Downfall

Downfall

A Story by Terrance
"

just a short story

"

Downfall

When I was a boy I always saw the world for what I wanted to see it as. I’ve always saw every opportunity right in front of it me, a sense of adventure you could say. Life back then was simple and full of wonder, the complexity of life is what makes things so hard but who's to say that it has to be so difficult?


He adjusted himself as he was laying on a leather red sofa. In front of him was a female psychologist, hair tied back in a bun with black hair, black frame glasses and a white coat. with a purple blouse that was tucked into her knee length skirt with black stockings. She looked up with her staggering blue eyes as if she was trying to read his mind. “So tell me more about your childhood.” she said.


“As a kid I didn’t talk much, I didn’t want much, only thing I wanted was the love from others.” He said as he stared at the ceiling.

“You weren’t loved?” she asked him taking down notes.

“ My parents…. they ...loved me… but that wasn’t enough to fill the void that is my lioness in my heart.I would always had to play by myself, talk to myself to a point where I created an imaginary friend.”





He said, with a slight laughter coming from him as he cracked a half smile.

“I see, I understand that in early development years  for children, they tend to create things to keep them company like a friend or games, reason why kids are so imaginative, nothing wrong in that” she said as she leaned back into her chair taping the end of the pen on the clipboard.


His smile faded away as he readjusted himself, sitting up, hands folded and staring back at her with a facial expression that was mixed with fear, joy and sadness.

Things were okay but, what would happen if the creation of your own thoughts started to have its own will? What if I told you that the things that are created inside a mind of a child is the very essence of reality and fear.

The psychologist looked at him for a second with concern and doubt trying to understand what he meant.


You see ma’am, as a kid I learned something very important that my so called imaginary friend told me” he said with an expressionless face looking down on carpet below , thinking back into lost memories.

What was that?” she asked as she stopped writing, her heart oddly pounding, she’s been doing this for years, researching and studying the human mind, but for the first time, she can’t grasp what is being told to her as if, her own mind subconsciously is telling her that she doesn't have to know nor wants to.

He told me, our reality is nothing more than fragments of ourselves trying to complete a puzzle that doesn't exist. Who you are is a false misinterpretation of the life you want to live.”

He looked up back at her with a smile as his eyes represented the same as before, but this time there was more joy with a mixed of anger.

Sir… how is this possible? Your imaginary friend, reality? It’s own will? You were a child, how could you even comprehend such a thought? In fact how are you not unstable more importantly?

She said as her breathing got heavier, she felt knots tying around her heart as she couldn't keep her eyes off him, as if she wanting more answers.

When I was a boy I always saw the world for what I wanted to see it as. I’ve always saw every opportunity right in front of it me, a sense of adventure you could say. Life back then was simple and full of wonder, the complexity of life is what makes things so hard but who's to say that it has to be so difficult?” He was being very cryptic, repeating what he said before as flashbacks of his memories of being a child were in front of him, seeing him walking down a road all alone.

You see my friend he’s special, he understands what I seek and what I need, I came to you today to understand what I need from myself, if there was anything else I left behind.”

Sir yo-

He cut her off before she could say anything.

He’s watching you as we speak, choose your words wisely

Her eyes widen with fear as she couldn't understand what was going on, she could only understand the basic principles.

I-is that a threat?

She stuttered not knowing what to say to that.

Take it how you would want to take it as, i’m just saving your life.

He said as he got up, black shoes with long black pants and belt, having red suspenders with a black collar shirt and a red tie. Glasses with gray frames with long puffy black hair, having a dark  skin tone.

“Who are you?.”

She asked, sacred but at the same time strangely intrigued.

He walked towards her as she leans down with one hand holding the bottom of her chin making her look at him straight in the eyes.

“When I was a boy I always saw the world for what I wanted to see it as, Now I want to see the world for what It should be,not what it is, i’m a dream crusher who only exist in the dream we call life, I am of the world but not part of it.”  He lets go of her chin as he started to turn around and walk away. The psychologist was speechless, she couldn't muster up anything from what she was told.

He took out a small cigarette box and slid one out, taking out a lighter from his out pocket. He lit the end of it and started to inhale, then letting out a puff of smoke. He tilt his head a little and stopped before his hand reached the door handle.

“When you lose something precious to you, it's only natural to get it back right? We’ll talk again” He smiled as he opened the door, she looked at him as his form disappeared behind the door.

Who is his friend?.... What did he lose?...” she put one hand under her chin where he held it, sitting there thinking more things than she ever thought in her life.

She wondered how she’s going to get through the rest of her day with her appointments.

© 2017 Terrance


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on October 18, 2017
Last Updated on October 18, 2017
Tags: psychology, thinking.reality, story, child

Author

Terrance
Terrance

Philadelphia , PA



About
I'm Terrance I'm American Haitian and I love to express myself through writing. more..

Writing
Purpose Purpose

A Poem by Terrance


Blurred Blurred

A Poem by Terrance