All you have is love

All you have is love

A Story by Amy Brook
"

Sometimes dark moments show you how to be your own light.

"



As life is wont to offer, I have experienced the ins and outs of the deepest darkness and came one desperate night many years ago to be sitting on the back stairs of my own home on Garfield Avenue in Salt Lake City trying to sequester myself for the powerful and frightening things that had been drawn to me. 


And maybe there comes a point in everyone’s life where they are faced with the threat of feeling so alone that they cannot do anything but look at it, wondering aloud to the universe while sitting on the carpeted steps in the back of their home, ‘what can I do? Please help me.” But that is where I was that night. And there is both a long story and a short story through the journey of its resolution and I’ll leave neither but will simply say that I sat down on the steps as one person, and got up from them as another. 


For on that very dark night, I came to understand that within the recesses and cavernous complexity of both experience and soul, there remains something within that eclipses all other losses. Because you may not receive all the things you believe you need to feel loved, but within you still lies the love you have to give for the beautiful and tender things upon this earth. And it is the Love you have to give that bestows warmth upon the world even as it nestles within to heal you when you most need it. 


So love your world. Love your earth. Love beautiful and tender things; bend down to hear them breathing with life, and find that place inside yourself to sit on the stairs and rise into the love you’ve always been.

 

© 2018 Amy Brook


Author's Note

Amy Brook
I'm experimenting with this platform for my in-progress series of stories so: apologies if I am doing this wrong, and thank you in advance for your time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on March 26, 2018
Last Updated on March 26, 2018
Tags: love, hardship, fear, pain, loneliness, overcoming, philosophy, darkness, resilience, loving your self, love the one you're with, and that's always you

Author

Amy Brook
Amy Brook

Salt Lake City, UT



About
I often dub myself "Aimless" which is a moniker I received from a teacher at Aptos High School (CA, circa 1985) in front of a class of my peers--who didn't know me except as the shy, new girl who.. more..