Anamnesis

Anamnesis

A Poem by Aella.lives

My cabin by the lake sits on a small hill,

Filled with dandelions and daffodils.

I revisit this place in my dreams,

In my own state of anamnesis.

I can toss and I can turn,

But my mind will still be filled with the rich smell of cleome.

 

The riptide caused by storms can be heard from a distance.

Taut air fills the space during rich cracks of lightning.

Crickets and other insects play instrumental music leaving their audience breathless.

My cabin by the lake is a marvelous place that I revisit in a state of anamnesis.

 

Day to day I waste acquiescently,

Listening to arguments between faceless guests.

The tumbleweed of my life floats by without my knowledge.

Waiting for me to notice.

Though at night I visit a place where phantom creatures dance around a glowing lake.

They whisper their messages into the air,

Leaving their audience in awe.

I visit this place in my own state of anamnesis.

© 2012 Aella.lives


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews


Eeeep, the scene you set is so vivid and alive, it gave me chills. I felt like there were a thousand breezes of willow eyes around me.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well I learned two more things today. :) The debate I've seen time and time again in poetry is to what level of intelligence one should write. Should they make it as difficult as possible or keep it simple? I think neither are appropriate because if poetry doesn't challenge you, then it's lost it's purpose. I think you struck a happy medium and the context did well to define the words that I didn't know. (Not that I'm a flower person anyway.)

From the introduction to Stephen King's Night Shift on being a writer, "You have to have a taste for words. Gluttony. You have to want to roll in them. You have to read millions of them written by other people. You read everything with grinding envy or weary contempt."

I don't think you "conceal ineptitude with long words" (another phrase taken from that same introduction) by making the theme of the poem the word that intrigued you. Inspiration to write comes in all forms and it takes a good writer to recognize that. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


First I'm going to start off with saying I'm not trying to "show off," I'm simply expanding my own vocabulary with unfamiliar words. And the word "anamnesis" I found was inspiring, so I wanted to write a poem based on the definition. I figured, 'hey, even if they don't know what the word means, context clues are everything'. Apparently I was wrong.

So for those that don't know anamnesis (an-am-ne-sis) is a recollection (of events).

Cleome is just a type of flower.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I enjoyed the vision though the painting was distorted by shadows. What I mean is I was forced to leave the flow of your poem to refer to the dictionary twice. Then, even though I understood the meaning of the word anamnesis, I tripped over it. What might have been a sweet experience was confused by the unfamiliar term that distracted from your writing.

On another level I wondered, "is this poet trying to show off?" Again, a distraction this time on an emotional level. It isn't whether you were trying to impress with your grasp of vocabulary. It isn't about truth...it is about distraction and confusion.

I know you to be a very good poet. I also know that being treated to my true reaction is the best thing for you.

All the best.

PS the other word was cleome. :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Hot damn you are good. Another poem that is as multi layered as it is textured. Never mind what your writing is like, it has been a true joy to read. You opened up an entire world and made it real with a handful of words. Great work

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2012
Last Updated on January 11, 2012

Author

Aella.lives
Aella.lives

Bitter Isles, GA



About
I write poetry and occasionally short stories as a hobby... I am so completely lost in what I want to do with my life.. But I enjoy what little bit of life I do have... I have a cat named Elvis and .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..