Balance Beam

Balance Beam

A Story by

They say, once upon a time, only exists in fairy tales. But, at fifteen, I’ve had my once upon a time, that one special once upon a dream. I guess maybe, that because I’ve had my fairy tale, this may not seem like forbidden love. But it is. Again, I’m only fifteen years old. My name is Aurelleah, but more commonly, I am Rae. I’m a sophomore in high school, and I have already found my perfect fairy tale love. But the difference is, fairy tales have happy endings, this may or may not.

 

I suppose, the difference between thinking you love someone and loving someone is finding the one person in your life, who you wouldn’t die for, who you wouldn’t kill for, no, the one person, you’d live for. You know, the person who sets your soul on fire, whose eyes make you melt, whose arms are never a cage rather a home, whose scent is as addictive as nicotine and caffeine, whose hand fits perfectly in yours, whose voice makes you cry because it’s beautiful. That one person who can take someone who’s so close to suicide and take away all the memories, keeping you safe, that’s love. The one person who can change your entire perspective on life with just a kiss on the top of your head, that’s the person you truly love. That’s a, no, that’s my fairy tale romance.

 

I was fourteen years old last summer. I was young and naïve and I thought I was in love. I switched schools in the middle of the year. I took up a class called Digital Film. On November 11, 2008 I met the person who was my fairy tale.

 

Yeah, I know, “You’ve already said you were young and naïve,” but the thing is, he’s still my fairy tale.

 

It was December 4th that I got my heartbroken freshman year. I was fourteen, young, innocent, naïve, and I thought I was in love, turns out, eight months after he left me, he decides to tell me that he never loved me. It didn’t matter to me, it had figured, but it still hurt.

 

I went through a long time being in a lot of emotional pain. But I ended up finding my fairy tale again, my balance beam if you will.

 

I started hanging out with him more and more.

 

Eventually he asked me out, although I suppose eventually means May 12th. Though it was through a small note, I adored the idea of it. I’ll never forget the words of an old country song.

I never really did understand what it was about him that I loved so much. Maybe it was the way he treated me.

 

James. He was eighteen. We had a blissful four months together. Four perfect months. Four months where I forgot all of my pain. Where I lost all of my sanity, but four months where I was whole. The four months that I was myself.

 

You see. The thing is, Jimmy has turned nineteen, and my parents found out. In September they broke us up.

 

Jimmy was my fairy tale. Without him, I don’t want love. But the thing is, I know now how much I love him. I know that it was fairy tale style love. And I know, that even though there are so many things that are making my fairy tale forbidden to me, that one day, love will rule all, and I will get my James, my heart, my soul, my life, my will to live. I will wait for him. For the one thing that we cannot have, is the thing we want and strive for the most.

 

So they say, Once Upon A Time only happens in fairy tales, then maybe I should give you the fairytale.

 

Once upon a time in a one horse town, a man loved a young lady. But he could not have because the law was no one over eighteen summers could love someone younger. No one new and their love blossomed for four long months. Then the lady’s parents learned of their love and threatened to turn him into the authorities if he didn’t leave their daughter alone. The young lady pined for the man and he for her, but they couldn’t have each other. It was forbidden…

 

© 2009


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on November 30, 2009

Author


Writing
These Words These Words

A Poem by


Can I Keep You Can I Keep You

A Poem by


PS I Love You PS I Love You

A Poem by