Flirting with Death pt 4

Flirting with Death pt 4

A Story by Adorkable Neko
"

Daily life seemed to be a haze to me now. I shuffled through each day with my mind transfixed only on how I was going to see her again...

"

****


Daily life seemed to be a haze to me now. I shuffled through each day with my mind transfixed only on how I was going to see her again. There had been nothing in the news lately about my last interaction with lady Death, so it would seem I was in the clear for now.

I grunted and grumbled to myself as I flopped around in my bed. It was somewhere near 2 a.m. and sleep eluded me. Kicking the sheets off my legs I heaved a heavy sigh and stared blankly at the ceiling. Her vision was like a drug and I was fiending for more. Agitated, I beat my fists into the mattress, trying to punch my way into a comfortable position though I knew then it was hopeless. Sitting up in bed, I ran a hand over my face, trying to regain some bit of control of my longing to see her.

I can’t wait any longer… I was filled with determination, a dire need for another encounter the only thing I was able to concentrate on. Swinging my feet over the edge of the bed, I shoved up, flicking on the all too bright lamp in the stillness of the night.

Outside cats scrapped in the alleyways, knocking over garbage cans and causing a fuss that most of the other world was deaf to at these hours. I reached into my closet and grabbed my black hoodie from the other night, now clean and hanging amongst my dress shirts and pants like nothing had ever happened. It wasn’t too terribly cold out, but the comfort of the black fabric was soothing to me.

I pulled the jacket over my head and slid into some black pants. Dressed like I had the night of my last date with Death. Wandering over to my dresser, I rummaged through the top drawer for a moment before my fingers found their way around the handle of my trusty knife. I couldn’t help but think of how cliché I must seem, clad all in black with a chef’s knife clenched in my grasp. A flash of lightning from the window gave me that classic horror look as I examined my reflection in my vanity mirror. I sighed softly, hanging my head and shaking it at the generic murderer vibe I was giving off.

You’re gonna get in trouble if you keep this up… But it was too late, I had already slipped the knife into my front jacket pocket and made my way through my home and to the front door.

“I’m just going for a walk.” I said to no one in particular, unsure of who I was trying to convince as I stepped onto the streets and made my way down the alleys. My hand gripped the blade handle tight as I turned down random corners, left, right, left, left, wandering aimlessly and unsure of what I would find. Thunder grumbled and the skies hung heavy above me, every star blacked out by full cloud cover.

Maybe it was destiny that guided my steps this night, maybe it was pure luck, but in the distance there came the vocalization of a struggle.

“Get away from me, you creep!” cried a female; I took a few steps closer until the scene filled my vision.

Before me a rather thin woman was being pushed against the alley wall by a very large and burly man. He was easily twice her size, towering a good foot above her despite her effort to gain some height from platformed stiletto heels. She was blonde and skinny, wearing a form fitting dress that appeared to be made of red latex. Her cheeks were rouge and her blue-green eyes were filled with fear as she struggled beneath him.

“H-Hey…!” my grip on the blade in my pocket tightened as I found my perfect excuse to see her again. “Leave her alone…!”

The man slowly turned his gaze to me. Fire blazed in his eyes as his thick brow rose in question. He was gruff, deep-chested and beefy, fat hands lined with fatter golden rings. His skin was the color of creamy coffee and the stubble across his cheeks and chin looked razor sharp.

“Help me!” the woman cried, but her words were lost to me.

Just go in, slice his throat and then you can ask Death her real name. Simple as that.

I pulled the knife from my pocket and met the man’s gaze. A smile twitched in the corners of my lips as I made a step forward. The burly man let go of the thin woman and she took off as he turned to face me, laughing. I was focused. Focused on seeing her again. Focused on being able to gaze once more upon those beautiful lips, that perfect hair, those chilling eyes…

A full smile now formed at the thought of her and the man arched an eyebrow.

“Are you a f*****g idiot, man?” he took a step towards me. “You really must be.” The distance between us was growing shorter.

I licked my lips and brought up the knife.

“I’m gonna ask her her name.” I said with pride, rushing forward with the tip of the knife leading me. The man had little time to react, confused by my statement and unprepared for my sudden burst of movement. The knife plunged deep into his gut, and I smiled as his face twisted in pain.

I could feel the blade go all the way in, getting warmer as it sunk deeper into his body. Looking down at his stomach as the handle met the cloth of his shirt, deepening in color as the blood began to flow.

“Y-You f****r!” The man cried at me, reaching for the wrist attached to the knife.

I became more aware of the situation then, cursing myself for not getting a killing wound in him. Quickly I withdrew the knife from his gullet, gripping it firm and jerking it up, breaking his grip on my wrist. With a hurried slash, I drew the edge of the blade across his neck, feeling the resistance of his jugular vein tear open to a splatter of crimson.

He was gurgling now as his lungs swallowed down the flowing blood. His breath was wheezing through the hole in his throat. That fire in his eyes was turning into frantic tongues, flickering their remaining light as he grasped at his flayed neck, sinking to his knees in the alleyway. There was blood spattering everywhere then. Heavy droplets of warm life splashed across my face, dripping lower across my chest and then finally across my lap as he fell to his knees before me. I watched in wide-eyed wonder, breathing heavily as he struggled for his last breaths.

His gaze was locked upon me when finally, it seemed to let go. The fire finally died, and when it did, my own eyes began to search. I knew she would be there any moment.

Where is she? She should be here now. Come on Death, hurry up!

“Jesus, Eric. You’re a mess...” she shook her head at me, standing beside my latest victim.

“Uh… Yea...” I blushed, shoving the bloody knife into my jacket pocket. I looked a definite mess as I stood there awkwardly, rubbing the back of my head and nervously digging my foot into the ground trying to find the perfect transition into asking her name.

“H-hey...” I stuttered, my tongue must have weighed a hundred pounds as it tripped in my mouth. “What’s your name?” My face was burning, though it was hard to notice behind the splatters of blood across it.

Death rose a dark brow at me, a coy smirk playing her ruby lips.

“Adaliah.” she took up her scythe and slashed through the now deceased man beside her.

“Adaliah…” I echoed dreamily, now floating on a cloud and a dumb smile spreading to my cheeks now. She could only chuckle, hoisting her weapon atop her shoulders as she tossed her loose curls back.

“Be careful getting home.” her icy eyes were the warmest thing I had even seen as she smiled back at me and offered her two finger salute before vanishing.

“Yea… thanks...” I mouthed moonily, almost certain I was floating on a cloud as I turned and headed back home. Every step was clouded in a surreal fantasy as I made my way to my apartment.


I didn’t think to be so thankful of the dark on my way back until I turned on my bathroom light and stared back in horror at the dark red splatters across my entire front. How in the ever-loving hell did I make it back home without someone screaming. I caught a glimpse of the clock in my bedroom.

4:45am.

Okay, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I turned on the bathroom sink and let the water run for a moment before grabbing the nearest wash cloth and beginning the task of cleaning myself up. There was a warmth in my heart as I began to hum her name in my head, over and over. The water did its work to cleanse my face but it was nothing compared to the cleansing I felt in my soul.

Adaliah….

It was a symphony in my mind, birds chirping and butterflies fluttering, angels singing out in glorious harmony as I danced with her name. I shirked out of my clothes, leaving the damp black ensemble in a heap on the floor in my room. Twirling about in the lamplight I wore a permanent grin.

“Adaliah…!” I sang to myself, leaping into bed and grabbing a long pillow to hug it against me. “My sweet Adaliah, I can’t wait to see you again!” Beaming, I buried my face into the pillow, begging it to be her sweet form, wanting to feel her warmth and her embrace as I hugged tighter. The world was alive for me right now, and I could not contain my excitement. I had to find a new target soon or I would ruin the chemistry that was brewing with my sweet lady Death.

I settled into my bed, my cheeks warm, my heart beating wildly, hugging my pillow against me as I began to slip into a wondrous slumber.

Tomorrow. I’m gonna see her again tomorrow.


****



© 2016 Adorkable Neko


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
Added on August 6, 2016
Last Updated on August 6, 2016
Tags: death, romance, supernatural, lady death, first person, short story, murder, homicide

Author

Adorkable Neko
Adorkable Neko

Bradenton, FL



About
Hello everyone! My name's Neko and I figured I'd give this site a shot to try and get my writing out to more people. I am by no means a professional, just someone who enjoys to write in her spare time.. more..

Writing
Vamp Vamp

A Poem by Adorkable Neko