Atychiphobia - a new generation phobia

Atychiphobia - a new generation phobia

A Story by Sparsa Chowdary

"Harry! Speak to me. I am your best friend, right. Say something. Why are you behaving like this,"asked Mr.John, the psychotherapist and a friend of Harry's father. "Look, don't worry. You can share your feelings with me. Just relax..." Mr. John looked at the absent-minded Harry.

Hai, I am Harry. The same boy Mr.John is trying to speak with. You know what my problem is? And what I am doing in this closed neat clinic in front of this man with my parents sitting out in the visiting room for the past 15 minutes? Then let me clear this out. It's a case of ''Atychiphobia', they say. I really don't know what it meant. May be something like -fear of failure. It's not genetic, let me be straight, atleast not in my case. It goes straight to my childhood. A rather colorless,gloomy and a lonely one. As a boy, I was playful. The kindergarten was the last place where I was happy to my fullest. Then I entered the school and my problems started. Punctuality,listen to classes, notes, answer the questions, scoldings, concentrate, homeworks, exams, pass with flying colors, go to next class and repeat the same. I was so good at games but studies always disappointed me. "Harry! Call your parents. Need to talk about your bad marks" "This boy will never succeed in life" "Useless boy" were the only words that the teacher ever talked to me. The situation was same in the house too. "Learn from your brother. He is so good at studies. He comes first in all the subjects. And you? Fail! In all subjects! Such a shame, " dad frowned. My brother received more attention and care than me only because he was more good at studies? Was I nothing to them if I didn't study well? "But I can't study a thing. I can't read," I offended. But in vain. Dad was more furious and tried to hit me, while mom stopped and dad left. Tears rolled down my cheeks but the picture of that wicked smile of my brother did not leave my mind till now. That was not the first time time. The same scene repeatedly happened in my life as a same reel rolled over and over again for thousand times. The angry dad, what to do expression of mom and the cunning smile of my brother,still flashes in my mind whenever I face an exam. Heartbeat increases, it takes some difficulty to breathe or say breathlessness, I get nervous. My body behaves as if attacked by a devil. Vomiting sensation, stomach pain, the thought of an exam drives me crazy. The only thought I get in my mind is "I can't write the exam. I will fail. I don't want to fail. My parents will be angry at me. My dad will certainly beat me this time. My brother wI'll bully me. For my friends, they will tease me. They'll get promoted to next class and I'll remain the same. No!! This can't happen," I even screamed and tore the exam paper once. I ran out of the school to the lake side. I cried for hours. Then finally I decided. I'll never attend any exam in my life. I don't want anyone to make fun of me or scold me. I'll never go for an exam. I stood, wiped my tears and again said the same to myself. Meanwhile my parents have been searching for me when I went to my house rather bold and rigid. Dad scolded again and shouted at me for leaving the exam and going somewhere, mom cried and hugged me. But I went straight to my room. Threw my books from the rack. Their very sight triggered the same reel inside the mind. My dad entered, saw all the books on the floor, hold my hand hard. It hurt me. "How can you be so stupid? Say you'll not repeat this again. Say you'll study well. Speak up!" dad shouted. "No! No!" I yelled pushing my dad, "I won't study. I can't.I will never study in my life," dad was shocked. Mom entered briskly and tried to convince me. But I was already convinced by then. Not to attempt any exam ever. I'll be a free bird. No fear of failure. Years passed. Dad changed his mind. He doesn't consider studying to be the only aim in life. Brother got a wonderful job with good salary and doing well. He no more bothers about me. I remain the same. No exam, just play. I left school long back ago. Mom with a little hope brought me to this man. No one ever understood me. How will he, now? Just a waste of time.

"Harry! I told your parents to sit outside so that you could talk to me. Be free, boy," Mr. John expressed his patience. Harry sighed and told everything to him. "Now don't say, I should change. I never changed nor will I, " Harry remarked."No, no, don't change. Don't change for your brother as he is happy with his job. Don't change for your friends, they even don't remember you. Don't change for your neighbour, they don't care about you. And please don't change for your parents either, they already lost hope on yo, " Mr. John was sharp. Harry was startled by the reply. Mr. John continued, "but what about you? No job job, means no money. After your parents, your brother will leave you and there will be no friend either. No lady love, no kids, no family. Even for you to live, how will you earn?" The question was straight and clear but Harry had no answer. He didn't ever thought of it. "But I can't. I will fail for sure" " Do a business or go for your favorite game selection. I too agree that studies are not the only thing is life" "Selection! If I fail? No.No, I won't " "To gain something we have to leave something. If you want success, hard work and some risk is necessary in life" Harry was about to say something when Mr. John interrupted, "think over it, again. It's not for anyone else. It's for your own future."

John made Harry sit outside and called his parents in."Will he be alright, John," Harry's father asked. "You see, his childhood incidents have buried themselves deep in his mind. You yourself are responsible for that. He was a child. He understands the words with love but not with anger. That mistake of yours have made him like this today today. He is suffering from a condition called 'Atychiphobia'. It is an abnormal, persistent fear of failure, a type of specific phobia." Harry's father hung his head in shame." I agree. It was my fault. Isn't there any solution to this?" he asked. "Will power and motivation can change anything. But that's not the complete solution. There are treatments like self-help and other motivational techniques. Sometimes, serotonin can also be given to make the mind mote manageable. Don't worry. He'll be alright. Don't lose hope and don't make him lose either. Explain him that failure is not the end but is a new beginning to the success. We'll together certainly cure him."

After few years -

Hey, hi Harry here. Well, let me introduce you to a new me. I am now a football player, got selected to the national football team too. Yeah, it was bit difficult. Overcame failure finally to reach success. My parents didn't leave my hand and always encouraged me. Guess what! My brother became my best friend. All my friends, some if which I don't remember either are greeting and wishing me luck. I found my lady love and we are going to be married soon. You all are invited. A new life. A new beginning. Thanks to Mr.John. It's all because of me. I realised my talent. I realised what I am. Thank you too for being with me. As for now, I am getting late. I am gotta go to the field, it's the international game festival and I am in. Bye, catch you later. Good luck.


© 2015 Sparsa Chowdary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on May 9, 2015
Last Updated on May 9, 2015

Author

Sparsa Chowdary
Sparsa Chowdary

Visakhapatnam , India



About
I am a happy go lucky girl. I love writing very much. So I want to learn and explore more about poems, stories, songs...as all these fascinate me. If you have any advices regarding improvement in writ.. more..

Writing