Bear Claw

Bear Claw

A Story by Alaska Rose
"

A one-shot story I wrote in the eighth grade about a Native American who must brave the wilderness alone as his 'coming of age' ritual. Please read and review!

"
Travels Fast sat deep in the forest, waiting, waiting. He sat on the carpet mad of leaves in his hut made of branches and jungle vines. He couldn't wait for tomorrow, at dawn, when he would return to his tripe, tell his story, and receive his true name.

It was his tribe's custom that when a boy killed his first buffalo, he would be taken into the forest and be left to fend for himself for one moon. Travels Fast would have to be strong, intelligent, and resourceful to survive the dangers of the forest.


The next morning, Travels Fast told his story. He had used his hand-made knife, the only tool he had, to make his hut, his bow and arrows, and his spear. When he had been attacked by a she-bear after finding her cub, he had fended her off with his spear. His proof of this was that he had two of the she-bear's claws and one sharp tooth hanging from a string around his neck.


Travels Fast told his story all day as he danced around the fire. When he had finished, he sat down and hoped that he had impressed the Elders of his tribe.


As the sun set at the end of the day, and the rays were shining red and gold in brilliant shades over the mountain, Medicine Man rose and faced the tribe.


"Travels Fast has shown his bravery by performing a great feat. He has fought the great she-bear and won." He called out to the tribe, eyes toward the sun's last golden streaks. "From this day forth, he shall be known as Bear Claw, The Hunter of Bears."

© 2010 Alaska Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really goood story.. I love it.. Nicely done.. Keep going.. ;) You can go somewhere with this.. So don't give up. Keep trying..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A outstanding story. The Native American beliefs were of the needs and will of life.I like the story. The ending was very good. Names are earn not given. A excellent story. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2010
Last Updated on April 15, 2010
Tags: bear claw, native american, hunt

Author

Alaska Rose
Alaska Rose

CA



About
Hi! I'm Alaska Rose, but am more commonly referred to as "Ala". It's not my real name, but I've answered to Ala so often online that I probably would do so in real life. Anyway, a little about me: .. more..

Writing
A.D.D. A.D.D.

A Chapter by Alaska Rose



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Mary


Chapter 11 Chapter 11

A Chapter by Mary


Otherness Otherness

A Poem by Mary


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Mary