Retrouvailles

Retrouvailles

A Poem by Pratik

There's an opposite to déjà vu. They call it jamais vu. It's when you meet the same people or visit places, again and again, but each time is the first. Everybody is always a stranger. Nothing is ever familiar.”- Chuck Palahniuk (Choke)

 

Evening summary -

Bee buzz,

Blue-grey Marlboro smoke,

Polished nails sticking out

As they softly tinkle their Pinot Noir glasses.

 

Vulpine flashes- sneaky and hermetic,

Crafting through the madness - and mine met too.

Alas! Clandestine cognizance can be a rocky affair.

 

Where was it? Ah! Rack your brains!

Alexandra’s wedding in '94?

The blonde in Pillbox hat and French netting?

Nope! 1981-Stockholm Airport!

We had our times, didn't we?

5 am dinners - and yes!

That Norfolk coast country trip!

Now don’t spill out the rest beneath the sheets!

 

“ Easy now!

Those chapped beads of the coral tiara!

They are hurting my groin - take it off ”

 

The trance wears off……

 

“ 53, Seventh Floor, The Marriott

I will see you around. ”

© 2012 Pratik


Author's Note

Pratik
This was a sudden write - unplanned and whimsical. It straddles across the genres of experimental, nonsense and a little bit of eroticism.
Sometimes we feel tickles in the stomach when we walk into a stranger - may be some loose threads of familiarity and a faint attraction. For a fraction of a second you ask yourself "Do I know her? Did she go to high school with me? Isn't she the one whom I had a fling with some N years ago on that business trip? " Then you arrange yourself, get composed and start all over again!!
'Retrouvailles ' is a French word which means the happiness of meeting again after a long time. I thought it was an appropriate title. It's one of those 10 relationship words that aren't translatable into English.
Hope you like it. Anything you have to say - shoot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoy your poetry Aaron, because you are an intellectually stimulating read and I mean that as the highest form of compliment. I have always found the déjà vu concept fascinating and here you introduce us to its polar opposite –––the "jamais vu." so, you've given us something new to ponder. Your piece here has that "reminiscing" flow, the tone and pauses of remembrance a form of story telling that I am particularly fond of; reminds me of two American poets, O'Hara and James Wright, poets who brought this type of poetry into our literary consciousness –––back in the 60's. I like how you snap the reader back into the present. Then left us wondering too, outside/or inside that elevator, about what the hell just happened? Nice piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks a million for this wonderful review. This one came like a bang! Just took me an evening to wr.. read more



Reviews

The erotic ventures of this write very apparent and well received by the reader. An amazing experimental write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


awesome imagery!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Cascara (aka Sprint Goes Cascading!)

11 Years Ago

you're welcome
awesome write Aaran.......deja vu is one of my favorite words.......as a matter of fact when I was a child I said I would name my daughter this....I am sure that my Amber Nicole is so glad I changed my mind.....thank you for the lesson also.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks a million Neva. I started to write this poem to talk about a chance meeting between two indiv.. read more
such an amazing write. Insightful to the other side of the deja vu. well crafted. thanks for sharing your talent.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Interseting, well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You always have such profound wisdom in you in your writes. Brilliant.


I never knew there was an opposite to deja vu. Thanks for the lesson. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you Anna... i didn't too! I found out after I had wrote the poem and the idea of it seemed to .. read more
The first stanza is art. It goes from here, becoming witty and then conversational, and I think it resembles the entire experience of jamais vu very well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks Steven :)
Oh dear friend, I already love your strong opening in the "Jamais vu" you're brilliant.

That is so true, in all, what has hold on so long the quote of Deja....vu...... I know you aswell as "Chuck Palahniuk" are brilliant :D

Oh those details, Pinot Noir, are you sure you're no European? ;)
That was lovely, I know famous over the world, but to only knowers of it....

You're such a brilliant time traveler, sorry my dearest friend, I couldn't go without a glimpse of your brilliant writing, now I can sleep :) I felt at home in this.

Hugs, Eli, be good and till soon!
So wonderully written, into my favorites!




Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks for that generous review Emily! You made my day.. My mind is always roaming all over the glob.. read more
I think it's perfect. We have all experienced moments of wonder and the story and twist you put with it is wonderful..xo

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you Lily :) It was great to have your views on my work :0

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1604 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on September 29, 2012
Last Updated on September 29, 2012

Author

Pratik
Pratik

Raleigh, NC



About
Hello! I am Pratik Mukherjee from Calcutta, India - the city of Mother Teresa and the famous poet Tagore. My pen name is Aaran, a variant of the word 'Aran' and derived from the Aran Islands, a gro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..