Little Girl

Little Girl

A Story by A.K. Rohner
"

A girl learning how to control her curse.

"
The young woman stood in the middle of the forest, her cloak wrapped snugly around her providing as much warmth as it could. The trees around her were made eerie by the darkness. The sun had just gone down, making a place that was usually very peaceful to her a nightmare come to life. There was a strange fog that seemed to be growing denser as the seconds ticked by. A cold wind whistled through the trees, the chilling temperature making goosebumps litter her skin, leaving it a rough texture. She shivered, her spine naturally forcing her body to commit to the action, and wrapped her cloak even tighter around her person. Her dark black cloak, the last thing she had gotten from her mother before her untimely demise.

She remembered it still. The shouts, the accusations, her mother warning her to stay away and pretend not to know her, her tear stained cheeks forever clear in her mind. But the flames, the smoke, the cheering, the smell of burning flesh in this young woman’s nose...she’d never forget that smell. Never.

That was why the forest was always the safest place to her. It was a place she could practice the gift she’d inherited from her mother. In a way, she wanted the people of her village to find out about her, to tie her to a stake and burn her. Then she could be with her mother. And the both of them would raise Hell in the afterlife, would show the villagers what two people like she and her mom could do, especially without the restrictions of mortal flesh.

The wind stopped...way too abruptly. She felt the fear prick up her spine once again, her cloak providing her more warmth and no comfort. She knew something was watching her from the trees, from the fog. She wasn’t ready. She couldn’t fight the likes of these things yet, she still needed time, needed practice. The feeling of dread heightened. They were getting closer. So why couldn’t she see them?

A scream stirred in her stomach and rose to her chest, begging her to let it slip out, to call for someone to help her, but her throat was too constricted to do anything. So the scream was silent, internal, especially as the three dark wolves, larger than they should have been, padded their way out of the trees, finally revealing their graceful, yet terrifying presence.

She wanted to raise her hands, to summon what she had to fend against them, but her hands stayed at her sides, balled into fists, shaking and sweating profusely. She looked into their eyes, their horrible yellow eyes, and watched in a silent paralysis as they got closer and closer, releasing snarls every few seconds. She’d wanted to see her mother again, but...but not like this. Not by these things. Yet when she closed her eyes and awaited the pain, she realized that she’d finally gotten what she’d wished for...death.

© 2017 A.K. Rohner


Author's Note

A.K. Rohner
Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good opening. Need to check for typos. Your story had me eager to read more. Love the intensity of the plot line. The ending left me waiting for the other boot to drop.

Like "she finally gotten what she'd wished for...death, BUT ...."

Good place for anther plot twist.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Good opening. Need to check for typos. Your story had me eager to read more. Love the intensity of the plot line. The ending left me waiting for the other boot to drop.

Like "she finally gotten what she'd wished for...death, BUT ...."

Good place for anther plot twist.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One thing which I did notice which was consistant throughout was the length of sentences - quie a few were too long and do need to be cut into 2, but saying thatm it didn't distract from me wanting to read on.


A good opener, he forest bit was well written. The second paragrpahs was quite intriguing. You then carry on with a mysterious thing/creature.monster hiding in the fog and the girls seemed to be at a loss of how to use her powers.
Its a shame the way in which it ended, I for one was expecting her to rage hellfire on the predators that were around but, alas, she died.
You painted a good picture of exactly what was happening and it was a quick easy read.

I enjoyed it.

Mark.


Posted 7 Years Ago


Hmmm Very intresting. I am asuming her like her mother was a witch in the times of inquisiton? A horrible time. And what might those beasts be? Wolf people? I like leaving it up to the imagination so far. Good stuff I like the eery mood set. Poor little girl. So is there more to this story? If so I can't wait to read it!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on July 25, 2017

Author

A.K. Rohner
A.K. Rohner

About
Author of A Blaze of Beginnings on amazon.com more..

Writing