Flashbacks

Flashbacks

A Poem by Alex
"

My answer to the very foolish line "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

"

Click.

It interrupted the noise,

The thunderous vibrations,

Cacophony of fit boys

All killing for their nations.

Click.

Just a second, even less,

Of metal on metal.

Then a boom and great mess

Of torn limbs and shrapnel.

BOOM.

He jumped out of his seat

And fell sprawled on the floor.

This old man with no feet,

And no legs anymore.

Pop.

Another balloon popped,

And after he calmed,

Scarred children had stopped,

Some ran to their Moms.

Weeping within himself,

In the kids’ party in the parlor,

He cursed whoever said

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”.

© 2015 Alex


Author's Note

Alex
This was written to be submitted to the contest What People Say. Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very well-written piece on post traumatic stress disorder (as Schatzi pointed out). I like the treatment that you have given this, like associating sounds to the traumatic memories associated with the war that once surrounded the hapless soldier. Reminds us to stay away from it and ensure that peace prevails.
We writers have a huge role to play in keeping the world well-knit together.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Deep, thoughtful and sad. You are a better poet than you let on.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hello Alex,

I think you appropriately described an episode of PTSD and you did it very well. I hope you placed in the contest!

Thank you for sharing you work!

Kind regards,

Schatzi

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KBW
Love this. Is beautifully written and so powerful. It made the hair on the back of my neck Stand up. Keep writing and keep fighting! Bless you

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hello,

I really really like this. I think it was perfect and when you used the words click and boom it really resonated with me and i felt even more drawn into your poem. I have always enjoyed poems that rhyme and I am very happy that I was able to have read yours!

Thank you!
Ali :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cool poem. Quite engaging.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hi Alex I got your name from the top reviewers list and wanted to read some of your poetry and really enjoyed this one because of the talent it took to write it but feel very sad from the terrible message it speaks of, it is said wars are necessary but I'll never believe it, my husband was killed in Afghanistan and this made me cry but I know it has to be said, you are a very good poet -- thank you!

HUGGS!
Sammi

Posted 7 Years Ago


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I enjoyed the crap out of this. Nice.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Can't say i like this.. but tragic though it is, could read it over and over until self is more a pacifist than was. What a clever, NO! intelligent observation on and of war - Life's full-on tragedy.

Maybe my mind but... a clown entertainer creating aural and visual chaos to prove a point or maybe just make one?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hello, Alex. :)
I enjoyed your poem. I like the use of sounds. I think the last four lines could form their own stanza.

Posted 7 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

588 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2015
Last Updated on August 5, 2015

Author

Alex
Alex

Cohoes, NY



About
Though I will occasionally write a poem here or there, poetry is not something that I consider myself well versed in - no pun untended. Because of that, I will usually not review other poems, as the b.. more..

Writing
One - The Grotto One - The Grotto

A Chapter by Alex



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..