Oblivion

Oblivion

A Story by AnayaJ.
"

Everything was drenched in an aching darkness.

"
Everything was drenched in an aching darkness. From the edge of the ceiling to the corner of the floor, it seemed as if everything had been covered with a black sheath, hidden from his tearful orbs. He stepped forward and cringed as the floor creaked. Dread and fright took over him when he realized he had fallen into the hole of oblivion and tears began streaming down his face. As he forced his numb legs to carry him forward, his eyes squinted when a ray of light shone towards him. He tried to recognize the source, but he couldn't see anything. It was dark, and even the dazzling light had failed to illuminate the room that was drowned in darkness. He moved forward, eager to find a window or a slightly ajar door through which the light had crept in.

Pain shot through his ankle as the little boy bumped his foot into something. He bent down to feel the obstacle, but a flat and cold surface came into contact with his palm. Sighing, he stood up again. His fear had touched the summit of cowardice, causing him to cry out in pain. It wasn't physical, but it was torturous all the same.

"Mum!" he cried out, "Help! Is anyone here? Please, help me!"

When no one responded to his voice, he crouched down and sat on the floor. Hugging his knees to his chest, he buried his face into them and let the sobs shake his petite frame. Forcing his sniffles to subside, he stood up and shouted again as a spark of hope ignited his heart.

"Mum! Dad! Where are you? Where am I? Please, help me! Take me away from here! You know I am scared of the dark, please get me away from here! Help me!"

His pleas were responded by reverberations. A shiver ran down his spine and his lips began quivering ferociously when he heard two voices trying to defeat each other. He recognized the owners of the two voices; they belonged to his parents. Another flame rose inside his chest, filling him with hope that someone will escape him, rescue him from what he was most afraid of.

"Help me, please! Mom! Dad!"

He shouted and cried and pleaded them to rescue him, but they carried on quarreling as they turned a deaf ear to their son's agonizing bawls. And when his cries went unheard, the reality hit him. His innocent mind realized that he had been pushed into this hole, and not stumbled on an object. All the tiny sparks of hope were extinguished by a painful ignorance he couldn't decipher the reason for. He knew there was a way to escape, he could see the light. All he needed was help, and that help had to be disguised as genuine love. But he was alone. No one cared as he sulked in grief in the hole of oblivion, hopeless and defeated.

© 2018 AnayaJ.


Author's Note

AnayaJ.
Leave reviews! :)))

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very descriptive short story.

Well written and imagined, your piece has a relevance to many children who find themselves cast into the void of ignorance by the quarrels of adults. Alone, ignored and pleading for love and tenderness.

Your descriptive imagery is very strong, adding depth and emotion to your piece. Nicely done.



Posted 6 Years Ago


AnayaJ.

6 Years Ago

Thankyou Doodley! :)
Good piece - showing how a child has been neglected by his parents and how they ignore his cries for help and would rather argue and fight, abandoning the childs needs just so that they can get the upper hand in an argument. So sad that this happens for real but a really well written piece.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


AnayaJ.

7 Years Ago

Thankss!!! :))
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
it's quite a sad tale and I think it should be marked as a story not a poem because that is what it is.
Metaphorically , I can see this dark place the child had been pushed into as this own self contained space within where he struggles to escape with the courage to fight back against his parents. Too many children get locked in their rooms so parents can fight and it makes them feel scared and helpless.

Posted 7 Years Ago


AnayaJ.

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing!! It has not been written in the literal sense as in the child isn't locked in .. read more
...

7 Years Ago

of course, thank you for the explanation. That is sort of how I read it, not literally but metaphor.. read more
AnayaJ.

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much!!! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2016
Last Updated on October 20, 2018
Tags: sad, loneliness, oblivion

Author

AnayaJ.
AnayaJ.

Pakistan



Writing
Perhaps Perhaps

A Poem by AnayaJ.


Karma Karma

A Story by AnayaJ.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..