A Collateral Apology

A Collateral Apology

A Poem by Jim_F
"

It has been years now but, to those who meant so much to me, I will never forget you.

"

The Excuse: 
They say, the person got in our way. There is nothing that could have been done differently that day. "You did everything right. We are alive and alright." 

The Story: 
They weren't the ones who saw the the face and remembered the eyes during that horrific time. That poor little soul, still from time to time, keeps me up at night. And I continued to ask myself, "How is that right?" She wasn't even part of the fight. Having fun and kicking around a ball on the side of her not so safe street. The worst timing in the world happened when it was accidentally knocked onto the dangerous road by her small and uncoordinated feet. 

The Attempt: 
I apologized and prayed trying to atone for my sins. It didn't help the first, third, or hundredth time so I continued to do it over and over again. The vicious cycle didn't stop until I realized that this was never about me or the girl that is already at peace. It's about the grieving family that I never had a chance to talk to or see. 

The Apology: 
So here it goes, this is me telling the family that words and actions will never be enough and I am more than just sorry. 

The Gratitude: 
'Wars not a game and it's more than just what most know - Thank you soldiers for your sacrifices and some see your effort even when it comes to the darker parts of war that are untold and hidden by stories of triumph and glory.'

© 2016 Jim_F


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on March 31, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2016
Tags: War, Loss, Redemption, Atonement, Thanks

Author

Jim_F
Jim_F

Bloomington, MN



About
As wise as the man standing tall on the sky rise. A smile. He doesn't fall, he flies. All of a sudden there's a stop, a crash, he dies......What a Twist...... (Hint to the general populous: You do.. more..

Writing