ZsaZsa Avenges

ZsaZsa Avenges

A Poem by Pratik
"

"Happy Halloween"

"





The mandarin orb


Benign and Bewitching,


It had all its fruitiness scooped out, as Juan Carter bore through the tinctures of its farm-bred flesh.

Tiny pink fingers  scuttled into the scatters of bread knife, toothpicks and  sterling-silver spoons only to be snapped by his father’s beefy, pumpkin-primrose  hands.

 

“Now, no fooling around Eth!

Daddy is getting Mr. Jack ready!”

 

           Troika eyes                                     Jagged, macabre grin


Dawdled

In the sphere of Persian-vermilion.


Innards lit with

Trifling terracotta urns

Of kindled paraffin oil,

It hung

On ebonite curtain rods

Teasing the dying October air.

 

“Hey pops! This is spooky!”


Carter Sr. was pleased.


“Happy Halloween, son”

 

*~*~NIGHTFALL~*~*


The revelries ebbed away leaving a shriveled Texas neighborhood. The elms groaned on the banks of the Turtle Creek as a colony of spectacled flying foxes descended upon the deserted Dallas streets.

Somewhere in Pemberton Hills, Carter Residence, little Ethan twitched in his sleep. His unmindful lips smacked off Necco-Wafer crumbs he had gobbled in Trick-or-Treat parades.


A sudden, wily chill creaked open the window panes !


Eth wrapped himself tighter in the warlock cloak he was still dressed in.

 

 

Wordless POP!


A four-legged creature loomed on the window sill. It was a

Norwegian Forest Cat.


Ember eyes

And

Furry coat of

Smoky, oriental patterns.


Ethan Carter slept away oblivious to her feline glowers that ogled him. She sneered as she saw Jack- the Pumpkin head, still bobbing amidst swaying nylon sheets.


Her paw rose to meet

Its hanging hollowness.

(A pee-wee cucumber beetle clamored out.)

She pawed again!



Upside down went the lantern!

The urns tumbled!


The linens at the window got smeared in the paraffin-combustion promptly setting off in a yellow-maroon blaze.

 

 

The old Mrs. Connelly woke up squinting at the light from her Cheyenne Road apartment.


“Isn’t that at the Carters’?

Jesus Christ!

Henry! Call the 911!”

 

o~o~THE MORNING AFTER~o~o


Khaki-clad men in round metal caps bustled in the flooded neighborhood. Water still dribbled from the pipes of big, red tanks towards that half-baked Salisbury steak they once called home. The ambulances went bangety-bang as they rushed in to carry off an unconscious five-year old boy. No one heard the oriole singing that day!

 

“I’m sorry to bother you Mr. Carter

But we found these in your son’s room; Might be some animal’s”


Sheriff Jones spoke to a dazed man.


Long, tabby hairs!


* * FLASH BACKS * *


A Monday street

The chauffeur honked its way through

Until a confetti

Of whiskers-n-bones

Dunked under in a squash.


 * * * * * *


“That must be ZsaZsa, the Sebestyén’s cat

But she got ran over...um… last week…by my car.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2012 Pratik


Author's Note

Pratik
This was written for Halloween… It’s just one week away I guess, so I decided to publish the poem as a precursor :) As you can see, it is actually a prose-poem… a prosaic form interspersed with poetic verses… I wanted it to give a colorful, picture-postcard feel keeping in mind the celebrations that are about to trigger off, but this is what I have managed… It’s just a simple, no-frills write with some dark humor to offer… bit long, but couldn't help it..let me know if you enjoyed it :)
P.S : I’m a bit busy till the 4th of November ( I have two exams lined up ). So a big sorry if I haven’t been able to attend to your read requests… But I promise to get back to all of you as soon as I wind up things…. Take care and a Happy Halloween in advance :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Creative combinated mix of what makes Halloween. Nicely done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2224 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 16, 2012
Last Updated on October 26, 2012
Tags: Halloween, Jack-o-lantern, ZsaZsa, Norwegian Forest cat, revenge, venegence, fire, accident, ghost, horror

Author

Pratik
Pratik

Raleigh, NC



About
Hello! I am Pratik Mukherjee from Calcutta, India - the city of Mother Teresa and the famous poet Tagore. My pen name is Aaran, a variant of the word 'Aran' and derived from the Aran Islands, a gro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deja vu Deja vu

A Poem by Muse