the countdown

the countdown

A Story by Brenden

When we are born we are all given a timer to count down the time before we meet our soulmate. my first memory off looking at it I was 12 and it read, 10 years 3 months 2 weeks and 22 days. now it reads 2 years 4 months 3 weeks and 3 days. I go meat up with my friends from college and a few of them have less then a year left and one of them Greg, is supposed to meet his soulmate today.


we all meet up after we finish our classes and we ask him "how much longer dude?" 

"It says 3 hours"

"well its your day what do you want to do?" asked Will 

Will was the nicest person any of us ever met. he never cared what we did as long as he got to hang out with us.


"uhm lets go  to the uhm. I don't have a damn clue haha." said greg


"well you have about two and a half hours to figure it out no rush, but you should figure it out quickly." said Mark

Mark was the a*****e of the group. But not so much so that we wanted nothing to do with him, he just had practically no filter.


"alright lets go get something to eat first, how about we go to applebees? said greg.


"Sounds good I love the food there" I reply


We all get in Marks car and start heading towards applebees. every five minutes Greg keepslooking at hs timer.


"dude chill you don't need to check every five minutes, chill out put some music on." said Mark


"I know but im just nervous. What do you think shell be llike?"


"I bet its gonna be a guy HAHA!" says Mark


"stop that will leave him alone. When was the last time you checked your timer Mark?" says Will


""it says 4 months 2 weeks and 20 days."


" well how do you think youll feel on your last few hours?"


"how the f**k am I supposed to know? I cant see the future... well this thing kinda can but that's beside the point."


"Well leave him alone he is literally about to meet theperson he will wake up next to for the rest of his life, he allowed to be nervous."


"guys shut up alright I wont look at it until after we leave."


"can we get dessert?" I ask


" really?" says Mark "i guess we have to see how it goes first we need to just play it by ear."


"please?" I persist


"don't worry buddy I want dessert too." says Greg


"we aregetting Dessert too then." says will


"fine." says mark


we get to aplebees and gregs timer goes down an hour.


"what the hell? says Greg "I think I'm supposed to meet her here."


"stop saying her it couldbe a guy you don't know" says Mark


"im going to punch you mark lleave him alone." I say


we finish eating dinner and ask for the dessert menu. I already know what I want, A chocolate meltdown. But they are still looking. after a few minutes we have all decided. We wave the waiter down and give him our orders. Moment later our dessert arrives. As Greg is about to take  his first bite he notices that his timer stopped, and we suddenly hear a loud crash outside. He drops his spoon and runs for the door. Me and Will follow and tell Mark to inform the waiter and that we will be right back.We arrive to the car and there was two people in it, her and her brother. Her brother was driving and survived she didn't make it though. He and mark talked for about five minutes while he explained what happened. The look on Gregs face is hearbraking.


Greg wants to be left alone and asks Mark to take him home. We cant argue with him right now he is devasted. the entire car ride is dead silence. we idnt even have the radio on. After we drop him off we all decide to go home. there was nothing we could do to fix this day.


The next morning I gto a phone call from Will. Greg killed himself last night. its common for that to happen people see no point in continuing without love.


the next person to meet his soulmate in our group is Will he has about 2 days left and then Mark follows with one month.


"will you plan your day yet?" I asked him.


"oh I was just gonna play it by ear."


"yeah I guess that's fine. you want to hang with us though or you want to be alone when it happens?"


"I'd like it to be just me."


"that's perfectly fine just call us as soon as you can after you meet your soulmate alright bud?"


"yeah no problem at all."


well the day is here. Will meets his soulmate today. me and mark decide to just drive around and smoke some pot. Its been a few hours and we are smaked. We get the call from Will but we are to high to have an actual conversation. we said well call him after we come down.


wwe final come down and give Will a call. HE is beyond excited.


"she had the most beautiful blue eyes, and slky smooth brown hair. Her name is Brittney and we met at the movies, we both got the same movie ticket and sat next to each other accidently on purpose."


"how do you accidently do something on purpose?" asked Mark


"well it was planned but we didn't plan it, accidently on purpose."


"that's great bro, when do we get to meet her?" I ask


"oh about that, we are actually about to get on a plane, uhm  we are going to florida and staying there im sorry guys."


"ah that's ok buddy, we'll all come visit when the time is right." I say


we hang up the phone, me and Mark then look at each other.


"I guess its just us now." says mark


"am I not good enough for you?" I say as I start laughing


"you cockmonkey that's not what I meant." exclaims mark with a chuckle


we both check our timers


Mark: 2 weeks 4 days and 6 hours.


Me: 1 year and 2 months


this things change every now and then they aren't perfect but they are never wrong.


Threre is one week left and Marks timer reset... its back to 4 years and 8 months


and mine stopped moving. 1 year, 1 month and 2 weeks. rach day I wake up and check it.  it hasn't moved.

© 2016 Brenden


Author's Note

Brenden
sorry for the grammer and spelling I decided to write this at 2 in the morning half asleep.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
Added on March 5, 2016
Last Updated on March 5, 2016

Author

Brenden
Brenden

Writing
7 years 7 years

A Poem by Brenden


6 words 6 words

A Story by Brenden