Berial's Task

Berial's Task

A Story by Albert Freeman
"

A demon's thoughts on the job ahead.

"

   Berial darted his long forked tongue across his lips. He bounced on hooved feet with impatient anticipation. This weeks batch of souls promised to be a bumper crop. With plague running wild there would even be the possibility of a few innocents making their way to Hells Gate. He looked from side to side at the other demons who waited and carefully wiped a snarl off his face. He longed for the old days when there was a maddened rush to claim souls, but with Derivial's ascent to Arch-Daemon order had come to the sowing fields of hell.

 

    The anticipation of shock, fear, and despair that would be upon the faces of the lost brought a shiver to Berial. He brought his hands higher to clasp hold of his horns to steady himself. After the shock and fear would come the visible black aura designating which souls Berial and the others could reap for their masters. The fun would start soon after as the hunt was still allowed. One just couldn't use the hunt to settle old scores with others. With the hell hounds roaming wide they would catch any who took the time to eliminate future competition.

 

    He glanced up towards the darkened skies and smiled at the gathering blood lightening that shot through the deadened gray clouds. He could feel the electricity building in the air and like all the other demons his eyes turned toward the light-damned gates. Shrugging his shoulders, he flexed his bat-like wings and reached down to pick up his scythe. His hands trailed over the ancient reaver and traced out the runes upon it. After more than two thousand years seeing them no longer pained him. The fall from heaven had long ceased to torment him. If given the choice again he would have gladly choosen Lucifers banner again.

 

    Beyond the gates and the gated walls of Hells Gate, he could hear the distant rumble starting and getting louder. The clouds above thundered and crackled with sheets of lightning. His scythe began to hum and with it his fangs grew longer. The hunger of lost souls built up in him and with it came his rage. It was the souls that laid him and his fellow demons low. Humanity, chosen by God above those who came before. The venom dripped from his fangs as the distant sounds grew louder and more concentrated.

 

    Berial smiled as the gates began to open. He began to make his way forward as the reaping began...

 

 

© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
All Reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ooh, this is a great short story and the descriptions are just awesome. You did a fantastic job writing this, nice work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


gruesomely descriptive and great read ! I think your poetry has helped to increase your descriptive abilities, your writing is smoother then ever before and fuller if you know what i mean. I'm seeing the picture you write and i'm enjoying the read. I hope theres more to this story :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2008

Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing