Flirting with Death pt 2

Flirting with Death pt 2

A Story by Adorkable Neko
"

How many days had gone by I wondered, looking around the mausoleum one last time before giving up my search for her. Every day I had come back to this spot in hopes of seeing her again...

"


How many days had gone by I wondered, looking around the mausoleum one last time before giving up my search for her. Every day I had come back to this spot in hopes of seeing her again, only to be met with disappointment and a new wave of sullen disdain. I hung my head and sighed. Clearly I had to result to new measures.

Ideas had been waltzing in my head for weeks now; ideas of scoping out recent crime scenes to see if the lady Death was anywhere to be found, ideas of attending every funeral until the end of my days in order to by slight chance come across her one more time. There had to be a way.

I could always bring her to me… I mused, the thought seemed brilliant. I was desperate, and dire needs spring forth dire action. I grumbled to myself, lost in my own mind and scarcely paying attention as I crossed the street to begin my way back to my car.

Tires screeched and a horn blew at me as a vehicle came flying in my direction. It was the horn that caused me to look up in horror as the rusty red SUV swerved and went barreling into another car parked at the roads’ edge. The resounding crunch of metal and framework echoed in the street, glass exploding from car windows and a splash of blood painting the windshield of the SUV.

My eyes were transfixed on the gory scene, my heart frozen mid-beat in my throat. Was this… Was this my fault? Unsure steps drew me closer to the wreckage, feeling glass crunch underneath my high-top shoes. All around people started to emerge from buildings to catch a glimpse of the carnage. Flashes from phone cameras blinked at the crash, shocked social media blurbs buzzing onto the internet. I took another step forward and then found myself smiling.

It was her!

My heart was beating again, a million miles a second and ready to explode from my chest. I felt comforted by the sight of that massive scythe, the hood of her robes pulled down over those cool blue eyes. She looked to me and shook her head, the faintest smile playing across her features. I was beyond ecstatic to take in her image once more. Every bit as perfect as I had memorized, not a flaw to be found.

I was on a cloud, floating towards her as she rose her scythe and slashed it along through the wrecked SUV. It seemed to move so easily through the twisted metal and shattered glass, slicing straight through as if it weren’t even there. She smiled once more and offered me a two finger salute before vanishing once again.

“Damn it!” I cursed aloud, only then realizing the severity of the situation I could soon be in if I didn’t turn tail and take off back to my car. In the distance the blaring horns of sirens cried out their warming to oncoming traffic and I quickly took back to shuffling out of the scene.

I flung open the door to my car as I came to it, quickly slamming it shut and grasping the steering wheel firmly. I then proceeded to smack my head against it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid… I thought with each hit against the wheel, my car horn giving a half-assed grunt as my forehead connected. What was I even thinking? How do you even talk to Death? Hey Death, you wanna do coffee sometime? For f**k’s sake I was a grand idiot. But I saw her again… a tiny smile curved the corners of my lips. Maybe it wasn’t all bad. Maybe I stood some form of a chance. She had smiled at me, after all.

I drew a long breath and slumped back in the driver’s seat, my head only slightly hurting from its beating. I suppose that was one way to see her again. I spent a moment more gathering my thoughts, once again her image haunting me. My eyes slipped closed and I could see her there, radiant and perfect, ebon locks fluttering in the breeze.

How I longed to hear her voice again now, that warm little chuckle that trickled beyond her lips and rang clear in my ears. I knew the moment I had first glimpsed her that I would always be wanting more… just another moment longer to absorb her.

****


I smiled to myself as I looked down at the papers strewn across the coffee table. Frantic scribbles darted across the pages, excited lines circling around names and places. I had come up with a plan to see her again.

The past few days I had been visiting nursing homes and lurking around corners in hopes of spotting my dark-haired beauty. I had snuck the smallest glances of her from time to time when I heard the code blues sound in the halls. Her eyes bore straight into my soul and oh that gentle curve of those ruby lips. It was heaven! Still, though, I had failed in my attempts to speak to her, all to hear her words again; but I was making progress.

Tiny glimpses were not enough anymore. I wanted to drink in her beauty and grace and get wind of her voice. Surely she recognized me every time, why else would she smile? I grinned again as I took a final look over my papers, nodding to myself, pleased.

It was simple. She only appeared when people died, so why not bring the death to me? It would have seemed a long shot if I wasn’t so convinced it would work. Surely it had to. I tossed my pen unto the table and pushed off from my seat. Tonight I was going to hunt a criminal, and I was going to get her to talk to me… 

© 2016 Adorkable Neko


Author's Note

Adorkable Neko
I will eventually condense this all into one full piece, but for now, please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The whole thing is intriguing - making a reality out of stalking death and falling in love with her cruel beauty... It provides an opportunity to describe a gory scene like the vehicle crash... and the combination of longing for the beloved and blood-splattered carnage is racy and heady... a decidedly edgy eroticism!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Crazy, reckless, gory, macabre, basically everything you would expect when you decide to flirt with death. I like where this is going. Really enjoyed this piece though. Keep up the awesome read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The whole thing is intriguing - making a reality out of stalking death and falling in love with her cruel beauty... It provides an opportunity to describe a gory scene like the vehicle crash... and the combination of longing for the beloved and blood-splattered carnage is racy and heady... a decidedly edgy eroticism!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 2, 2016
Last Updated on August 2, 2016
Tags: death, romance, supernatural, lady death, first person, short story

Author

Adorkable Neko
Adorkable Neko

Bradenton, FL



About
Hello everyone! My name's Neko and I figured I'd give this site a shot to try and get my writing out to more people. I am by no means a professional, just someone who enjoys to write in her spare time.. more..

Writing
Vamp Vamp

A Poem by Adorkable Neko



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..