only 6-7 lines. Good one better than the last one, which was also good!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you. Personally cant stand any of my own work so really thank you.
A sad and powerful story. Kids learn a lot and sometimes keep the knowledge and safely away. The story told a tale of someone who felt the pain of other and couldn't understand. I like the way you closed out the story.
"Behind that mask is the once little girl whom has a bedroom full of tears. You can still hear her weep if you listen close, but she still can't tell you why."
Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I learned a lot last year and it hurt for months. That story was sitting .. read more
Coyote Poetry

10 Years Ago

You did very well. A intense and sad story.
A very good piece of writing, it was very interesting to read, well done. A relatable and emotional piece, where the words seem real, and give the reader a sense of total understanding, as everyone will probably have lived behind a mask at some point. Very good use of imagery, even if there are a few typos. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future. Loved it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you. That means a lot to me
My-two-lives

10 Years Ago

You're welcome. I'm just glad you made through.
Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

And all is so much better now. Just thought it was time to type it all out.
Trauma and grief make us stone; but under the hardest, most polished marble of a mask our hearts still weep in secret.

A few typos i noticed:

'Then that dad she saw the world on her screen'
'at a mooment she weeped "but I do love you". He hung up and she paniced'

just thought i'd point those out :) its easy to miss them when you;re writing a rant

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kasey Miriam

10 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing those out. I truly think there is not one person who does not wear a mask eve.. read more
My-two-lives

10 Years Ago

Very true; I also think that not one person out there lives without a 'mask' that they show to the e.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

509 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 31, 2015

Author

Kasey Miriam
Kasey Miriam

OH



About
Curently a 28 year old wife and mother. My life revoles around my family and our children are the biggest blessing in life. I love to write Haiku and free verse poetry. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


So Far Away So Far Away

A Poem by MsJewel