The Origin of Music

The Origin of Music

A Story by The New Bard
"

This particular piece was written for my AP English class. I spent hours on it; ironically, I was scored a 'B', but I guess that is how the cookie crumbles.

"

Several million millennia before the fabrication of a small planet termed Earth, deep, deep within the vicinity of what is now known as the Eagle Nebula, there briefly dwelled a being by the name of Cygnus. A celestial and extraterrestrial giant, Cygnus lived in solitude, a vagabond among these enigmatic cosmos. Never coming into contact with another intelligible being in its recorded lifetime, the history, age, origin, sex, and purpose of it remain positively unknown.  What is known, however, whether by intention or fault, is that it brought forth the advent one of the most vital and enchanting creations in the vast and indefinite universe.

Happening upon this long-forgotten nebula, Cygnus swam contently along the dense, star-forming clouds. Thereon, it identified three towering clusters of interstellar gas in the form of pillars. Traveling along its way, the heavenly being glided around each and every one of them. To its astonishment, the contact of its body against the clouds, along with its movements, created a smooth, ringing sound unlike anything it ever heard before.

Curious, it turned around and repeated the movement once more; this time, a comparable sound was hearkened. Over and over again, Cygnus traveled along the path, the pillars serving as strings on the world's initial and most colossal harp. The sound was luxurious, and it captured everything: the glorious birth of a newborn child and the tragic passing of a loved one; the ecstasy of discovery and the torment of loss; the paradiso of renaissance and the inferno of war; the joyous sensation of victory and the agonizing epiphany of failure - all of these in their pregnant causes mixed, creating colours as rich and abysmal as the most chaotic of vortices.

On it played, the format of this majestic concerto as vivid in detail as a galactic atlas, relating in everything the macrocosm had to offer. It was perhaps the greatest concert ever displayed, but no one would ever witness it, beside the musician itself.

Satiated, the godlike entity went along its way, eager to spread the news of its discovery, deeper, deeper into everlasting cosmos, as the last note faded away into oblivion.

© 2013 The New Bard


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013
Tags: origin, music, space, cosmos, aliens, extraterrestrial, nebula, beauty, celestial, world, universe