war drum.

war drum.

A Poem by alan khan

there's a terrible thumping, shattering consciousness. and holy morale.


it is a song long forgotten and washed clean by the heavy tide of modern confusion.



it speaks only to a few, and while all students of warfare fancy themselves a warrior..
this thumping rhythm reserves itself to only be heard by those willing enough..



death and blood have plagued my awareness for years. since adolescence.


indeed for the centuries i have endured, i've shed much sanity to cope with the endless hoard of punishment.

hunger, poverty, desperation, and crippled physicality, all are outweighed..
by the loss of the ability to remain an empathetic, sympathetic, loving individual.





while i still will always carry my lust and unrequited longing for life.
i am broken to the gear.

how i long for the lush fields of emerald to combat the gray matter that infests my heart so..
for chaos occupy my thoughts..
storms stampeding through all i know.


indeed this song.. this rhythmic warm drum.
signifies only my fall.




and i smile at the face i see in reflection.

for tragedy and comedy are the same.


numb from all. i no longer scoff with remorse..
only chuckle with disdain.




 

© 2011 alan khan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"hunger, poverty, desperation, and crippled physicality, all are outweighed..
by the loss of the ability to remain an empathetic, sympathetic, loving individual."
We live in a world blinded to the sick and the homeless. We are blinded by weddings of the richest family in the world and the support death of a terrorist. Media tries to blind us to the real world. Ain't much different in Asia or Africa. Cities like Detroit, Trenton and so many more have nothing. Your poetry strong and powerful as always. People who walk the streets and see the pain. Know the truth. Rich men and woman don't worry about the price of gas and food for their children. Time for our leaders to come down to us. You want to be pissed off. Look at a Senator or House Rep. yearly budget. A average of 2.3 million each to live and eat. We are not blind to this. It is time. Simple solution to save money. Less Government. A outstanding poem. You made me think again.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Brilliant write, some spelling errors, but I can't tell if those are MEANT to be there, or not... Anywho awesome diction, the rythm and rhyme was flawless!
"hunger, poverty, desperation, and crippled physicality, all are outweighed..
by the loss of the ability to remain an empathetic, sympathetic, loving individual." I loved those lines, it's true and raw, and almost biting. It definitely emphasizes the absurdity of what our society today considers to be worse or even "taboo" versus was is considered "Acceptable" or "normal". I also loved the changed font at the end, and the emphasis thus put on the words there was perfect "For tragedy and comedy are the same" in today's world that is so true, that reading those lines leaves you breathless from the sneak peek at a reality we've turned a blind eye to. Once again, Brilliant job Alan!

~Adora





Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 31, 2011
Last Updated on July 25, 2011

Author

alan khan
alan khan

Mint Hill, NC



About
I'm Alan Khan. more..

Writing
shiver shiver

A Poem by alan khan